2012 - 2013 College Basketball Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: 2012 - 2013 College Basketball Season

Post by KCPowercat »

AJoD wrote:
KCMax wrote:Martin has a pretty good thing going at KSU. If he bolts, its gotta either be (a) someone throws a boatload of money at him; (b) its a job that is clearly a step up (Illinois would be, South Carolina would not) or (c) he really can't stand Currie.
He also might not like living in Manhattan, KS. I think that would have to be tough for an east coast city guy.
That's not Frank...and if he was, not something that would be relieved in South Carolina, would it?
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

AJoD wrote:
KCMax wrote:Martin has a pretty good thing going at KSU. If he bolts, its gotta either be (a) someone throws a boatload of money at him; (b) its a job that is clearly a step up (Illinois would be, South Carolina would not) or (c) he really can't stand Currie.
He also might not like living in Manhattan, KS. I think that would have to be tough for an east coast city guy.
Michael Beasley said that Manhattan and Miami are basically the same thing!

I really think the location knock against Manhattan is overblown. It's a nice town, it is a growing town, and for a coach who is a family man, it is a good place to raise kids. Some people like a change of pace, and actually want to get away from their hometown. Living in KC, moving to Arizona seemed to be like being on vacation everyday. My students don't understand why people move here and most can't wait to get out, and many would love to live in a place like Manhattan. Great coaches also tend to be workaholics- how many amenities do they need? How much time will they spend on the beach? If he really wants to go, Martin is making enough money to fly out if he wants to.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

someone throws a boatload of money at him
Years ago the things I read and HR advisors said was money was not a primary motivator for workers. It might work on a short term basis but after awhile a workers job satisfaction falls back to accomplishment, recognition, and so on. So in this case what is it that really motivates Frank Martin? With his new job might he be changing careers? :shock:
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

phxcat wrote:
AJoD wrote:
Michael Beasley said that Manhattan and Miami are basically the same thing!

I really think the location knock against Manhattan is overblown. It's a nice town, it is a growing town, and for a coach who is a family man, it is a good place to raise kids. Some people like a change of pace, and actually want to get away from their hometown. Living in KC, moving to Arizona seemed to be like being on vacation everyday. My students don't understand why people move here and most can't wait to get out, and many would love to live in a place like Manhattan. Great coaches also tend to be workaholics- how many amenities do they need? How much time will they spend on the beach? If he really wants to go, Martin is making enough money to fly out if he wants to.
Agree. Most college towns are in pretty rural areas, at least an hour or so from any big city.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
someone throws a boatload of money at him
Years ago the things I read and HR advisors said was money was not a primary motivator for workers. It might work on a short term basis but after awhile a workers job satisfaction falls back to accomplishment, recognition, and so on. So in this case what is it that really motivates Frank Martin? With his new job might he be changing careers? :shock:
Most workers don't have an agent whose sole purpose is to make them more money.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I'd say Martin's main motivation is to have a positive impact on the lives of young men and to win a national championship. He will probably gravitate towards the place where he can accomplish both most realistically (and be financially secure in doing so). South Carolina would be a step back toward competing on the national level. It could be a 3 or 4+ year step back, too.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I don't know who this guy is or why I should care, but I guess it's a good thing for Mizzou, according to some.

Alex Oriakhi chooses Missouri.
He chose Mizzou over Kentucky, Xavier, Duke and North Carolina.
:shock:

I don't know why he would choose Mizzou over Duke, North Carolina, or the defending national champions. :-k
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

AllThingsKC wrote:I don't know who this guy is or why I should care, but I guess it's a good thing for Mizzou, according to some.

Alex Oriakhi chooses Missouri.
He chose Mizzou over Kentucky, Xavier, Duke and North Carolina.
:shock:

I don't know why he would choose Mizzou over Duke, North Carolina, or the defending national champions. :-k
Playing time. Duke and Carolina have much more depth in the frontcourt than Mizzou does next year, so Oriakhi saw a better chance to contribute in a meaningful way elsewhere. That and a prior relationship with Phil Pressey that put Mizzou in his mind when he started looking around a while ago.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

One reason why Missouri may be a big surprise in Basketball next season after losing so much talent off this year's team. Transfers: 4 of them and all of them having a potential impact.

http://rushthecourt.net/2012/04/18/most ... xt-season/
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KU releases their schedule

http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/m-bas ... 12aac.html

They'll play SLU at Sprint Center in late November. Michigan State (game played in Atlanta), at Ohio State, Temple and Colorado will be the toughest challenges.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

that seems like a pretty tough non-con. Belmont and Richmond are good mid-majors that make the tournament every year.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

K-State bball schedule:

http://curtiskitchen.com/k-state-releas ... -schedule/

K-State will be in the Pre-season NIT and could play in Madison Square Garden. Will play Gonzaga in Seattle and Florida in KC. UMKC is also on the schedule.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

ESPN's Gameday coming to Lawrence Feb 16 for the KU/Texas game. Mizzou will also be on Gameday Feb 23 when they travel to Kentucky.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/08/37 ... meday.html
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KU is in Europe right now and has defeated the Swiss national team twice now. The timing of this trip is perfect, considering the team will have a very different identity next year. The sooner they figure some things out, the better. They will play a few games next against French league A and B league players.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Also, its KU vs. MU right now in the Olympics as Sasha Kaun's Russian team battles Linas Kleiza's Lithuanian team in the quarterfinals.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote:ESPN's Gameday coming to Lawrence Feb 16 for the KU/Texas game. Mizzou will also be on Gameday Feb 23 when they travel to Kentucky.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/08/37 ... meday.html
Mizzou - Kentucky will be interesting. Particularly since at least one major sports publication is picking Mizzou to win the SEC.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Someone's going to explain the hand signs to me. Also: that's a D1 college basketball team?!
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Top 50 programs of the past 50 years. Doesn't include the top 2 yet...which will be UCLA and UNC.

KU #5.

Mizzou #37

K-State #38

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... series&wjb
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcmetro wrote:Top 50 programs of the past 50 years. Doesn't include the top 2 yet...which will be UCLA and UNC.

KU #5.

Mizzou #37

K-State #38

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... series&wjb
MIZZOU BASKETBALL - ALMOST AS RELEVANT AS WESTERN KENTUCKY! FEEL THE HISTORY!