KANROCKSAS

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: KANROCKSAS

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: I'm not sure I understand this argument. Most all touring acts play big markets every couple years. Occasionally, for the huge festivals an act will come out of retirement or reform. What are your expectations for a music festival at the KS Speedway?
my point is just that i cannot see 100,000 people clamoring to pay $170 for a festival at the speedway in august when all of the bands frequent KC. 

now, if bands like the current touring pink floyd (roger waters?) were playing, or radiohead, or daft punk, or other popular acts like that who haven't been to KC ever or in a long time, i think it makes more sense for the promoters to have such high expectations. 

as for my "expectations for a music festival at the KS Speedway," yeah this is pretty much right on.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

This thread is funny.  Because, if this exact same lineup was scheduled for a location in KCMO, people on this board would love it.  But it's in Kansas, so automatically, the bands suck. 

The fact is that 6 of the bands already released are solid.  Eminem, Muse, The Black Keys, Girl Talk, The Flaming Lips, Arctic Monkeys.  The other bands are decent.  I mean, it's not Woodstock, but give the promoter a break.  It's the first year of the festival. 

Maybe they don't haul in 100K visitors.  So what?  Is it a failure if they only bring in 80,000? 

jezuzcrist, we should be happy that the metro area is adding another solid music festival. 
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KC-wildcat wrote: The fact is that 6 3 of the bands already released are solid.  Eminem, Muse, The Black Keys, Girl Talk, The Flaming Lips, Arctic Monkeys.  The other bands are decent popular and will help them make money.  I mean, it's not Woodstock, but give the promoter a break.  It's the first year of the festival.
FYP^.

I'm happy this concert is coming to the area and could care less which side of the state line it is on.  It is a tad annoying that this festival will be known as "that festival in Kansas on the Nascar track with the terrible name," but it could just as easily be "that festival in Missouri in the NFL parking lot with the terrible name."  The headliners are lame, but that is probably beside the point.  They can probably make more money with them than without them in KC, so I can't fault them for wanting to bring in the most people period.  If they announce some better middle tier bands, I could be interested, but I have already seen Girl Talk and the Black Keys within the last year. 

http://lineup.lollapalooza.com

Lollapalooza has never been about the headliners, imo.  It is about all of the dozens of other bands you can see and the overwhelming amount of good bands.  The KC festival will only work if they bring in a good complement to the headliners. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Personally I couldn't care less where this is located and I prefer it far away from me.....those bands don't interest me.....hanging around some of those fans in the middle of the summer in a camping environment sounds like a level of hell. To each their own though.....anything that brings in tourists I'm good with.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote: Personally I couldn't care less where this is located and I prefer it far away from me.....those bands don't interest me.....hanging around some of those fans in the middle of the summer in a camping environment sounds like a level of hell. To each their own though.....anything that brings in tourists I'm good with.
exactly.  you could pay me $50 and i wouldn't walk across the street to see these bands.  but, if people flock to the KC area from the surrounding region to attend this festival, i support it.  the speedway seems like a fine venue for the event, though sure i would rather see it in penn valley park or the riverfront, but whatever.  august is a particularly brutal time for such an event though...
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

Muse; Because idiots need a Radiohead.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

chrizow wrote: exactly.  you could pay me $50 and i wouldn't walk across the street to see these bands.  but, if people flock to the KC area from the surrounding region to attend this festival, i support it.  the speedway seems like a fine venue for the event, though sure i would rather see it in penn valley park or the riverfront, but whatever.  august is a particularly brutal time for such an event though...
Would be interesting to see people camping (legally) in Penn Valley or Riverfront.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

chrizow wrote: august is a particularly brutal time for such an event though...
Good thing they will have a ring of asphalt, angled directly at the concertgoers, beaming 100+ degree waves of hot at everyone.
nilsson1941 wrote: Muse; Because idiots need a Radiohead.
That made my day.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i am completely in favor of a kcrag music snob smackdown of kanrocksas.  bring it on!

(i don't feel bad about it either, b/c it's not like this is some charity - dude wants people to pay $170 to see D12 and Primus and then cash in seven figures).
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

At Sonic Spectrum trivia last night (don't judge) the Kanrocksas festival was the answer to one of the questions. Everyone laughed as soon as the question was asked. People then mocked various aspects of the festival (location, lineup, name). This will be a hit with college students in surrounding states, but that's about it.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

nilsson1941 wrote: At Sonic Spectrum trivia last night (don't judge) the Kanrocksas festival was the answer to one of the questions. Everyone laughed as soon as the question was asked. People then mocked various aspects of the festival (location, lineup, name). This will be a hit with college students in surrounding states, but that's about it.
Well, if it's mocked by music nerds at nerdy music trivia, then it has no chance. If those people aren't willing to show up and buy $1.50 cans of PBR - possibly scan the merch table for some skinny jeans - then how will they ever make money?
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

I was trying to illustrate how this festival may not appeal to certain people(like music trivia people or even people on this board) it will still be successful. You and i more or less agree. Also, I thought the incidents shows how devisive this festival already is.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

WSPanic wrote: Well, if it's mocked by music nerds at nerdy music trivia, then it has no chance. If those people aren't willing to show up and buy $1.50 cans of PBR - possibly scan the merch table for some vinyl- then how will they ever make money?
FYP  :D
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I've been trying to think of what show I would pay $170 to see. What would it take to get me to shell out that kind of cash for a concert? It's tough because almost all my music nerdery is pre-1980 and a bunch of it is pre-1960, so in most cases it would have to involve bringing people back from the dead. :/
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote: I've been trying to think of what show I would pay $170 to see. What would it take to get me to shell out that kind of cash for a concert? It's tough because almost all my music nerdery is pre-1980 and a bunch of it is pre-1960, so in most cases it would have to involve bringing people back from the dead. :/
well, let's have it.  i'd rather hear about your $170 show than continue bitching about eminem performing at a nascar track. 
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

chrizow wrote: well, let's have it.  i'd rather hear about your $170 show than continue bitching about eminem performing at a nascar track. 
:D

A day won't go by without someone shitting on people for having different tastes. Unless the concert had beer in the title, featured 3 millions types of beer and let you get in free if you wore a beer-related t-shirt from college to see bands from the 80s then the majority of forumers wouldn't be interested.

This concert isn't my thing, but who the F cares if someone is excited to go and wants to pay almost $200 to camp in 120 temps?  Maybe the add'l artist announcements or next year's lineup will be more exciting for some people.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kcjak wrote: :D

A day won't go by without someone shitting on people for having different tastes. Unless the concert had beer in the title, featured 3 millions types of beer and let you get in free if you wore a beer-related t-shirt from college to see bands from the 80s then the majority of forumers wouldn't be interested.

This concert isn't my thing, but who the F cares if someone is excited to go and wants to pay almost $200 to camp in 120 temps?  Maybe the add'l artist announcements or next year's lineup will be more exciting for some people.
i dont think anyone is shitting on anyone for having different tastes.  it's not like mean or i are saying "kcjak is a LOSER because he likes A Perfect Circle."  instead, i am merely saying that A Perfect Circle really sucks.

A Perfect Circle - The Outsider (live)
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chrizow wrote: well, let's have it.  i'd rather hear about your $170 show than continue bitching about eminem performing at a nascar track. 
I dunno. The first thing I thought of was Parliament circa 1976 on the Mothership Connection tour, but $170? Naaahhh. I'd definitely pay $170 to go back to 1929 and see Bennie Moten's Kansas City Orchestra shortly after he recruited a young Count Basie. I'm sure the time machine alone would run me more than $170, though.
chrizow wrote: i dont think anyone is shitting on anyone for having different tastes.  it's not like mean or i are saying "kcjak is a LOSER because he likes A Perfect Circle."  instead, i am merely saying that A Perfect Circle really sucks.
That's the first I've ever heard of A Perfect Circle. It sounds more or less like every other generic hard rock / grunge band from the last 20 years. Which is fine, just not really my thing. It could be worse, they could be one of those awful bands that omit a vowel and/or get creative with spelling like Trapt or Staind.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Showing my age but went to the first Bonnaroo in 2002. The thing that separates it from this is that I'd think that fans of Widespread Panic and Robert Randolph would be much more into a festival and camping than Eminem fans.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

NDTeve wrote: Showing my age but went to the first Bonnaroo in 2002. The thing that separates it from this is that I'd think that fans of Widespread Panic and Robert Randolph would be much more into a festival and camping than Eminem fans.
FYI... Eminem is an Eagle Scout.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown