Suspicious death in Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Tragic beating in Westport

Post by voltopt »

This is terrible and sad, but I doubt its the "end of Westport nightlife."  Westport has already transitioned away from the annoying party central it was in the 80s and 90s, thankfully becoming a more boutique and neighborhood oriented crowd.  I work and spend quite a bit of time in the area, and it is consistently packed.  Sadly there have been random late night murders before in Westport AND Downtown, and these have not seemed to deter people from socializing in these areas. 

That said, maybe someone should break off the discussion of this terrible event and place it in a different thread where it belongs. 
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Tragic beating in Westport

Post by KCPowercat »

Its no more the end if westport nightlife than it was the end of mass street nightlife or other entertainment districts nightlife after similiar situations. Don't feed the metro troll.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: Its no more the end if westport nightlife than it was the end of mass street nightlife or other entertainment districts nightlife after similiar situations. Don't feed the metro troll.
Anyone who doesn't agree with KCP = troll.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

there's a common theme with most of these violent crimes... they occur between midnight and 5am.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not at all metro....but come on with that one liner. That's trolling 101

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

As awful as this is, I would expect this to occur once a year or so in drinking districts in just about every US city.  I don't think P&L has had a murder yet but apparently there has already been a late nite shooting or two.  Violence will obviously continue to occur in drinking districts across the US, especially those that have more 'inner city' vibe to it for a lack of a better word.  There will be another one in Westport in a year or so too.

That said, I do wish America's Pub would close.
TfromKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by TfromKC »

Can someone point me to a documented other instance of someone being beaten to death in a popular KC entertainment district by a gang of people while others watched and took cell phone videos? Unprovoked? And where the victim was one race and all his attackers were of another race(allegedly)?

People trying to sweep this under the rug and chalk it up to "C'est la vie" are crazy. I'm the biggest KC metro area supporter there is(I live Downtown), but if what "allegedly" happened "actually" happened, this is a huge, huge deal, and those who don't realize/admit it are blind. 

I admit wholeheartedly we need to wait for all the details, and I hope it turns out the initial speculation is wrong, and I'll be the first to man up and eat crow if it is. I really hope it is wrong.

I just can't believe something of this magnitude happens and people's attitude is "Yeah, this happens in big cities". Really? People get randomly attacked by a gang and beaten to death in a crowded entertainment district?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

random murders are rare everywhere - though they happen, rarely, everywhere.  there is zero official evidence (yet) that this incident was a gang beating, so i dont see why people keep perpetuating that rumor. 
TfromKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by TfromKC »

chrizow wrote: random murders are rare everywhere - though they happen, rarely, everywhere.  there is zero official evidence (yet) that this incident was a gang beating, so i dont see why people keep perpetuating that rumor. 
I do agree with this as well, and you are correct there is zero official evidence. I'm at fault more than anyone for running with that speculation.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Can someone point me to a documented other instance of someone being beaten to death in a popular KC entertainment district by a gang of people while others watched and took cell phone videos? Unprovoked? And where the victim was one race and all his attackers were of another race(allegedly)?
There still isn't one

ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

while reading this thread i keep making a comparison to terrorism and how people say if we let acts of terrorist violence change our lives then "the terrorists win".

What happened is obviously terrible, no matter what the actual circumstances leading up to it are. But regardless of who perpetuates violence, if we change our lifestyle or abandon territory because of it, isn't that "letting them win"? I for one am not interested in seeing that happen.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

TfromKC wrote: Can someone point me to a documented other instance of someone being beaten to death in a popular KC entertainment district by a gang of people while others watched and took cell phone videos? Unprovoked? And where the victim was one race and all his attackers were of another race(allegedly)?

Haven't seen this reported yet. However, it seems that anyone who says anything short of "I will never go to Westport again because black people will kill me" is "sweeping it under the rug." I'm sorry if you knew the guy and I feel bad for anyone who suffers a loss like this - but some of us live, shop and otherwise conduct our lives in Westport, and are not going to stop doing-so because of one murder.

So, I guess I'm "sweeping it under the rug."
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
TfromKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by TfromKC »

Didn't say I'm never going to Westport. Plan to go often for lunch, dinner, and even drinks. But as DaveKCMO said, there have been numerous muggings, assaults, and murders in Westport the last few years, and they always happen fairly late at night. I said I don't plan to be there late at night.

I realize things can happen anywhere. I live Downtown. But there have been numerous instances late at night in Westport, and if other people want to be down there at that time, have at it. Good for you. If you know any KCMO cops like I do, ask them what they think and if they would want anyone they care about down there after midnight.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cp.....you let them win at the Jones :)

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

TfromKC wrote: Didn't say I'm never going to Westport. Plan to go often for lunch, dinner, and even drinks. But as DaveKCMO said, there have been numerous muggings, assaults, and murders in Westport the last few years, and they always happen fairly late at night. I said I don't plan to be there late at night.

I realize things can happen anywhere. I live Downtown. But there have been numerous instances late at night in Westport, and if other people want to be down there at that time, have at it. Good for you. If you know any KCMO cops like I do, ask them what they think and if they would want anyone they care about down there after midnight.
Actually, you said this incident would be the death of nightlife in Westport. People were disagreeing with you. And, I'm sure your police friends would disagree with you too.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

well KCP, while i can handle random acts of violence, I have less of a tolerance for Jersey Shore extras vomiting all over each other to the beats of whatever b-list DJ they can score from Vegas ;)
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Is it just me or do a large percentage of these crimes occur in or around America's Pub?  Or involve patrons leaving/entering America's Pub?  
TfromKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by TfromKC »

WSPanic wrote: Actually, you said this incident would be the death of nightlife in Westport. People were disagreeing with you. And, I'm sure your police friends would disagree with you too.
I don't mind people disagreeing with me. And you are right, I'm sure life will go on in Westport. But if/when a suburban white kid gets beaten to death unprovoked, that is usually not good for business.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

KC-wildcat wrote: Is it just me or do a large percentage of these crimes occur in or around America's Pub?  Or involve patrons leaving/entering America's Pub?  

It's not just you.  I heard that Balanca's got their liquor license revoked again for violence out front last weekend.  The same needs to happen to America's Pub for this incident.  Westport is becoming a very unique neighborhood again with a lot of great new additions.   One bad apple......
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Who said it was unprovoked or even a beatdown?