2010 Kansas City Wizards

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: 2010 Kansas City Wizards

Post by kcjak »

KCMax wrote: On another note, which one of you was the streaker at halftime?
Wasn't me - I signed up to streak at Zona Rosa that night  :)
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCMax wrote: On another note, which one of you was the streaker at halftime?
See if you can figure it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ09eJlpyKY

On another note, we benched Josh Wolff and won. My post above must have been onto something.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I just heard Kietzman say something about the Wizards changing their name next year.  Anyone hear what it might be?
KC is the way to be!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote: I just heard Kietzman say something about the Wizards changing their name next year.  Anyone hear what it might be?
"The Team That Beat Manchester United"
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCMax wrote: "The Team That Beat Manchester United"
in their new old stadium.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
ramseym_com
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ramseym_com »

Here's some photos I took from the Manchester United game @Arrowhead. It was INCREDIBLE being there. These were taken with my point -and- shoot Canon S90. Enjoy! (the full set is on Flickr: http://bit.ly/cPm78L)
--
http://www.ramseymohsen.com

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Wow, great photos, Ramsey, as always.  Thanks for posting.  I always look forward to your work.

I just found this as a comment on ESPN.  So, if I read it on the internets, it must be true!!

FYI - KC Wizards and their ownership group, OnGoal, are changing their names (sometime in August they will make the announcement). OnGoal will be called the Sporting Club of Kansas City, and the Wizards will be called Sporting Kansas City. The have a really cool European crest designed with symbols meaningful to our city. I have a friend that works for the Wizards.
KC is the way to be!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

AllThingsKC wrote: I just heard Kietzman say something about the Wizards changing their name next year.  Anyone hear what it might be?
Hearne Christopher's abortion-of-a-website is reporting that they are considering selling the team naming rights - The Kansas City Sprint.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
ramseym_com
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ramseym_com »

Thanks @AllThingsKC.

The name change would sure be good timing with a new stadium wouldn't it?  :)

On a #geeky note, I'm really impressed with the Canon S90 point and shoot. It's got a lot of controls similar to a DSLR. It's hard to tell the difference with some of these photos compared to my 40D. Just side-note.
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

ramseym_com wrote: Here's some photos I took from the Manchester United game @Arrowhead. It was INCREDIBLE being there. These were taken with my point -and- shoot Canon S90. Enjoy! (the full set is on Flickr: http://bit.ly/cPm78L)

Thanks for all these great shots - a ton of Man U shirts out there, but from crowd reaction, you could tell the stadium was definitely behind the Wizards. A fun event, and 110 where I stood (with staugio :)) was rocking. I'd love to see even more of these in the future. Lebron Paul McCartney Man U, what other global icons will be visiting this year?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

szazzy wrote: Thanks for all these great shots - a ton of Man U shirts out there, but from crowd reaction, you could tell the stadium was definitely behind the Wizards. A fun event, and 110 where I stood (with staugio :)) was rocking. I'd love to see even more of these in the future. Lebron Paul McCartney Man U, what other global icons will be visiting this year?
Don't forget the leader of the free world was in town just a few weeks ago.

Great pics Ramsey!

Sporting KC - I kinda like it. Will be interested in seeing what the crest looks like. I imagine a fountain and the Bartle pylons with a soccer ball.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

KCMax wrote: Don't forget the leader of the free world was in town just a few weeks ago.

Great pics Ramsey!

Sporting KC - I kinda like it. Will be interested in seeing what the crest looks like. I imagine a fountain and the Bartle pylons with a soccer ball.
The rumors for Sporting KC are heating up - we'll see. If they buy up the rugby blues, maybe start a lacrosse team, go to the Euro model of one club many sports, it could have some authenticity, but it strikes me as just on the wrong side of Europosing. The backlash from the hardcore supporters will be there if they don't make every effort to preserve our strange history. I've always been in favor of rebranding, but I'm torn on Sporting. I become more comfortable with it the longer I think about it, so that's at least an okay sign.

We play Toronto this Saturday at CAB at 7:30. A couple wins in a row might wake up even more of the fanbase that has been waiting for a sign. The 1100+ new season tickets they sold this week is a good start.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

WSPanic wrote: Hearne Christopher's abortion-of-a-website is reporting that they are considering selling the team naming rights - The Kansas City Sprint.
Perhaps they will be named Sporting KC, but they will sell the rights to their jerseys to Sprint.  That is a more likely scenario.

If you want an old world name, you can choose from FC, AC, United, Real, Inter, City (which doesn't really work for KC), Athletic, Sporting, or something a bit less universal like Wanderers or Rovers.

I'm a fan of the name change.  Anything like those listed above will be more respectable than the Wizards, which sounds like you are in for game of quidditch with an 8 year old.  I would like them to retain it as a nickname, though.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

bobbyhawks wrote: City (which doesn't really work for KC)
I think people often think this is our name internationally, so they refer to us as "Kansas" since we're the only team here.
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

WSPanic wrote: Hearne Christopher's abortion-of-a-website is reporting that they are considering selling the team naming rights - The Kansas City Sprint.
In this interview with Kietzman on 810, Heineman states explicitly that he's heard these rumors and the team is not going in that direction. He actually touches on a lot of stuff regarding the future of the Wizards, including teasing that the US National Team might open the stadium next year.

Under Additional Programming (first in the list as of today)
http://810whb.com/podcasts
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Another 3 points for the Wizards as they beat Toronto FC 1-0.
KC is the way to be!
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Went to the game last night. First time in T-Bones stadium nice time and would go again. I did hear rumor of logo change from inside Wizards walls..
P&L Free since 2008
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

elextendo wrote: Went to the game last night. First time in T-Bones stadium nice time and would go again. I did hear rumor of logo change from inside Wizards walls..
Where were your tickets? I've found that your experience at a Wizards game at CAB varies greatly depending on where you sit. Not the greatest game I've ever seen, but our former offensive genius of a player, Preki has turned into the most cynical defensive minded coach in the league. He wins fairly consistently with bad teams though, so it's hard to say it doesn't work. Thought there was a great energy in the stands on my side. You could tell the Man U game lifted the spirits of the fanbase.

Can't wait to see this team play on a huge field in comparison to CAB or Arrowhead. The short narrow field makes for too much ping-pong through the middle, and not enough width to spread a defense out.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

We sat on the field literally on the corner flag. Also Name change going to be announce end of the month. I know people who got asked to build the big reveal.
P&L Free since 2008
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

We sat on the field literally on the corner flag. Also Name change going to be announce end of the month. I know people who got asked to build the big reveal.
Well now that's a bit of news I don't think has made the rounds yet.

Word on other internet streets is the team is looking at signing Ghanaian Steven Appiah as a Designated Player. Anyone know him? I figured this was a good place to test name recognition outside the devoted followers.