Kansas City to get 2012 MLB All-Star Game

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Kansas City to get 2012 MLB All-Star Game

Post by KansasCityCraka »

There is no announcement yet because it is not awarded to us yet. Boston wants it too. 2012 will be the 100th anniversary of Fenway and Boston is pushing for it real hard. They said KC is still the front runners and an announcment would be made within the next 1-1.5 months.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: Maybe some guy from Boston will ask one of them why the fuck they are dressed for a college basketball game at the MLB All Star Game.  I would give anything to see that.  :lol:
There is an easy answer for that - "I would have wore my Royals' jersey but KU basketball players have about as good a chance as getting voted on to the All Star team as a Royal".  
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

GRID wrote: Forgot about that.

Damn place will be full of JoCo KU crap wearing fans.  Most JaCo people won't be able to afford to go or won't be able to pass up on scalping tix to the JoCo crowd that must go where they can see people and be seen (KU shirt and all).

Even though they paid for the stadium ;)....and voted down the roof...

Maybe some guy from Boston will ask one of them why the fuck they are dressed for a college basketball game at the MLB All Star Game.  I would give anything to see that.  :lol:

You started it  :D
I know I feel better about this now. 
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KansasCityCraka wrote: There is no announcement yet because it is not awarded to us yet. Boston wants it too. 2012 will be the 100th anniversary of Fenway and Boston is pushing for it real hard. They said KC is still the front runners and an announcment would be made within the next 1-1.5 months.
Right, I have my doubts that we will be selected.  It might be better to get it in 2014 or something.  At least there is at least a remote possibility that we might have improved our transit and hotel situation by then.  Funkhouser will be gone by 2012 right???  Don't need him embarrassing or putting down the city for national reporters, they would eat that up.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

KansasCityCraka wrote: There is no announcement yet because it is not awarded to us yet. Boston wants it too. 2012 will be the 100th anniversary of Fenway and Boston is pushing for it real hard. They said KC is still the front runners and an announcment would be made within the next 1-1.5 months.
Boston hosted it in 1999, but that will not keep baseball from returning there again in 2012. Pittsburgh hosted the allstar game in 1994, and then again in 2006.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ws...just kidding, I was digging that topic as well...just was hoping this might light a fire to some big city projects.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCPowercat wrote: Ws...just kidding, I was digging that topic as well...just was hoping this might light a fire to some big city projects.
I know - I was just messing around.

I think we have a better shot at 2012. By 2014, Minnesota, Oakland - and of course NY will all have new parks in the AL. Boston can suck it.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

WSPanic wrote: I think we have a better shot at 2012. By 2014, Minnesota, Oakland - and of course NY will all have new parks in the AL. Boston can suck it.
I thought the Oakland stadium deal had completely fallen apart.  Did they manage to get that back on the tracks? 
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I thought the Oakland stadium deal had completely fallen apart.  Did they manage to get that back on the tracks? 
You're right - that Fremont thing fell through.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

WSPanic wrote: You're right - that Fremont thing fell through.
But, now there is talk of building a new 430million dollar stadium for the A's next to the old coliseum. This is the last resort for Oakland.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

mykem wrote: But, now there is talk of building a new 430million dollar stadium for the A's next to the old coliseum. This is the last resort for Oakland.
Too bad they can't pull it off DT - DT oakland actually is pretty pleasant and could really support spin off development.  The coliseum complex site on the other hand really sucks and will go nowhere, new stadium or not (a la a certain other stadium complex).
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

So any city that approves a new stadium automatically gets an All-Star game?
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Alright, I'm on a few baseball sites, and their forums, and they are all pointing towards us getting the 2012 All Star Game. Looks like 2013 will indeed be Citi Field, and the popular thought is 2014 at Target Field. They are even talking about 2015 with Nationals Park if they can get their district built up.

However, the main reason we'll get the game instead of Boston is because Selig kinda promised it to us during the vote, regardless of the roof or not.

I know that I'll be there though, every minute of it as well.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dangerboy wrote: So any city that approves a new stadium automatically gets an All-Star game?
sounds like a scam, eh?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Any any city that builds a new football dome gets a superbowl :)
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

dangerboy wrote: So any city that approves a new stadium automatically gets an All-Star game?
By rule - no.  By conventional practice - yes. 
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

TheSmokinPun wrote: However, the main reason we'll get the game instead of Boston is because Selig kinda promised it to us during the vote, regardless of the roof or not.
++++++1

Has Everyone on this forum completely forgotten about Selig and his "If you build it, We will make it come in 2012" Deal???  Clearly everyone remembers the whole "If you will build it, we will give you a final four, and super bowl" deal..  :?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

People remember, just nobody trusts selig.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

im2kull wrote: ++++++1

Has Everyone on this forum completely forgotten about Selig and his "If you build it, We will make it come in 2012" Deal???  Clearly everyone remembers the whole "If you will build it, we will give you a final four, and super bowl" deal..  :?
That isn't quite what he offered.  It was more like "If you build it, we will try and make sure you get an AS game at some vague undefined point in the future, almost certainly before the next ice age - but maybe after". 
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

This is a boon to the gas station and Taco Bell, key stadium amenities.