MU in Big Twelve Title Game?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:both statements untrue.....

true not many showed up...being the worst football program in D1A football will tend to wear down your attendance especially in the middle of KS.

Chiefs did have down attendance years but so have every team in every sport in EVERY MISSOURI CITY....picking on the lean 80's is like me picking on STL losing a football team from bad attendance.

i don't think the "lean" years, which weren't many at MU, cannot be characterized in the same way as KSU's Chicago Cublike "lean years".

KSU's lean years goes back to the early 1900's.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

very true.....but to infer that only the Chiefs and KSU had fans fall off is wrong and crazy to sit here and argue.....every team has it. Pretty much I think all fans of all teams suck.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:very true.....but to infer that only the Chiefs and KSU had fans fall off is wrong and crazy to sit here and argue.....every team has it. Pretty much I think all fans of all teams suck.
OK....I agree to disagree if you agree to disagree. :D

It's fun butting heads on stupid stuff like this every now and then.
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

i'm talking about the 90% of BSU fans that aren't alumni and didn't give two rat's arses about the program before Snyder arrived.
What does Boise state have to do with any of this? :D
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Agreed it's fun to argue crazy stuff like this but to say only Chiefs and Wildcats have seen attendance numbers dip is not even a valid argument....care to look back at some Cardinal game attendances (football AND baseball)?

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:Agreed it's fun to argue crazy stuff like this but to say only Chiefs and Wildcats have seen attendance numbers dip is not even a valid argument....care to look back at some Cardinal game attendances (football AND basketball)?
you are definitely right about Cardinal game attendances drooping to some pretty low levels.

i guess, what i'm saying is this....i don't know that KSU EVER had decent attendance, whereas, the Chiefs and Cardinals have fluctuated between good and bad attendance over the course of time.

the Chiefs established themselves almost right out of the gate after they moved to KC in the mid 60's....sorta like the Rams did when they moved to STL in the mid 90's. it only took both teams a few short years to win it all.

correct me if i'm wrong, but KSU has always had avg to poor attendance.....ever since their program began.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

before Snyder KSU had 4 winning football seasons since joining the Big 6/7/8/12.....

yes they had bad attendance from everything I remember. Just like every team would...you will ALWAYS get more fans when you start winning...this isn't exclusive to any level/city/sport.

that's what I think this argument is silly....

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/KansasState.htm

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Boognish wrote:
i'm talking about the 90% of BSU fans that aren't alumni and didn't give two rat's arses about the program before Snyder arrived.
What does Boise state have to do with any of this? :D
Bandwagon State U. :wink:
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:before Snyder KSU had 4 winning football seasons since joining the Big 6/7/8/12.....

yes they had bad attendance from everything I remember. Just like every team would...you will ALWAYS get more fans when you start winning...this isn't exclusive to any level/city/sport.

that's what I think this argument is silly....

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/KansasState.htm
to a point, it is silly. but what i'm trying to drive home is, virtually NOONE paid any attention to KSU football until a decade ago....even alumni.

now i can't drive 1/8 mile down the street w/o seeing KSU this and KSU that adorning license plates, flag poles and clothing.

and i would be a monkey's uncle if they DIDN'T tell you "I am a lifelong, diehard KSU fan".

that's what is truly comical.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

that's incorrect because KSU basketball was a hot topic before football....so while they may have not paid attention to the gridiron people could have still been diehard KSU fans.

Maybe they didn't make it as public as they do now and with the new powercat logo the stuff is much more attractive than it was but to dismiss these people as not being fans is a bit arrogant.

Do I ever see ANY MU stuff out there even now and there bball team is good and fball is bowl eligible.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:that's incorrect because KSU basketball was a hot topic before football....so while they may have not paid attention to the gridiron people could have still been diehard KSU fans.

Maybe they didn't make it as public as they do now and with the new powercat logo the stuff is much more attractive than it was but to dismiss these people as not being fans is a bit arrogant.

Do I ever see ANY MU stuff out there even now and there bball team is good and fball is bowl eligible.
you prolly don't see as much MU stuff around KC as you would if you grew up in STL like I did. MU is THE college team of choice there. I never remember highlights of anything but MU and SLU stuff on the TV and print media while growing up there. Everyone had a Tiger hat or jacket or something that readily identified themselves as Tiger faithful.

Now, you can shop in Blue Springs MO and easily find KU stuff and have to dig for MU stuff. Pretty funny.

I came here for college in 88 and was very disappointed that the KU Star split time between KU KSU and MU. I always had the notion that KC was a big Tiger town.....I found out how wrong that was really quick.

Just picking up Tiger games on the radio was difficult at best. They were buried on 61 Country Hits while the big station in town back then sold out to KU and carried all their games on 50k watts.

Thank goodness for the internet now...or I'd be an unhappy camper.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Dan...you've never seen Fox Sports Net Midwest? That drivel is piped into all the TVs across the land showing us Tigger Sports...in fact their stupid exhibition game is on it tonight. Do you think I can watch KU exhibition games in Columbia or STL?
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

trailerkid wrote:Dan...you've never seen Fox Sports Net Midwest? That drivel is piped into all the TVs across the land showing us Tigger Sports...in fact their stupid exhibition game is on it tonight. Do you think I can watch KU exhibition games in Columbia or STL?
YES, I have! And I LOVE it! It used to cover MU, KU, STL and KC sports, but they must've not got the viewership they needed in KC to continue getting ad money from KC businesses, so they switched to an all STL/MU format. It's been really great ever since.

I'm pretty sure the emerging and now wildly popular KC MetroSports, an excellent KC Metro sports station, had a lot to do with the dwindling KC viewership of FSMW.

In fact, I think the MU exhibition is on MetroSports tonight...not FSMW.

MetroSports and the ESPN+ network will show you KU fans nearly all the KU games you can handle....don't worry your little feathery head. Keep those shoe buckles shining and wait your turn, bird turd. :wink:
Last edited by StL_Dan on Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

A Jayhawk fan complaining about too many MU exhibition games is like...well, I don't klnow what, but KU gets on TV whenever Michael Lee takes a piss.

I'm sorry I missed the fight, Dan and KC- Dan, you have to accept the fact that the lean years are what caused K-Statae football to have bad attendence- and it is not a fair comparison to anything. Who else has turned a program around from the worst in history (officially- we were the first to 500 losses, and are still maybe the fourth losingest program in D-IA) to a perennial contender? To not call Rams fand bandwagon fans is laughable. STL did not support the Cardinals, and they left. They did not support the Rams all out, the only reason they sold out early was because they were the new thing. Then, during that magical season STL became the football capital of the world? Even the baseball Cardinals will have bad attendence during lean years. K-State has been waiting to support a winner- but you can only take so much heartbreak. I remember several coaches lining up to take the job in the 80's, only to fall flat on their faces. The U of Iowa put a full page ad in the Collegian my freshman year wishing Snyder luck, and I remember thinking that that was wishful thinking. It worked, though, and the entire university ios reaping the benefit. Football money is going to the school- non-revenue sports are becoming some of the best in the nation- and are getting support. K-State still puts out some of the highest number of scholarship recipients of any school in the nation. Alumni giving is tops ion the Big 12. The powercat logo is a hot seller- I just put one up in my room, and the kids all want to buy it!

What you are seeing, Dan, is not a bandwagon- it is pride.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

phxcat wrote:Dan, you have to accept the fact that the lean years are what caused K-Statae football to have bad attendence- and it is not a fair comparison to anything.

phxcat, you must accept the fact that in KSU's football history of what, nearly 100 years, 90 of them were the "lean" years. Thus, until 1990 or so, NOONE gave a rat's arse about KSU football except a minute number of alumni fossils. That is my point. 99% of today's KSU "fans" didn't even acknowledge KSU football prior to the Snyder era....and that was a 90 year period of time.
phxcat wrote:STL did not support the Cardinals, and they left. They did not support the Rams all out, the only reason they sold out early was because they were the new thing. Then, during that magical season STL became the football capital of the world?
STL supported the Big Red as much, and probably MORE than KC supported the Chiefs. What STL did NOT support was an owner that had NO DESIRE to build a winner. Bidwill was only in it to make some money. To show you how smart STL was dumping his butt, just take a look at how he is screwing the fossils in Arizona. They were all excited about the Big Red coming to town, and guess what, they've been treated to the same sheite that STL had to endure.

STL did not support Bidwill cuz they are a smart sports crowd down there. Look what they have now...a nice team that strives to be the best and has become the best.

STL is not the football capital of the world by any means, BUT it is a solid football town and has supported the Rams from day one.....just like KC supported the Chiefs when they moved to KC from Dallas.

I sometimes wonder how much of a football town this place would be had the Chiefs not won a SB in it's first 5 years in town.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Mizzou? title game? Did somebody really post that?

Way to pee down your leg against the cats once again Brad Smith.

Hey, we only ran like 3 plays and only complete 7 passes, think you might want to stop the run up the middle once?

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Yet, KSU only had 24 pts to show for all of Sproles' efforts.

Whatta shame.....MU beats the spread again.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

beating spread = moral victory.

24 points is all we needed....be glad we took it easy on you and decided not to throw.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:beating spread = moral victory.

24 points is all we needed....be glad we took it easy on you and decided not to throw.
KSU decided not to throw cuz they quickly discovered that Ell is a terrible passer.

Being one dimensional worked on Saturday versus MU......it won't work a week from this Saturday against OU.

GO SOONERS
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Terrible passer??

Last week vs. NU

Ell Roberson 15 28 313 2TD (although 3 INT)

Season

Code: Select all

PASSING              GP   Effic Att-Cmp-Int   Pct  Yds  TD Lng Avg/G
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Roberson, Ell        11  148.68 226-122-11   54.0 2024  20  63 184.0
Compared to the "amazing" brad Smith

Code: Select all

PASSING         GP-GS   Effic Att-Cmp-Int   Pct  Yds  TD Lng Avg/G
------------------------------------------------------------------
Smith, Brad     11-11  117.32  296-179-6   60.5 1714  11  48 155.8

Yeah, Ell can't pass at all.