KC's premier university?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: KC's premier university?

Post by dangerboy »

The diploma is issued by "The Curators of the University of Missouri."  Technically everyone on every campus is a graduate of one university.

But on a resume it's normal put both the school and the city in which it is located, so there shouldn't be any fraud.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

dangerboy wrote: The diploma is issued by "The Curators of the University of Missouri."  Technically everyone on every campus is a graduate of one university.
the diploma also says at the bottom (reading from mine on the wall next to me):  "Done at the University in the City of Columbia, State of Missouri, this eighteenth day of May, yadda yadda." 

trying to position oneself under the halo cast by the more prestigious flagship university in your university system is the zenith of lame.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Debatable.  Outside of a  hundred mile square radius who knows anything about UMKC?  And with ignorance of both I have serious doubts that an out of town employer is going to put anymore stock in a degree from a regional state school with a long acronym than they do in a degree from an obscure private school. 
Well, St. Louis...its looked at just like UMSL...neither scorn nor anywhere approaching awe. Often people think I graduated from KU...UMKC and KU being off the radar in St. Louis except for the MU grads.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Debatable.  Outside of a  hundred mile square radius who knows anything about UMKC?  And with ignorance of both I have serious doubts that an out of town employer is going to put anymore stock in a degree from a regional state school with a long acronym than they do in a degree from an obscure private school. 
Although not necessarily large Rockhurst U does have a solid reputation and a network.  At the same time as a Jesuit University if the person on the other side of the desk is a graduate of a Jesuit School (and there are many) there is an instant connection.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Spartan65 wrote: Is Liberty even much of a "college town" environment,
I live there and the answer is a bold NO.  In fact, I often joke that if WJ were converted to a maximum security prison, we'd see more escapees in orange jumpsuits than we've ever seen WJ students.  It's a great liberal arts school, and somehow they come to love Liberty as students...some crazy stat exists that 40 or 50% of grads STAY IN LIBERTY after graduation.  It's a great place to live and raise a family, but I can't imagine the attraction for a 20 something post-grad.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Slappy the Wang wrote: It's a great place to live and raise a family, but I can't imagine the attraction for a 20 something post-grad.
Jewell has always been a very popular destination for those seeking their MRS degree.  I had to start going to weddings as soon as the summer after my freshman year. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Slappy the Wang wrote: I live there and the answer is a bold NO.  In fact, I often joke that if WJ were converted to a maximum security prison, we'd see more escapees in orange jumpsuits than we've ever seen WJ students.  It's a great liberal arts school, and somehow they come to love Liberty as students...some crazy stat exists that 40 or 50% of grads STAY IN LIBERTY after graduation.  It's a great place to live and raise a family, but I can't imagine the attraction for a 20 something post-grad.
To put it in perspective, the WJ enrollment is roughly the same proportion of the population of Liberty as UMKC's is of the population of KCMO.  1000/26000      15000/448000.  (3.8% to 3.3%).
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Highlander wrote: To put it in perspective, the WJ enrollment is roughly the same proportion of the population of Liberty as UMKC's is of the population of KCMO.  1000/26000      15000/448000.  (3.8% to 3.3%).
Yeah the College and Second Baptist Church used to be way bigger deals in town before the suburban development metastasized accross the area and the population spiked and kind of changed the complexion. 
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

while we're on the topic, can we please get UMKC to change it's name to reflect a little more autonomy from the MU system?  It suffers under the notion that it is a second rate commuter school while it offers a pioneering 6 yr med school program, good law school, world-class conservatory of music and dance/theater, the state's only dental school (I believe) and a high-quality urban planning and architecture department that is run in conjunction with KState's highly respected Arch. School.

Not to mention, the campus is surrounded by Stowers, MRI, Rockhurst, the Kauffman Foundation and the Nelson, and has the awesome Linda Hall Library on campus.  UMKC can and should be a leading light and a top priority for city leadership, and they're sloooowly moving in that direction.  But come on, you would think the opportunity to really build something there (beyond, say an UMSL) exists.  And while we're at it, invest some money into the horrible Div.1 bball program and give KC some local college hoops that the student fan base can get behind - I attend a number of games and would love to see the school and team become a much larger part of KC's community.
are we spinning free?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

rxlexi wrote:   while we're on the topic, can we please get UMKC to change it's name to reflect a little more autonomy from the MU system?  It suffers under the notion that it is a second rate commuter school while it offers a pioneering 6 yr med school program, good law school, world-class conservatory of music and dance/theater, the state's only dental school (I believe) and a high-quality urban planning and architecture department that is run in conjunction with KState's highly respected Arch. School.

Not to mention, the campus is surrounded by Stowers, MRI, Rockhurst, the Kauffman Foundation and the Nelson, and has the awesome Linda Hall Library on campus.  UMKC can and should be a leading light and a top priority for city leadership, and they're sloooowly moving in that direction.  But come on, you would think the opportunity to really build something there (beyond, say an UMSL) exists.  And while we're at it, invest some money into the horrible Div.1 bball program and give KC some local college hoops that the student fan base can get behind - I attend a number of games and would love to see the school and team become a much larger part of KC's community.
ditto.  While we want to dismiss UMKC, it actually has some very good programs.  I knew people from all over the country who went there for music and dentistry.  And I agree with you on B-ball, there is no reason UMKC cannot be a top urban university program like UAB has been in the last 20 years (or even better).   
Spartan65
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Spartan65 »

rxlexi wrote:   while we're on the topic, can we please get UMKC to change it's name to reflect a little more autonomy from the MU system?
Going off of this thread, how would UMKC grads get jobs then without being able to put UM on their resume?  :?

Sounds like Liberty is no Lawrence lol, or even one of the pretty cool small New England towns that have a liberal arts school.
I just love the smell of skyscrapers in the morning...
http://okmet.org / OkMet forums
Keep Tulsa Lame.
kcmokid
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcmokid »

rxlexi wrote:   while we're on the topic, can we please get UMKC to change it's name to reflect a little more autonomy from the MU system?
how about Kansas City University?  go KCU!

Build up the resident student numbers... develop some bars/food places/stores along Troost for the students (maybe a joint revitalization project with Rockhurst?)... continue improving all the life science connections... make the basketball team respectable... and the university could really start to become a point of pride for this city!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: the diploma also says at the bottom (reading from mine on the wall next to me):  "Done at the University in the City of Columbia, State of Missouri, this eighteenth day of May, yadda yadda." 

trying to position oneself under the halo cast by the more prestigious flagship university in your university system is the zenith of lame.
I'm pretty sure you just did it yourself in the first sentence.

:)
Spartan65 wrote: Going off of this thread, how would UMKC grads get jobs then without being able to put UM on their resume?  :?

Sounds like Liberty is no Lawrence lol, or even one of the pretty cool small New England towns that have a liberal arts school.
I don't really know of many nearby places where the small town takes the shape of the liberal arts college. Grinnell, Iowa is the only regional place I've heard is like that, but I can't say myself. Baldwin City, KS seems to have a lot of generally really weird people, but I don't know if that has anything to do with Baker.
kcmokid wrote: how about Kansas City University?  go KCU!

Build up the resident student numbers... develop some bars/food places/stores along Troost for the students (maybe a joint revitalization project with Rockhurst?)... continue improving all the life science connections... make the basketball team respectable... and the university could really start to become a point of pride for this city!
It would be HUGE for KC to have UMKC as a larger player in the culture of this city.
Last edited by trailerkid on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

kcmokid wrote: how about Kansas City University?  go KCU!

Rockhurst has already done much for Troost.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

I too would like to see UMKC change its name to University of Kansas City or Kansas City University.  That doesn't mean you still can't be part of the MU system.

UMKC sounds like a smallish satellite campus and that doesn't covey an accurate image for a university with close to 15,000 students -- medical, dental, pharmacy, nursing and law schools and good business and arts programs.

The state universities in Rolla, Springfield, Maryville and Warrensburg have all had name changes. It can't be that hard to do.
Last edited by knucklehead on Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

knucklehead wrote: I too would like to see UMKC change its name to University of Kansas City or Kansas City University.  That doesn't mean you still can't be part of the MU system.

UMKC sounds like a smallish satellite campus and that doesn't covey an accurate image for a university with close to 15,000 students -- medical, dental, pharmacy, nursing and law schools and good business and arts programs.
Like UCLA or USC.  What schools are they satellites of?
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Like UCLA or USC.  What schools are they satellites of?
UCLA is part of the University of California system while USC is a private institution.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

UMKC already was the University of Kansas City.  It was built back in the late 20s, early 30s as part of J.C. Nichols efforts to develop the Plaza, and it sucked up a lot of the local, existing pre-professional schools (med and law).  It merged with the University of Missouri system back in the 60s.  I assume they wanted the benefits of being part of a large system.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Like UCLA or USC.  What schools are they satellites of?
I think the point is UMKC has almost made a bad name for itself regionally as a commuter college and going back to its roots as U of KC or KCU might help shift perceptions. Changing the name of a well-known educational institution in the region is lame IMHO. Find ways to better market yourself, fundraise, and attract better students instead of just changing your name.  
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Rockhurst has already done much for Troost.
Not to discount their efforts, but a lot more needs to be done.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

heatherkay wrote: UMKC already was the University of Kansas City.  It was built back in the late 20s, early 30s as part of J.C. Nichols efforts to develop the Plaza, and it sucked up a lot of the local, existing pre-professional schools (med and law).  It merged with the University of Missouri system back in the 60s.  I assume they wanted the benefits of being part of a large system.
Yea, and there have been some recent efforts to possibly go back to University of KC.

They should.  It needs it's own identity and the great location deserves more than a suitcase mentality.