Seiden's Furs Appears to Be Closing

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Seiden's Furs Appears to Be Closing

Post by FangKC »

Yes, but it would be a greeting for visitors entering downtown--the heart of the city.
There is no fifth destination.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCPowercat wrote: I wouldn't worry about folgers....I'd get the suggestion to DST as I assume they own the building.
The building is owned by Folgers.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

loftguy wrote: The building is owned by Folgers.
Seiden's building is owned Folgers?  Really?   
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

loftguy wrote: Don't hold your breath with Folgers, but by all means TRY!

Several of us have tried for years (quit about 6 years ago) to convince their management to do something, and a coffee shop was our prime suggestion.

Along with that we suggested a really big steaming coffee cup, or coffee pot, with Folgers on the side, atop their plant as an iconic image of what they are about.  Can't you imagine seeing that as you come across the Broadway Bridge into the city?

I love the steaming cup of coffee idea! It's frustrating that the city doesn't (yet) see the advantage of doing things like that. There's this interesting and rich history downtown that gets buried somehow. And while the P & L District will invigorate downtown, it's too bad what makes KC unique couldn't have been included in the plan as much as it should have. (Off topic, sorry.)
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

barkerr wrote: I love the steaming cup of coffee idea! It's frustrating that the city doesn't (yet) see the advantage of doing things like that. There's this interesting and rich history downtown that gets buried somehow. And while the P & L District will invigorate downtown, it's too bad what makes KC unique couldn't have been included in the plan as much as it should have. (Off topic, sorry.)
Why is it the city's responsibility to do a sign for a private company? 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Seiden's building is owned Folgers?  Really?   
Somehow, confusion ensues.
I had understood that KCPowercat had thought that DST owned the Folgers Building

quote: CDM2p
Why is it the city's responsibility to do a sign for a private company?

I think that barkerr was using "city" in terms of all who can have an affect on our community, not specifically our government.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

loftguy wrote: Somehow, confusion ensues.
I had understood that KCPowercat had thought that DST owned the Folgers Building
Heh, I figured.  It does seem that DST owns most of downtown.  Real estate might be a tough business venture for Folgers  :lol:
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

FangKC wrote: That is an excellent idea.  I love roof signs--especially lighted ones. Kansas City used to have so many of them.

I wish there was an arch across Broadway and 5th, and I-670, that said "Welcome to Kansas City"  Sometime like the City Market sign.  Vintage, bulbs, and neon.

The coffee pot on the roof would be iconic like the rocket ship on the old TWA headquarters building.  It would be cool if it was a water storage tank or something.
Fang - do you have pictures showing pictures of old roof signs in KC?  I'm looking for pictures that might show the something like that.
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

cdm2p wrote: Why is it the city's responsibility to do a sign for a private company? 
I guess I meant to say it's a shame that a traditional business in the city like Folger's wouldn't be more creative in this way.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'll start looking.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Fang...this seems like a passion you should pursue.....start up Fang's Coffee and Pastries.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

What I've always wanted downtown is a lounge/salon of sorts that sells tea, coffee, beer, wine in a rathskellar-like setting with some new and used books, magazines,  and music CDs for sale, and a small stage for things like spoken word readings, light cabaret, alternative/folk singers, and comedians.  A place with lots of tables and chairs, banquettes, old mismatched couches and armchairs, and coffee tables; a long old wooden bar with rails, a jukebox, pool and ping-pong tables, darts, pinball, etc.  The walls would be bare brick with lots of big posters and antique signs.  It would be like a social gathering place/downtown living room.  A place downtown residents could hang out and meet each other.  It would also operate as an all-night diner.

The old Washington Street Station building would have been perfect, but it was torn down.

And I'd like someone else to operate it because I don't have the funds or energy to do it.  But, if I had a lot of money, this is what I would create.  Imagine a combination of Westport Flea Market, Chubby's, Balanca's, Bar Natasha, Tanner's, The Quaff, and the Peanut set in Spivey's Book Store.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Oh, come on! In addition to never having seen the place open in my four years living within blocks of it, I have never looked inside and seen:
  • customers
  • employees
  • clothes on the mannequins from any time after 1967
  • furs!!
Usually, when I've stuck my head against the dusty windows I've seen a mostly empty room, with piles of boxes and upturned furniture. From what I've seen, I can't fathom that there is any way that Seiden's is a legitimate business. They may as well put a sign out front that says, "LEGITIMATE BUSINESS," or "ORDINARY INCONSPICUOUS BUILDING."

With that in mind, I'm ecstatic that it's going away. I don't relish it at all as a neighborhood icon. It's a fishy, suspicious derelict building that contributes nothing to the most vital part of downtown. Knock it down!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

bahua wrote: Usually, when I've stuck my head against the dusty windows
Have you been shoping for a nice full length mink Bahua?  I don't know if I can picture you rocking that look.  I suppose cold weather is surely ahead.  :lol:
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Have you been shoping for a nice full length mink Bahua?
Just feeding my years-old curiosity about the alleged business.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

bahua wrote: Just feeding my years-old curiosity about the alleged business.
Sure.   :lol:  Now I fully anticipate seeing you around the loop this winter strolling down the boulevard with a full length fur, fedora, pimp cane, and giant pinky ring.   
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

bahua wrote: Just feeding my years-old curiosity about the alleged business.
The Seiden's, if they are still living, would be in their mid to late 90's.  That should explain a bit for you.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

bahua wrote: Oh, come on! In addition to never having seen the place open in my four years living within blocks of it, I have never looked inside and seen:
  • customers
  • employees
  • clothes on the mannequins from any time after 1967
  • furs!!
Usually, when I've stuck my head against the dusty windows I've seen a mostly empty room, with piles of boxes and upturned furniture. From what I've seen, I can't fathom that there is any way that Seiden's is a legitimate business. They may as well put a sign out front that says, "LEGITIMATE BUSINESS," or "ORDINARY INCONSPICUOUS BUILDING."

With that in mind, I'm ecstatic that it's going away. I don't relish it at all as a neighborhood icon. It's a fishy, suspicious derelict building that contributes nothing to the most vital part of downtown. Knock it down!
HA HA!!!!  With the exception of "Knock it down" I've ALWAYS thought it was fishy as well.  No furs?  Come on!  No customers!  You are absolutely correct, it is a front for something, I'm just not sure what.  The plants are always just barely clinging to life in the windows.  Suspicious place.  Save the sign, close the business.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The business is storing furs for customers in a climate-controlled environment.  No reason to be there except to receive the coat, and make it available when the customer wants it.  This can all be done by phone.  It's like ABC Storage for furs.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

FangKC wrote: No reason to be there except to receive the coat
How convenient!