Northland Dining...

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
ralfonso
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Northland Dining...

Post by ralfonso »

Iliki Cafe at I-29 and 64th.

Slightly upscale middle eastern.  It's in one of the most hideous strip malls I've ever seen, but the dining room is awesome.  They have a great wine and beer selection.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

ralfonso wrote: Iliki Cafe at I-29 and 64th.

Slightly upscale middle eastern.  It's in one of the most hideous strip malls I've ever seen, but the dining room is awesome.  They have a great wine and beer selection.

Illiki closed several months ago.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

chrizow wrote: remington's?  something like that?  terrible, and i think it's closed.
Rembrandts and it has been closed for several years.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

GRID wrote: Thanks everybody, especially Nota ;).

Is that place on Barry still there?  It's on the north side of Barry around Platte Purchase I think in a big estate looking home.  I forgot what it's called and I have never been there, but it seemed upscale.
No. I'm sure you are thinking of Rembrandt's.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

nota wrote: Rembrandts and it has been closed for several years.
yes, rembrandt's.  remington's was at the adam's mark.  i always get them confused.  they were both pretty bad!  the site for rembrandt's was quaint, though.
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

nota wrote: There is a Japanese knife throwing place in Parkville that has good food and service but I can't think of the name of it.
Yoshiko Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar

Very good food, but a little pricey. They cook the food on your table, so it's cool.  8)
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
catfish1812
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by catfish1812 »

Try Longboards on North Oak.  Great healthy wraps.

http://noodletown.blogspot.com/2007_05_ ... 9445367909
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Kelso's on Armour in NKC is some see-and-be-seen action.

Ixtapa on NW Barry Road across from Zona Rosa is awesome, and the same folks that have Guadalajara Cafe in Watts Mill.

I'm also fond of The Big Chill on North Oak at Hwy 152.  It's awesomely hideous.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

We ate at Vinh Hoa the other day, on Burlington (http://www.pitch.com/2007-03-22/dining/hoa-cookin).  Some excellent Vietnamese food.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

the northland needs more rural starlit out of control roadhouses...of course with light rail access...we dont need out of control motorists.

or if you do drive, the vehicle must be made of marshmallow and not exceed 10 mph.

or of course a perfect bike trail, and a *highly* sheepish admission of yes, i have cycled with a beer in the water holster.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

dangerboy wrote: I'm also fond of The Big Chill on North Oak at Hwy 152.  It's awesomely hideous.
And out of business since 2005.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Slappy the Wang wrote: And out of business since 2005.
Actually, there is a restaurant there. It has decent food, but pathetic bartenders. I can't think of the name of it though.
Belle the dog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Belle the dog »

I can't recall the name of it, either which says something about it right there.

Cafe Italia (North Oak just north of Barry Road) is usually good.  Their luncheon menu is quite reasonable for what you get.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

nota wrote: Actually, there is a restaurant there. It has decent food, but pathetic bartenders. I can't think of the name of it though.
Cool.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

heatherkay wrote: We ate at Vinh Hoa the other day, on Burlington (http://www.pitch.com/2007-03-22/dining/hoa-cookin).  Some excellent Vietnamese food.
Good to hear. I've been meaning to check em out. I love those Vietnamese sandwiches.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
rosedalian
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by rosedalian »

a new Thai restaurant opened at 64th and I-29, next to the IHOP, Thai Place maybe?  Same name as the one in Westport.

For Japanese, I like Kato at I-29 and Barry.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

Thai Place is in the old Paradise Grill location next to IHOP at 64th and i-29.  Malay Cafe on Barry across from the St. Lukes Northland Hospital.  Swagats in Zona Rosa for Indian food.  Kato's at boardwalk square on Barry.  Wasahi is good too (Japanese, teppenyaki and sushi) on North Oak.  You can't miss with Downtown Parkville.  Longboards on North Oak for wraps. You will never go back to Chipotle's, I guarantee it, or I'll buy you a wrap! hahahaha.  Best of all, these places are all locally owned.  So its good food and your supporting your local community at the same time.
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I finally got a chance to check out Vinh Hoa at 10th and Burlington, and it is pretty damn good Vietnamese food. My wife of Vietnamese descent called their Pho (beef noodle soup) the best she's had in a KC restaurant. I had one of their pork sandwiches - its a mixture of French and Vietnamese cuisine - Vietnamese pork in a French baguette. It was tasty and at $2.50 its a steal of a deal. The prices of everything on the menu seem absurdly low. The Pitch made it out to be a dump with tasty food, but its easily the cleanest, nicest Vietnamese restaurant I have ever been to. Its just minutes from downtown so do check it out.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

KCMax wrote: I finally got a chance to check out Vinh Hoa at 10th and Burlington, and it is pretty damn good Vietnamese food. My wife of Vietnamese descent called their Pho (beef noodle soup) the best she's had in a KC restaurant. I had one of their pork sandwiches - its a mixture of French and Vietnamese cuisine - Vietnamese pork in a French baguette. It was tasty and at $2.50 its a steal of a deal. The prices of everything on the menu seem absurdly low. The Pitch made it out to be a dump with tasty food, but its easily the cleanest, nicest Vietnamese restaurant I have ever been to. Its just minutes from downtown so do check it out.
I was wondering about that place.  Is that the place that has a sign about the sandwiches outside? If you and your wife said it was good, I might have to go and check out the place. I usually go to Columbus Park or the RiverMarket for Vietnamese food.
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Good to hear, KCMax, thanks.  How do you like Vietnam Restaurant on 39th by KU Med?  Any recommendations there?