Downtown Baseball stadium talk firing up

JBinKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JBinKC »

Pais, great first post. I agree with almost everything, except not wanting the stadium downtown. With 81 home games a year thats a lot of people you are throwing smack in the middle of KCMO, and if you make them walk to their cars, past restaurants and bars they'll stop in and spend a few bucks, especially if the sidewalks, roads, and store fronts are inviting. I do agree that old buildings should not be torn down for any reason...once they're gone, you'll never see anything like them again. Have you been following the Empire/President thread?? Maybe we can get a new ballpark over the train tracks by Union Station...then everyone is happy.
JBinKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JBinKC »

Pais, great first post. I agree with almost everything, except not wanting the stadium downtown. With 81 home games a year thats a lot of people you are throwing smack in the middle of KCMO, and if you make them walk to their cars, past restaurants and bars they'll stop in and spend a few bucks, especially if the sidewalks, roads, and store fronts are inviting. I do agree that old buildings should not be torn down for any reason...once they're gone, you'll never see anything like them again. Have you been following the Empire/President thread?? Maybe we can get a new ballpark over the train tracks by Union Station...then everyone is happy.
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Post by paisstat »

I agree, that there is potential to create business around a new ball-park, but studies point to the fact that sports teams do not help a community very much, financially speaking. Kaufman is a beautiful stadium and musn't be wasted. How bout bringing in a hockey or basketball team. I could agree with building a new arena or other large center for that. I think the area around Union Station is a great idea. With the new IRS regional HQ going in and the new development of small business that will be created from that development, I think the area will boom. There are many vacant lots and semi-industrial/light industrial areas there, which I wouldn't mind seeing gone.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Downtown Stadiums

Post by FangKC »

Paissat makes many good points about mega-structures and their affect on the surrounding neighborhood. I've never understood why entertainment venues can't be constructed under the raised seating at the base of the stadium. That would bring activity to the area when games were not being played, and provide after-game entertainment as well. Parking garages could be interspersed throughout the neighborhood and provide parking for other activities when the park was not being used. Office buildings could be placed on top the parking garages to give them a flexible purpose since few games are held during the workday.

Putting the baseball stadium near the 18th and Vine district is a good idea, since the Negro Baseball Hall of Fame is there. It would also help "jazz up" (pun intended) that district.
There is no fifth destination.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

On one hand, I think moving the stadium downtown is a bad idea. It would be prohibitively expensive, and it would be tough convincing suburban folks to leave their cars somewhere downtown, and walk around, there.

On the other hand, I think it would be invaluable in revitalizing the area, as many many businesses(bars, restaurants, theatres, galleries, offices, etc) would jockey for the chance to be located within easy walking distance, and a cool neighborhood would be fabricated in a matter of a year or two. This would of course generate salex tax, and whatever else tax, revenues, as well as encouraging people to ride the bus.

Unfortunately, I don't think the idea would fly, among the city fathers. They would want to build another K, with expansive concrete and chainlink abounding, catered to motorists. An island of suburbia in what could be another Wrigleyville or Fenway.

It's just a shame they didn't build the stadium downtown to begin with.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Baseball stadium FIRST......an arena for concerts, truck pulls, WWF and an imaginary NHL team after that.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I emphatically agree with that, but let's not turn this into a pro/anti arena flame war.

There are quite enough of those in other threads.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

bahua wrote:I emphatically agree with that, but let's not turn this into a pro/anti arena flame war.

There are quite enough of those in other threads.
Agreed.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
tw
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

stl dan..

Post by tw »

if stl. builds that stadium you have picture... that indeed might top the "k". it's Gorgeous!
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Any baseball stadium built in the last 10 years (excluding US Cellular) beats out Kauffman. I have recently visited Houstons new stadium and Coors Field in the past and both are AWESOME. Kauffman to me feels small and too symetrical. I also don't like the poured concrete look.... :puke:
It's time for KC to build a new stadium.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Saying that all new stadiums are better than Kauffman is a matter of taste and opinion. But overall, most people who follow the sport of baseball still consider Kauffman one of the best stadiums.

A downtown stadium certainly doesn't seem to be a priority for the city, so maybe we should get used to its current location and work on improving its surroundings. The ambitious plans sought for the Rangers stadium in Arlington should be KC's goal also, but unlike Arlington, we need to realize those goals.

Team owner Tom Hicks probably aimed too high, envisioning a massive project with unique retail and entertainment venues, townhomes and high-rise living, and a few corporate headquarters.

It was to be so overpowering that a company would have paid a small ransom to put its name not only on The Ballpark but on the entire development.
A dilemma lies in trying to integrate new development into an area holding two existing stadiums. Something must be done. I believe that the Sports Complex can have a great surrounding area, but it will take a ton of money. If we decide to build new downtown it will cost a ton of money and leave a hole next to Arrowhead.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I don't see the rationale of pumping alot of money into an area that has not seen any development in 30 years when that money can be infused into a downtown project and help revitalize a downtown that's lacking entertainment. Rip out the seats of Kauffman, plus the Scoreboard and fountains and all you are left with is a big piece of poured concrete. Now take those seats, scoreboard, jumbotron and fountains and incorporate them into a new stadium downtown with the vision of developing the surrounding area with restaurants, bars, lofts and retail and you've got an exciting, vibrant downtown. Nothing in my mind will come from pumping money into the surrounding area of the Truman Sports complex except a bunch of people scratching their heads in wonderment. :?

BTW in place of Kauffman we could build a Wizards only complex or put a Bass Pro there next to a Kansas City Sports Museum.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:I don't see the rationale of pumping alot of money into an area that has not seen any development in 30 years when that money can be infused into a downtown project and help revitalize a downtown that's lacking entertainment. Rip out the seats of Kauffman, plus the Scoreboard and fountains and all you are left with is a big piece of poured concrete. Now take those seats, scoreboard, jumbotron and fountains and incorporate them into a new stadium downtown with the vision of developing the surrounding area with restaurants, bars, lofts and retail and you've got an exciting, vibrant downtown. Nothing in my mind will come from pumping money into the surrounding area of the Truman Sports complex except a bunch of people scratching their heads in wonderment. :?

BTW in place of Kauffman we could build a Wizards only complex or put a Bass Pro there next to a Kansas City Sports Museum.
Exactly, concentrate on one area for once KC, we can not build yet another regional entertainment destination that would only compete with the urban core, KC is two small for that. KC has the best stadium architects in the world so why couldn’t a new downtown ballpark have a much charm and character as Kauffman with fountains etc only with the Downtown skyline in the backdrop instead of a big box and a freeway.

This goes for the river front too, put an office campus down there, it’s too physically removed from Downtown to put a stadium.

We need a new ballpark somewhere between Downtown and Crown Center between Troost and Broadway period. This would create the critical mass of attractions and entertainment that the core needs so bad. A stadium and an arena would push the core to the next level and KC would finally have a central location for many types of entertainment and other facilities that would feed off each other rather than compete with each other.

And convert the Sports Complex into a world class football and soccer complex.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I agree, and I will further say that if any development took place hear the Truman Complex, it wouldn't really make sense, anyway. On foot, a person would have to walk a mile or more to simply leave the stadium grounds, and the area isn't very walkable anyway. They could make it walkable(spend money), but then there's still that mile or more.

If you ignore that, then you've got the problem that pre and post-game gathering places generally serve alcohol, and lots of it, often times. The current location of the Sports Complex is not within walking distance of anything except perhaps the Adam's Mark, a gas station or two, and a few hundred houses. It is not only built for driving in and driving out, it's located that way too.

With that in mind, it would be silly to create an entertainment district(spend money) that people have to drive to/from. The possibility of drunk driving is far too great. A stadium downtown would basically eliminate this obvious problem. Not to say that people wouldn't still drive drunk after a tough Royals loss- they just wouldn't have any excuse to do so.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

plus who wants to see a hotel a couple towers and a highway anyhow? Downtowns are in! Maybe we could rebuild Kauffman downtown, like an exact duplicate with a little more art to it :) Fit it in with downtown and crown center (i prefer it be beside the arena)
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I don't see the rationale of pumping alot of money into an area that has not seen any development in 30 years
I don't see a better rationale. Do you propose we abandon all areas that haven't seen recent development because downtown needs it more? Abandon Bannister because downtown needs it more. Abandon the East Side because downtown needs it more. It is not an issue of city-wide competition. It is an issue of using what we have and making the entire city better. Believe it or not, but outstanding development can happen in every part of the metro at the same time--that's good not bad.

Umm...the drunk driving example doesn't make sense because people drink at the games...uhhh yeah.....they're probably driving home after they get smashed.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KCgridlock wrote:
KC_JAYHAWK wrote:This goes for the river front too, put an office campus down there, it’s too physically removed from Downtown to put a stadium.
I'm anti-office campus on the riverfront. We ned to embrace the riverfront with living space, shopping and attractions.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

QueSi2Opie wrote: I'm anti-office campus on the riverfront.
That would make a great bumper sticker!

Really, I was just making a point, the stadium should be somewhere where it will spur additional development and ancor Downtown entertainment options along with an arena, bartle hall and the PAC. There is no way the riverfront could handle baseball crowds anyway.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

trailerkid wrote:
I don't see the rationale of pumping alot of money into an area that has not seen any development in 30 years
I don't see a better rationale. Do you propose we abandon all areas that haven't seen recent development because downtown needs it more? Abandon Bannister because downtown needs it more. Abandon the East Side because downtown needs it more. It is not an issue of city-wide competition. It is an issue of using what we have and making the entire city better. Believe it or not, but outstanding development can happen in every part of the metro at the same time--that's good not bad.

Umm...the drunk driving example doesn't make sense because people drink at the games...uhhh yeah.....they're probably driving home after they get smashed.
Nobody said abandon the Truman Sports Comlex. Keeping arrowhead out there and building a soccer stadium is what should be done. The area is way to spread out for anything worthwhile to work. I hope the Blue Ridge Mall redevelopment starts soon, because that thing is now an eyesore and it's the first thing many visitors see and remember in our city.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

trailerkid wrote:I don't see a better rationale. Do you propose we abandon all areas that haven't seen recent development because downtown needs it more? Abandon Bannister because downtown needs it more. Abandon the East Side because downtown needs it more. It is not an issue of city-wide competition. It is an issue of using what we have and making the entire city better. Believe it or not, but outstanding development can happen in every part of the metro at the same time--that's good not bad.
Absolutely, but development is, and always has been an action of the private sector. The city's responsibility is not to spend money on redevelopment, but to make it easy for agents of the private sector to develop. That might be what you're talking about, but I sense that you were referring to directly financing development with the city's coffers. If you were not, I apologize for my presumption.
trailerkid wrote:Umm...the drunk driving example doesn't make sense because people drink at the games...uhhh yeah.....they're probably driving home after they get smashed.
All the more reason for the stadium to be within reasonable walking distance of viable transit options.