Biking in this city full of nasty and rude drivers

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Biking in this city full of nasty and rude drivers

Post by tat2kc »

I had the lovely experience in college of being run down by a fool on a bike who was riding on the sidewalk.  I was walking near the building side, and moved out to the street side of the sidewalk when some goober slammed into me from  behind.  Of course, he blamed me for not looking  behind me before I moved. Despite the fact he was not supposed to be on the sidewalk.

Why is it that cyclists bitch about cars not looking out for them, when they turn around and violate the law by riding on a sidewalk designed for pedestrians?  Cyclists riding on the sidewalk are no different than drivers who hog the road and make it unsafe for cyclists.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

tat2kc wrote: Why is it that [some] cyclists bitch about cars not looking out for them, when they turn around and violate the law by riding on a sidewalk designed for pedestrians?  Cyclists riding on the sidewalk are no different than drivers who hog the road and make it unsafe for cyclists.
Please use the word "some" before "cyclists."  Thank you, and have a nice day.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

as opposed to "a city full of nasty and rude drivers".  I see. Whats the difference in a driver not sharing the road with cyclists, and cyclists riding their bikes on sidewalks, in clear violation of the law?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

tat2kc wrote: as opposed to "a city full of nasty and rude drivers".  I see. Whats the difference in a driver not sharing the road with cyclists, and cyclists riding their bikes on sidewalks, in clear violation of the law?
I didn't write the subject and I didn't say there was a difference--they're both breaking the law (the obvious difference is who would win in an altercation).  Only a small percentage of drivers are pricks and I've yet to have a serious issue with one while riding here.  My point was that not all cyclists ride on sidewalks--in fact very few do and it's usually the less-experienced who do it.

I'm asking Toss to ride in a way that betters himself and all those who ride.  That's all I can do.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

MidWestSider wrote: This would be nuts!! NYC!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR2ygFn-yR8
Broken Social Scene are good peoples.

Also, I don't think those were messengers. I think they were just people that ride their bikes like maniacs.
ralfonso
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ralfonso »

bahua wrote: Also, I don't think those were messengers. I think they were just people that ride their bikes like maniacs.
Most of them are messengers, but not the guy with the camera on his head.

See Lucas Brunelle's other videos at http://digave.com/videos/
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

tat2kc wrote: I had the lovely experience in college of being run down by a fool on a bike who was riding on the sidewalk.  I was walking near the building side, and moved out to the street side of the sidewalk when some goober slammed into me from  behind.  Of course, he blamed me for not looking  behind me before I moved. Despite the fact he was not supposed to be on the sidewalk.

Why is it that cyclists bitch about cars not looking out for them, when they turn around and violate the law by riding on a sidewalk designed for pedestrians?  Cyclists riding on the sidewalk are no different than drivers who hog the road and make it unsafe for cyclists.
Do contain yourself. Whenever I ride on the sidewalk, most of the time I am the only living thing on the sidewalk, due to the autocentric nature of the roads in the Westport area where everyone drives and no one walks. And when I get to a place with more densely populated sidewalks, and still deem it safer to bike on the sidewalk than the street (47th street on  the plaza for example) then I often come to a complete stop to wait for the pedestrians to get by.

Stop lumping everyone together in one huge category. I managed to get a horn blasted in my ear for following the rules, but I don't blast a horn at people on the sidewalk who slow me down when I'm on the bike, so your argument is not analogous.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i get honked at all the time when i am driving my vehicle.  i've been honked at whilst walking as well.

lesson: people are assholes. get over it, stay as safe as you can, and don't break the law. 
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Tosspot wrote:
Stop lumping everyone together in one huge category.
Yeah, that could be said for you as well. Not every driver is at fault you know. Nor are they always an SUV driver, etc.

That said, I've had several near misses with cyclists who were breaking the law just because they were on a bike. Running red lights, riding between cars in the lanes, etc. But for sure it would be we vehicle drivers who were at fault if they caused an accident.

I imagine that there are just as many "nasty and rude" cyclists as there are "nasty and rude drivers."

Two year olds ride bikes on the sidewalk. They graduate to two wheelers and ride on the streets as soon as their competency allows.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I don't have a problem with motorists honking at a cyclist who is breaking the law, as long as that motorist has accurate knowledge of what is legal and illegal.  Too many think that simply being on the street is illegal.

Other motorists treat the speed limit as a minimum instead of maximum, and harass anyone going under the limit.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

nota wrote: Yeah, that could be said for you as well. Not every driver is at fault you know. Nor are they always an SUV driver, etc.

That said, I've had several near misses with cyclists who were breaking the law just because they were on a bike. Running red lights, riding between cars in the lanes, etc. But for sure it would be we vehicle drivers who were at fault if they caused an accident.

I imagine that there are just as many "nasty and rude" cyclists as there are "nasty and rude drivers."

Two year olds ride bikes on the sidewalk. They graduate to two wheelers and ride on the streets as soon as their competency allows.

hey nota, go buy a bike, put it in your suv and drive down here to the city, then try riding the bike around traffic sewers like Southwest Tfwy & Westport Road, or the Belleview/Roanoke/47th traffic sewer and then try to repeat what you just said. Then you'd see the absurdity of it.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Tosspot wrote: hey nota, go buy a bike, put it in your suv and drive down here to the city, then try riding the bike around traffic sewers like Southwest Tfwy & Westport Road, or the Belleview/Roanoke/47th traffic sewer and then try to repeat what you just said. Then you'd see the absurdity of it.
Read this again.

Then, read it a third time.

Thanks.

[edit] toss, that wasn't directed at you.  i was telling others to read it again. and again.
Last edited by kard on Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

tat2kc wrote: I had the lovely experience in college of being run down by a fool on a bike who was riding on the sidewalk.  I was walking near the building side, and moved out to the street side of the sidewalk when some goober slammed into me from  behind.  Of course, he blamed me for not looking  behind me before I moved. Despite the fact he was not supposed to be on the sidewalk.

i'm sorry you had this experience.  asshole cyclists are indeed a hazard, just like asshole drivers are a hazard.

the point is the CONDITIONS which lead cyclists to break the law and ride on the sidewalk.  it is FAR more hazardous to ride a bike on SW Trfcwy than the sidewalk - and why is that?  b/c our roads are designed to accomodate cars only, not bikes.  thus, cyclists are taking a huge risk by riding on the street next to 3,000-lb cars. 
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Tosspot wrote: hey nota, go buy a bike, put it in your suv and drive down here to the city, then try riding the bike around traffic sewers like Southwest Tfwy & Westport Road, or the Belleview/Roanoke/47th traffic sewer and then try to repeat what you just said. Then you'd see the absurdity of it.
??????

I wouldn't ride a bike in the city for all the tea in China-nor would I EVER ride a bike on the sidewalk anywhere. However you missed the point. When you lump drivers together, you need to lump the cyclists together too. There are bad apples in every barrel.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Riding on sidewalks is for pu$$ie$ and small children.

Ride on the street following all posted signs while using appropriate hand signals to communicate your intentions when changing lanes and directions.

If people want to yell, give the finger and act like morAns...so be it.  How does that change the fact you are right and they are wrong?

Plus, riding on the street is not nearly as dangerous as sidewalks and much more fun than riding on sidewalks.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

chrizow wrote: and why is that?  b/c our roads are designed to accomodate cars only, not bikes. 
And that is as it has always been but is slowly changing. The vehicles pay the lions share of the road taxes to build the roads. And that is the way they have been built.

Up here in the Northland, bike lanes are popping up all over. It will happen everywhere.

But if anyone on a bike runs over my grandma who is walking on the sidewalk, they had better have deep pockets because I'll hire you to sue them.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

nota wrote: Up here in the Northland, bike lanes are popping up all over. It will happen everywhere.
wow, wish they were popping up all over the place in the urban core...babies like me like the comfort of seeing 'bike lanes.' it feels 'progressive.'
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

nota wrote: And that is as it has always been but is slowly changing. The vehicles pay the lions share of the road taxes to build the roads. And that is the way they have been built.
That's how it is today, but it's not how it all started.  Roads here were first built for bikes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_ ... Bicyclists

And yes, it's getting better, but it's agonizingly slow.  Keep it coming.  But cyclists have to deal with what is here today...and it's hard, because it's not accommodating.

But anyway, it's great to see how pissed off we all are at each other.  Do this, everyone:
-Don't ride your bike on the sidewalk.
-Don't drive your car on the sidewalk.
-Do follow all traffic rules when riding your bike.  Because if you don't then all cyclists are evil.
-Do follow all traffic rules when driving your car.  Because if you don't then all drivers are evil.

Got it?  Good.  Peace.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

All the bike lanes in the world wouldnt' help me ride a bike in the city. I have the absolute utmost respect for those like staubio, etc who make it their way of life.

I'm a weenie through and through. I almost hit a cyclist DT by the construction last spring. I was turning right on the green with my signal and he shot through from behind me between the parked cars and the driving lane trying to pass me on the right. It wouldn't have been my fault had there been a witness - I clearly had the light and had my signal on, and he was riding very fast where he shouldnt' have been riding. However, what does fault really matter when the guy is laying bleeding under your tires?

Waaaay too scary for me.
VELO DOOM
Pad site
Pad site

Post by VELO DOOM »

nota wrote: All the bike lanes in the world wouldnt' help me ride a bike in the city. I have the absolute utmost respect for those like staubio, etc who make it their way of life.

I'm a weenie through and through. I almost hit a cyclist DT by the construction last spring. I was turning right on the green with my signal and he shot through from behind me between the parked cars and the driving lane trying to pass me on the right. It wouldn't have been my fault had there been a witness - I clearly had the light and had my signal on, and he was riding very fast where he shouldnt' have been riding. However, what does fault really matter when the guy is laying bleeding under your tires?

Waaaay too scary for me.
What'd the cyclist look like that you almost hit? 

(directed to entire forum)
My two cents on bike lanes...whats the point?  Its not gonna save you from getting doored, or from somebody jaywalking in front of you, or someone trying to snake that diagonal/ or parallel parking spot.  Maybe in midtown or something it'd be cool.  Just take the lane, or give the car room to pass.  Make sure you're wearing a reflective vest, helmet with police beacon light thingy, multiple blinky lights on your back and front, and don't forget your training wheels.  In fact scratch that and someone build a gigantic hampster ball to ride through traffic with. 
great men live dangerously, small men don't take chances.