OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by GRID »

The airport seemed fine other than that. It's mostly Southwest obviously, so no point in it being a fancy airport. Maybe yesterday was just a very bad day for them. I have flown out there several times with no issues.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

GRID wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:57 am The airport seemed fine other than that. It's mostly Southwest obviously, so no point in it being a fancy airport. Maybe yesterday was just a very bad day for them. I have flown out there several times with no issues.
Southwest has basically been the shot caller for new KCI if I am correct, and they all but built the new love field themselves, so the similarities likely exists from that relationship. I imagine having lower volume while also being the only airport for our city will allow a better amount of resource focus for the terminal, which love field lacks a little more.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCI Commercial Plan Update

revenue sources
57% from aviation non aero (hotel, cars, parking)
31% from aero (landing fee, fuel, etc)
12% non aviation, non aero (ground lease for logistics or farming,etc)

Long-term airfield map. 4th Runway is 15+ years away

UPS sort and apron expansion is under construction. Signature Air is planning to be expand their apron. An un-named group is pursuing a hangar development. MRO briefly mentioned? Amazon Air appears on the slide so might see them expand their apron.

A second air-cargo center is proposed (C). 480+ Acres to the west of the current west runway. F & G are logistics or mixed-use development. F is the next phase of industrial. E is a new economy parking lot with a potential people mover. H is to start construction in the near future.

APM to new econo lot and CONRAC could utilize federal funds. Something to work on after the new terminal opens

Last edited by normalthings on Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:49 pm KCI Commercial Plan Update

Presentation to City Council Last Week.

revenue sources
57% from aviation non aero (hotel, cars, parking)
31% from aero
12% non aviation, non aero

Long-term airfield map. 4th Runway is 15+ years away

UPS and Amazon Air driving apron expansions and a new hanger at cargo row.
Should we start to attract either more air cargo, or gain a hub status, I can see the 3rd parallel runway become much more of a priority.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

^nice thing about cargo is a lot of their flights are when passengers planes aren’t flying. So even with a bigger cargo operation it shouldn’t be clogging up the runway. I would think things need to get much much busier for another runway to be needed. Like double the flights from the 2019 peak.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Per the Dec. 2021 Traffic and Operations Report, KCI had 87,843 aircraft operations for the year, with three runways (although I'm not sure if one was out of service for repaving at any point). In comparison, RSW, which only has one runway, handled 101,408 aircraft ops in 2021. A second parallel runway is in the planning stages, but is likely not needed until 2040, based on current projections. I wouldn't expect KCI's fourth runway to break ground anytime soon.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

My understanding is our third runway is way overkill. I was surprised there is even a plan for a fourth. Ill bet it is not so much a real plan for a fourth as much as it is prioritizing other land for development first and leaving that vacant for future decisions. I doubt there is ever a reason to build another runway at MCI
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Do these plans conflict with the proposed solar panel array?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:43 am Do these plans conflict with the proposed solar panel array?
(B) is the initial solar phase. Lucas wasn’t exactly supportive of the solar idea at council last week.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:43 am Do these plans conflict with the proposed solar panel array?
Segment B is the solar panel array.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Oh, I did overlooked that description and didn't remember hearing anything about it occurring in phases. I was under the impression that the solar array area was bascially taking up all remaining free space but it looks like there is still room for a potential fourth runway and surrounding development:

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:49 pm
APM to new econo lot and CONRAC could utilize federal funds. Something to work on after the new terminal opens

It seems like they want to make sure they don't close off their options around NW 120th St/I-435 (area A on the map) because MoDot has already built an interchange there. So they don't want to install something that doesn't take advantage of that infrastructure. They have soooo much to build out though elsewhere that Area A is long term (med term plans) and so will likely be vacant for a long time. Someone still needs to come in and do prep on the land before anything can be developed and there is no power/utilities over there.

And if you look at the previous post, you can see the initial solar array proposal highlighted all this area as potential solar development and I think they are just trying to get a long range use plan in place.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Area B in the map of potential development areas makes a lot more sense than the solar concept rendering. I can't imagine the FAA letting them install panels anywhere near that close to taxiways and runways.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Seams narrow.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:48 pmSeams narrow.
haha
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:48 pmSeams narrow.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

And what's up with that glass?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

daGOAT