beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: beer.

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raytown Phoenix
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Raytown Phoenix »

Anyone else tried the 2013 batch of Bob's 47? It's typically my favorite local brew of the year, but the sixer I picked up this week seems a tad on the bitter side and frankly, not up to par with years past. Perhaps my local booze shop mishandled it. Anyone else have a 2013 experience?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Raytown Phoenix wrote:Anyone else tried the 2013 batch of Bob's 47? It's typically my favorite local brew of the year, but the sixer I picked up this week seems a tad on the bitter side and frankly, not up to par with years past. Perhaps my local booze shop mishandled it. Anyone else have a 2013 experience?
Probably because you're drinking it at the wrong time of the year. It goes bitter when the air temp is over 90.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I came across a USA Today "Top 15 Craft Breweries in America" article which ranked Boulevard 3rd, for what it's worth.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/de ... a/2637493/

I've been making frequent weekend trips into StL lately and came back with a 12er of Kraftig Light, Billy Busch's attempt at making a better Bud Light, and a 6er of amazing Pumpkin Stout from Crown Valley Brewing in Saint Genevieve. Both worth bringing home to try if you find yourself across the state (haven't seen them available here, but they may be). The pumpkin in particular is just wonderful; rich, smooth, and a little smoky with a pumpkin spice finish.

The Kraftig is sort of interesting in that it's a small scale "craft" beer that just attempts to make straight American lagers, and does a reasonable job of it. Not a lot of flavor, super clean, crisp aftertaste. Good yard beer. Would be curious what others think of this strange Busch endeavor...
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

rxlexi wrote:I came across a USA Today "Top 15 Craft Breweries in America" article which ranked Boulevard 3rd, for what it's worth.

I've been making frequent weekend trips into StL lately and came back with a 12er of Kraftig Light, Billy Busch's attempt at making a better Bud Light, and a 6er of amazing Pumpkin Stout from Crown Valley Brewing in Saint Genevieve. Both worth bringing home to try if you find yourself across the state (haven't seen them available here, but they may be). The pumpkin in particular is just wonderful; rich, smooth, and a little smoky with a pumpkin spice finish.

The Kraftig is sort of interesting in that it's a small scale "craft" beer that just attempts to make straight American lagers, and does a reasonable job of it. Not a lot of flavor, super clean, crisp aftertaste. Good yard beer. Would be curious what others think of this strange Busch endeavor...

I think you'd be better of drinking KC Pils. The only American Style Pils I've come across that doesn't taste like crap when it's warm. As for drinking it cold, it's good.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Raytown Phoenix wrote:Anyone else tried the 2013 batch of Bob's 47? It's typically my favorite local brew of the year, but the sixer I picked up this week seems a tad on the bitter side and frankly, not up to par with years past. Perhaps my local booze shop mishandled it. Anyone else have a 2013 experience?
I've had two bottles out of sixer so far and I haven't noticed any issues.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

Joe Smith wrote:
rxlexi wrote:I came across a USA Today "Top 15 Craft Breweries in America" article which ranked Boulevard 3rd, for what it's worth.

I think you'd be better of drinking KC Pils. The only American Style Pils I've come across that doesn't taste like crap when it's warm. As for drinking it cold, it's good.
I doubt if you can find it in Kansas City any longer I bought the last case about 7 months ago from major brands and they stopped carrying it. It blows the KC pils out of the water. It's the pils from Crown Valley from Ste. Genevieve Missouri. It's the closest true Plzen I've ran across in America. I Use to live 20 kilometers out side the Czech Republic before the boarder came down.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

pash wrote:An American-style pils is not supposed to taste like a true pilsner. Pretty much any actual pilsner blows every American-style pils out of the water. :P
What's an American style pilsner - coors? bud?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

pash wrote:Yes, the style of lager typical of all American macrobrews.
But not so much the microbreweries? Although I much prefer something like the pilsner I had in the Czech republic to Boulevard's Pilsner - which is infinitely better than coors or bud.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

I guess i'm wrong if I want a Pils I want a pils not a lager. It's like vegan chicken nuggets, why bother to sell them under that name or fake cheese with no dairy it's not cheese its a nut puree. If you can't produce a pils or you are afraid the general public won't accept it them move on and make shoes.You're not being true to your band just to pump out mislabeled garbage.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Repete wrote:I guess i'm wrong if I want a Pils I want a pils not a lager. It's like vegan chicken nuggets, why bother to sell them under that name or fake cheese with no dairy it's not cheese its a nut puree. If you can't produce a pils or you are afraid the general public won't accept it them move on and make shoes.You're not being true to your band just to pump out mislabeled garbage.
Point of clarification: all pilsners are lagers. If you make a pils with bottom-fermenting yeast but ferment at warmer ale temps, you're making a California common with saaz hops. If you make a pils but use top-fermenting yeast, I guess you'd be making a blonde ale with saaz hops.

</beer nerd>
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

mean wrote:
Repete wrote:I guess i'm wrong if I want a Pils I want a pils not a lager. It's like vegan chicken nuggets, why bother to sell them under that name or fake cheese with no dairy it's not cheese its a nut puree. If you can't produce a pils or you are afraid the general public won't accept it them move on and make shoes.You're not being true to your band just to pump out mislabeled garbage.
Point of clarification: all pilsners are lagers. If you make a pils with bottom-fermenting yeast but ferment at warmer ale temps, you're making a California common with saaz hops. If you make a pils but use top-fermenting yeast, I guess you'd be making a blonde ale with saaz hops.

</beer nerd>
Yes all pils are lagers, but not all lagers are pils
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Very true.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Our proud local beer is local no more. John McDonald has sold his majority stake to Duvel Moortgat, a Belgian beer brewer.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ke-in.html
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.brewbound.com/news/2013/a-bu ... aft-brewer

On the bright side, much better suitor for Boulevard than someone like Miller-Coors etc.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

agreed, they seem like the perfect buyer.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

KCMax wrote:Our proud local beer is local no more. John McDonald has sold his majority stake to Duvel Moortgat, a Belgian beer brewer.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ke-in.html

what??!! :(

always thought of boulevard as schlafly's big bro, since they helped each other out in the beginning. it's not like blvd is dead, but damn. and yeah, they could have gone the goose island route, much worse...