What restaurants do you want in the P&L District?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: What restaurants do you want in the P&L District?

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote: dude is recommending Montana Mike's and then stated better that than empty space?  Like those are the only 2 options.
Would you rather have an empty space or Montana Mike's?

By the way, have you eaten there?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

never eaten at a montana mikes. heard it is similar to ryans or ponderosa. and if it is.......................fne.

my vote.....full space versus empty space. period.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

I would not compare my experience at Montana Mikes to Ryans or Ponderosa.  No buffet, prices were definitely way higher, and steaks and chicken eaten by the party were way better than what would be found at these places, or similiar places. In fact my 12 oz sirloin was one of the tastiest and tenderest steaks I have had.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Would you rather have an empty space or Montana Mike's?

By the way, have you eaten there?
Those aren't the only 2 options.  I'll take empty space because something would fill it in quickly.

No, never even seen one outside of Topeka, KS.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

^^^
Guess it remains to be seen whether the place is full, and if not, it will fill in quickly.

Basically, what I think should be at KC Live are restaurants that are unique to the KC area.  Why go to a DT Gates when I have one a few blocks away.  Same for an Applebee's, Friday's, Lonestar, etc.  I know you will reply that the restaurant stop at KC Live would be one of many for a DT experience  but going to a restaurant that is at no other location in KC would be a greater draw and just might make people eat there instead of eating close to home and then going DT.  And not all of the restaurants need to have a minimum $25 entre, I do not think the area will support that many.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I think the resturants that will do good in the P&L District will be the ones who have a specific theme such as the Rainforest Cafe and Buba Gumps.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

i think we should let the power and light district sit empty and useless like we did westport, the riverquay, and 18th and vine, all after major taxpayer financed redo's

no, the best thing we can do is to spend billions on redoing the power and light district, and all all the buildings to be empty, and unused, that way, people like cordish and other developers cannot put terrible things, like hooters, fridays, red lobster, things like that. that way, we can just sit back, and be like those bank commercials where they interview perpective banks..................and we can just sit here and patiently wait for espnzone, the disney cafe, bubba gumps shrimp co, hard rock, stuff like that, we can wait for them to come to us, and also, wait patiently for strouds, jazz, westport flea, and all the other local concepts to come there also.

this is a much better plan then cordish has, his idea of getting tenants signed on, and getting EVERY storefront full, with run of the mill type places that tourists and conventioneers would use, is a dumb idea. he should listen to the board, hell, have this website formally vote on every tenant, and get him the hell out of the project. because this half baked dumbass idea he has of putting places like outback, ruby tuesdays, and bowling alleys, where there are perfectly good, revenue producing parking lots now, is dumb. imagine that dumbass, wanting to put functional businesses in EVERY SINGLE STOREFRONT ON ALL THE BLOCKS IN THE DISTRICT, versus just waiting to get the best places, what a dumbass.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Well that's kind of a strawman, isn't it chef? No one is suggesting they put nothing in. I think we should be able to voice our concern that they put in restaurants that work. We all want this thing to succeed.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: Well that's kind of a strawman, isn't it chef? No one is suggesting they put nothing in. I think we should be able to voice our concern that they put in restaurants that work. We all want this thing to succeed.
we all do, as do i. but do read some of these p&l threads, and every single concept that gets mentioned someone pisses on it. what do you think cordish is going to do here? look at the inner harbour, and louisville, look at them. cordish redo's. there will be a ton of everyday shit there. and why not? there should be, tourists, and conventioneers, are all types, that like all kinds of places.

we can voice our concerns all day long, but this man has been hired to work his magic there, not us. and thank god, let him do it. i mean, go to michigan ave in chicago, times square in new york, dupont circle in dc, downtown dc, all these big cities, and go to their most happening areas. times square in ny? there is an olive garden, ruby tuesdays, dennys, and red lobster. so, we are more upscale then new york city now? c''mon, we need all types of places, not just things we want. the place will get powered by out of towners, tourists, and conventioneers. not us.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: we all do, as do i. but do read some of these p&l threads, and every single concept that gets mentioned someone pisses on it. what do you think cordish is going to do here? look at the inner harbour, and louisville, look at them. cordish redo's. there will be a ton of everyday shit there. and why not? there should be, tourists, and conventioneers, are all types, that like all kinds of places.

we can voice our concerns all day long, but this man has been hired to work his magic there, not us. and thank god, let him do it. i mean, go to michigan ave in chicago, times square in new york, dupont circle in dc, downtown dc, all these big cities, and go to their most happening areas. times square in ny? there is an olive garden, ruby tuesdays, dennys, and red lobster. so, we are more upscale then new york city now? c''mon, we need all types of places, not just things we want. the place will get powered by out of towners, tourists, and conventioneers. not us.
I agree that some of the criticisim of the potential tenants is rediculous.  I am inclined to think that a hooters is a grand slam idea for downtown (convention goers, after work happy hour, tourists, perfect).  I think the Bristol is a great fit.  And I think the criticisim leveled at the chain noodle shop is rediculous, especially since it is probably going in the H&R food court.  That said, I do want to see Cordish show a little bit of discretion.  We don't want this place to be filled out with nothing but tourist junk shops, t-shirt shops, and nothing but tourist trap restaurants like Saint Louis' Union Station.  That place has nothing to offer naitive saint louisians and has become increasingly irrelevant for tourists. 

I think it is all moot; I am sure that Cordish hasn't had any problem lining up upscale tenants, even if a handful of them may be more for the out of towners.  I don't think we will ever be anywhere near the dire situation that AKP is lusting after where P&L bombs, the arena runs out of money halfway throughconstruction and Cordish is sitting on tons of square feet of empty space and begging Ponderosa to sign on. 
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

I think on a hot summer evening a Sheridan's Custard would do good. I know it has done very well on Barry Road.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

LenexatoKCMO wrote: 

I think it is all moot; I am sure that Cordish hasn't had any problem lining up upscale tenants, even if a handful of them may be more for the out of towners.  I don't think we will ever be anywhere near the dire situation that AKP is lusting after where P&L bombs, the arena runs out of money halfway throughconstruction and Cordish is sitting on tons of square feet of empty space and begging Ponderosa to sign on. 
Where have I said I hope that P&L bombs?  Or that I am lusting that the arena runs out of money?  And it is a stretch to say to Cordish will sit on tons of square feet of empty space?  And where did I say that I wanted Ponderosa? 
Predicting something to happen and wanting something to happen are two different things.  Or do you fail to see that?
Will KC Live be a big success?  Will the Sprint Center be a big success?  Will they be the greatest thing since slice bread?  I don't think so.  I sure do not want them boarded up.  Will KC hit that big grand slam homerun with two outs in the bottom of the ninth to win the game with these developments?  No.
KC Live will be a second banana to the Plaza and very likely will be less successful than other areas currently in existance or planned in the KC area.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I agree that some of the criticisim of the potential tenants is rediculous.  I am inclined to think that a hooters is a grand slam idea for downtown (convention goers, after work happy hour, tourists, perfect).  I think the Bristol is a great fit.  And I think the criticisim leveled at the chain noodle shop is rediculous, especially since it is probably going in the H&R food court.  That said, I do want to see Cordish show a little bit of discretion.  We don't want this place to be filled out with nothing but tourist junk shops, t-shirt shops, and nothing but tourist trap restaurants like Saint Louis' Union Station.  That place has nothing to offer naitive saint louisians and has become increasingly irrelevant for tourists. 

so, ponderosa..........................................................

you know, when in new orleans recently, all i could think of is how great the french quarter is, and, might i add, coming back together real nicely too, and from one end to the other, it is junk stores selling crap, men dressing in drag at cabaret shows, bars, some of which are the size of a closet.....so small they make kelly's look like an airplane hanger, good and great restaurants, and that is it.

and you guys all know my experience with times square, and how i say constantly, they have red lobster, dennys, and hooters, why not the p&l district? i mean, why not??

so, i guess my question here is, what exactly is our fear about all these run of the mill places opening up in our beloved power and light district? the 2nd place on this poll is espn zone, where, you can go in what, 6 other cities now?

as much as i would like to see bryants, i am doubting that will happen
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

kcdcchef wrote: never eaten at a montana mikes. heard it is similar to ryans or ponderosa. and if it is.......................fne.

my vote.....full space versus empty space. period.
kcdcchef wrote: oh no, fuck that. i hate the irs development, am not crazy about the fed reserve project, and detest certain components of the p&l district ( ie, putting in some dumbass expiremental theater in the empire versus a real cinaplex )

we fundamentally disagree on this and tsc. but supporting anything versus something..................no.
:D
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

49r wrote: :D
49r

supporting getting every lot in the p&l full versus 12 blocks along the 12th street corridor are two different things. i have been to touristy districts in new orleans, new york, and las vegas, and they allow EVERYTHING in, so, i say, the p&l, why not.

other areas, no, i do not support that.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Hard rock anyone...

I remember mailing them back and forth last year, and indeed they said they were very interested in KC and had already been flying out to check out the p&l district....hmmm...interesting stuff I have been keeping secret...
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
FreeNachos
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by FreeNachos »

Forgive me for digging up an old thread.  I promise to add something new (grocery store idea in last paragraph).

I moved from Kansas City years ago and just heard about this Famos Dave's thing.  Needless to say, I'm writing my letter and sending out several.  I don't need to explain the irony any further.  This is the kind of thing that doesn't just ask to be scoffed at but should be vocally opposed.  This is near picketing status.  Talk about undermining the "Barbecue Capital of the World".  Embarrassing.

If you enjoy individuality, local culture or just food, then you need to write a letter.  The mayor, the paper, Cordish, everyone.

At the same time, we shouldn't worry too much.  New York's Times Square was renovated by Disney years ago.  A lot of people bitch that it's boring homogonized kid-friendly New York.  But it's still got the Broadway plays and a lot of local flavor.  Look at Hollywood and Highland in...duh, Hollywood.  It's got a Virgin Megastore, Hooters, Build a Bear Workshop and even McDonalds but it's still got the Chinese Theatre, world-class hotels and Scientologists.  It's still Hollywood.  Regardless, of the Cordish company boring and unoriginal vision (The Power Plant in Baltimore is Independence Center with more brick), it will bring attention to a downtown that's much more than JUST the Power and Light District.

Something new... I see they want a "Whole Foods" downtown.  It's nice but why not a Trader Joe's?  I had to leave town to find one but it's a great grocery store especially for urbanites.  It's like Whole Foods but cheaper.  http://www.traderjoes.com.  There, something new.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

FreeNachos wrote:   Regardless, of the Cordish company boring and unoriginal vision (The Power Plant in Baltimore is Independence Center with more brick),
exactly.  this is why i am ho-hum about the district.  i am grateful for the bricks and mortar they are putting in, but the tenant mix will likely make me cringe.  that's fine - i doubt i am the demo Cordish is shooting for...but still. 
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I hadn't heard about Famous Daves. In any case downtown can harly afford to turn away any business wiling to locate there. So what if there is a Famous Daves? Don't eat there. Too many hyper-sensitive people who relish in theatrics.
I'm getting the impression that people don't want The Power and Light District.
They complain that AMC isn't putting a "real theater" downtown.
Complaining that the Bristol Bar and Grill is going to be a "second location."
Complaining about any business, IE Gimme Sum, just because they are also going to be at the Legends.
What exactly do you expect them to put down there if everthing is immediately complained about?
You got to start with little things at first like Famous Dave's to build off of. If the only people eating at Famous Dave's are a bunch of tourists, so be it. The point is to have enough tourists downtown to go around. Why not let out-of-town people spend there money there if they want, all the better for downtown.

Now I read that people are writing letters and are proposing boycotting. How embarrassing. Keep up garbage like that and maybe Cordish will pack their bags and go home. Then downtown will have blown it's one chance to be anything like Downtown Denver. Vibrant.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yes Cordish is making business decisions based on a few letters from an internet message board.  Lord I hope not or they aren't very smart business people.

I think the point of Famous Dave's is legit....we are the "BBQ capital of the world" and the only BBQ joint we've heard going in the district is from Minnesota?  I think everybody has the right to look at the tenant mix with a critical eye.....doesn't mean we don't appreciate what Cordish is doing but nothing wrong with asking questions.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc