OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut construction

Post by WSPanic »

I had a chance to go check this place out - a friend of mine at work lives there. The apartment itself was very nice. I thought they did a nice job. The floors looked kind of like a fake maple or something - cabinetry, fixtures and appliances were all very nice.

Unfortunately, the rooftop deck on 6 was closed. However, we did get a chance to go up to the penthouse. This place will be impressive. I'm sure you're not supposed to, but you can get up there on the 31st floor and go out onto the terrace that runs along the west side of the bottom part of  the penthouse. It's a phenomenal view.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
madwoodman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by madwoodman »

The floors are real maple and can be refinished three times.  THe building is already 40 % leased after being open one month.  The rooftop garden is open, as is the fitness center.  The rents are from $850 to $2700 and all size units are listing.  Several corporate renters, too.  Perfect Commerce has taken the whole second and third floors.  Scooters, a coffee and sandwich chain out of Omaha is leaing the first floor of 929 Walnut and they have really cool office suites on 4 and 5 in that building.  I know one of the leasing people.
Things are looking UP!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

You know this thing is going condo shortly after it fills up.  You have to wonder if that is some sort of way to sell the building and its lifestyle vs trying to sell condos to people off the street.

I think once people live in this tower for a while, they will not want to leave and it will be relatively easy to turnover a good percentage of the apartments to condos.

Of course I'm sure many of the renters are also renting to get first dabs on the condo conversion too.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i really hope there are units available when i get out of law school....and i hope i can afford them.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

chrizow wrote: i really hope there are units available when i get out of law school....and i hope i can afford them.
I hope there are still some of the 1 bedroom 1 bath options in 2 years or maybe 1 is already for sale by then so I can live there and go to UMKC.

***Holy Crap, Once I posted this I realized this was my 909th post lol***
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

GRID wrote: You know this thing is going condo shortly after it fills up.
I believe they have to wait the standard 5 years before going condo in order to retain their tax credits.
Rusty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty »

KCLofts wrote: I believe they have to wait the standard 5 years before going condo in order to retain their tax credits.
Yeah - it's five years.  I was told a portion (10%) of rent could be applied to purchasing the condo if desired.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

WSPanic wrote: ...Unfortunately, the rooftop deck on 6 was closed...
Apparently it's open now, as a meeting I was in yesterday was temporarily interrupted by the distraction of us noticing a couple on a blanket in the grass making out.

If you like I can start a photo thread.  ;)
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

scooterj wrote: Apparently it's open now, as a meeting I was in yesterday was temporarily interrupted by the distraction of us noticing a couple on a blanket in the grass making out.

If you like I can start a photo thread.  ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

=D>  =D>  =D>  =D>
jj116533
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jj116533 »

there are doormen at the entrance of the building aren't there
Student at NYU studying Metropolitan Studies and Economic Theory.  Real Estate connoisseur.
http://twitter.com/#!/grecobs
f4hondaphile
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by f4hondaphile »

Yes, 24/7. 
jj116533
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jj116533 »

that is good
Student at NYU studying Metropolitan Studies and Economic Theory.  Real Estate connoisseur.
http://twitter.com/#!/grecobs
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

This may have been posted already, but i'm too lazy to read all the posts on this thread. What are the average prices of a 1 bedroom 1 bath? Do they rent or sell? Thanks.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Rentals for 5 years.  Rents run around $1.25 per square foot.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
f4hondaphile
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by f4hondaphile »

The website, 909walnut.com has pretty good info on prices, floorplans and actual photos of almost every floorplan.

The one bedrooms that are smallest, but use space pretty wisely, at 700 square feet start at $750 and go up to 950 for one on twenty-something floor or one with a balcony on the 6th floor.  They go up ten bucks a floor and the west side are ten more than east b/c of a better view. 

There is a slighty larger one bedroom that in my opinion feels larger but has a little bit of an awkward kitchen, starts at like 850.  Then there is a high dollar one bedroom that is pretty big and only available on upper floors that costs somewhere north of $1,000. Best of all is a REALLY big and REALLY nice one bedroom with a patio that is very pricey but awesome (its not quite done yet so I've gone down there and walked around in it -- it has a huge patio). 

But anyway the website gives all the info for each unit but doesn't break down the wherein and why of the price differential between units that are otherwise identical,as I said its based on the floor level and whether its a balcony unit.  IMO, you can save a lot of money if willing to live on a lower floor and if you're in one of the common floorplans the people ten floors above you live in the identical unit but pay 100 bucks more a month.  I chose to live on a lowly floor and don't regret it, the view is still pretty cool to the west.   
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i really hope one of these under-$800 units is available when i graduate from law school.  that is great rent for an amazing building and is only about 4 blocks from my presumptive job.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Scooter's coffeeshop (chain based out of Omaha I believe) will be opening inside 929 Walnut in June as reported in today's Star.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Excellent.  I hope they're open until at least 5... the coffee guy in my building usually closes up early afternoon and late afternoon is when I need him the most!  :)