OFFICIAL: Zona Rosa (tenants & phase II)

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Zona Rosa II....

Post by trailerkid »

From http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/sct0505/dev_leasing_5.php

In the fall Steiner + Associates plans to start the 550,000-square-foot second phase of Zona Rosa, in the northwest part of town on the Missouri side. The first phase, which contained 600,000 square feet of retail, restaurants, homes and offices, opened last May. This second phase will consist of 100,000 square feet each of office and residential, seated above 150,000 square feet of specialty retail. A 200,000-square-foot department store is in the plans too, though none had been named at press time. The opening is set for the spring of 2007.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Why isn't there a clear connection between that subdividion and the retail? I don't mean a street, I mean a walking route so that the residents who live there can walk into ZR.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KCK wrote: Why isn't there a clear connection between that subdividion and the retail? I don't mean a street, I mean a walking route so that the residents who live there can walk into ZR.
There is a paved walkway from the northeast corner of that subdivision to the parking lot on the south side of Zona Rosa.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

dangerboy wrote:There is a paved walkway from the northeast corner of that subdivision to the parking lot on the south side of Zona Rosa.
So the paved walkway follows this path that I highlighted in blue? Or am I incorrect?

Sorry, but I would have personally liked to have seen the housing better integrated with Zona Rosa. I have seen such projects in other cities with very well integrated single family housing.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

your blue line is the northwest corner.  The walkway is on the northeast corner near the cul-de-sac.

I agree there could be better integration, but this was an existing subdivision that Steiner had no control over.  The residents there appareantly didn't want to be part of Zona Rosa.  The bigger problem is that the site is cuttoff by highways on two sides and thus no other options for blending in with neighborhoods.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

I do have to admit that a development like this probably never would have happened in Johnson county if those houses did exist before ZR was built.

Is this right?

KCK IS BACK!!!!
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

KCK wrote: Why isn't there a clear connection between that subdividion and the retail? I don't mean a street, I mean a walking route so that the residents who live there can walk into ZR.
I think there is a walkway. A couple of Sundays ago there was a big article in the Star about ZR and the Thistle Hill neighbors and that they were getting along well. I believe it mentioned a walkway into the shopping center.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Man those people are in for a treat if ZR gets any kind of grocery.  Urban or suburban, being able to walk to buy milk or beer is AWESOME, and one of the things that kept me in a ghettofied College Station apartment for 3 years.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

KCK wrote: I do have to admit that a development like this probably never would have happened in Johnson county if those houses did exist before ZR was built.

Is this right?

Yes, those houses have been there for quite awhile.  Long before ZR was there.  In fact, there are 2 subdivisions there.  The smaller one at the top has probably been there since the 60's or 70's.  The one next to the parking lot I have no idea as far as the age of it.  I know I've lived here in this neighborhood since 2000 and it was already here when I got here. 

There are also a bunch of houses right across the street that borders ZR on the west side.  No walkway for those houses though but there's really nothing to it anyhow.  Just walk across the street and there it is.
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

Post by TheNorthlander »

Zona Rosa has had an impact in its first year
by Kim Fickett, Platte County Landmark

One year after its opening, Zona Rosa has become a popular destination spot in Platte County.
Still in phase one of its development, the new urban town center of the Northland continues to provide a unique atmosphere to its daily visitors.

Nearly one year to the date of its official opening, Zona Rosa currently has 60 businesses ranging from clothing stores to a mix of restaurants to a book store and a photography studio.

“The exciting thing for us is that we’re not done yet,â€
"Keep the Status-Quo! Yes on 1, No on 2!" - Jackson County Voters
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

I saw guys on top of O'Dowds working on something today.  Maybe some sort of ventilation for the grills or something.  They have pushed the opening date back for that from spring to fall but it appears they are already starting on prepping it.  Ted's Montana Grill is open now I think.  The comedy club is still behind schedule. They also broke ground for that Granite City Brewery or whatever it's called.  Men's Wearhouse looks like it's  close to opening also.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

I found this article on the Majestic.  The theater sounds like it should be an interesting experience.  The first of its kind in the metro according to the article. 

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 5076&rfi=6
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The theatre complex is now open in Zona Rosa. They are definitely not gearing towards the suburban Bobo crowd a la Fine Arts as they are showing a Brad Pitt movie, War of the Worlds, and Wedding Crashers.

I'm thinking about going to visit Zona Rosa for the first time with my mom to see War of the Worlds. I think it'd be neat, but is the theatre anything special? Worth going? If it's a small AMC with a cafe, I'm not interested.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

I've heard radio ads running for the Majestic. I will listen a little more closely next time to try to report on what they say exactly.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

trailerkid wrote: The theatre complex is now open in Zona Rosa. They are definitely not gearing towards the suburban Bobo crowd a la Fine Arts as they are showing a Brad Pitt movie, War of the Worlds, and Wedding Crashers.

I'm thinking about going to visit Zona Rosa for the first time with my mom to see War of the Worlds. I think it'd be neat, but is the theatre anything special? Worth going? If it's a small AMC with a cafe, I'm not interested.
You've never been to Zona and you snarl at me for criticizing it???
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

Because the people that live in that subdivision would probably drive to visit their neighbors across the street.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

nota wrote: You've never been to Zona and you snarl at me for criticizing it???
Ouch, TK.  Let's reserve judgement until we've actually experienced something, OK? 

I'm a diehard Midtowner and confessed urban snob, but I like Zona Rosa.  It's a step in right direction for suburban development.  The majority of Americans now live in suburbs.  They aren't going away.  Besides, yesterday's suburb could be tomorrow's snobby urban neighborhood (e.g. Brookside, Hyde Park, even the Plaza were all suburbs back when they were built).
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

nota wrote: You've never been to Zona and you snarl at me for criticizing it???
I'm snarling about criticisms like taxes, shopping selection that doesn't fit your lifestyle, and low traffic. I've been following Zona Rosa very closely for years now and I don't see the problem with me calling you out for complaining about tax at a fast food mexican place that is selling you some rice and beans wrapped in a tortilla for $6. I'm snarling about continually visiting a shopping destination that you criticize. We could replace every mention of Zona Rosa with Plaza for all I care. If it rubs you the wrong way, stop going. Have a day at BarryTown or Metro North. I don't know you personality, but I'm just commenting on your scathing reviews based on stuff that seems pretty minor to me.

With that said, here are my impressions of Zona Rosa with a few from my mom who had never been to anything like it before.

We drove in through Barry Road on Praire View and that intersection looked like a nightmare waiting to happen. We came at about 3:30 on Tuesday and it was very busy getting in. I was impressed with the design of how they integrated things along Prairie View except for Mimi's. Even the new Ethan Allen store was ped-friendly although it mainly faced the parking lot. You definitely got that feeling that Zona Rosa was the suburban hot spot in the Northland. I liked the signs BTW.

As we approached, we drove through the entire village area and my mom talked about how much she liked it and how neat she thought it was. I was impressed with how everything was to scale. I agree that Zona is a complete abberation from everything around it, but that's a good thing. It is an oasis in the middle of mundane.

My mom wanted to look at Marshall's and it was packed. The actual outdoor part of the shopping center wasn't busy, but it was raining and miserable. They still have quite a few big holes to fill with some big prominent blank walls. Sharper Image was a good one and I'm sure they're probably waiting to get just the right tenants in the right spots. They need some stuff like Banana Republic, J. Crew, Benatton, and some unique gift shops to create a better overall tenant mix.

The storefronts looked like a mall and I wish they would've made the buildings more architecturally significant, but I believe it was a KC firm that did the design work. Regardless, there was still a sense of "cuteness" and functionality around in the design work.  If I lived out there, I'd definitely frequent it more than something like Independence Center or Oak Park. The actual center design is probably the best suburban shopping center design I've ever encountered. The center just worked.

I wanted to throw up going through the Food Garden portion, but to each his/her own. It would've been better off just putting a World Market or something like that in that space, but maybe they'll get some more vendors.

The exterior of the theatres is very ugly. It is some cement block tile painted white and blue. It doesn't appear very upscale at all. The marque didn't look done, but it looked cheap. The interior is off the chains. Nice generic martini bar, with rich decor in the lobby. Nothing over the top, but still a step up from AMC or whatever. They greet you when you come in and the whole thing is really treated kind of like a dinner theatre or restaurant. Drinks are moderately expensive, but the actual food isn't high priced. They have service to the theatres via an electronic device on the armrests. Seats were also off the chains. I never once even felt the need to squirm around in my seat as I do at every movie house I've ever been to. I was hesitant about the price, but it is definitely worth an $8.50 matinee price to go to this place. You don't feel like you're going to just see a movie, but you're havingi a night out or an afternoon out. When you leave you feel like you should stay and hang out for a while. Good place to take a date or for people who don't want the whole romper room scene. I don't know if KCMO, North is ready for it, but we'll see. The theatre was dead as wood, but that's to be expected as I don't know if people know it's open.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

trailerkid wrote: I'm snarling about criticisms like taxes, shopping selection that doesn't fit your lifestyle, and low traffic. I've been following Zona Rosa very closely for years now and I don't see the problem with me calling you out for complaining about tax at a fast food mexican place that is selling you some rice and beans wrapped in a tortilla for $6. I'm snarling about continually visiting a shopping destination that you criticize. We could replace every mention of Zona Rosa with Plaza for all I care. If it rubs you the wrong way, stop going. Have a day at BarryTown or Metro North. I don't know you personality, but I'm just commenting on your scathing reviews based on stuff that seems pretty minor to me.
At least I visited the place before I dissed it.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

nota wrote: At least I visited the place before I dissed it.
And visited it and dissed it. And visited it and dissed it. And visited it and dissed it.