T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Post by anniewarbucks »

I noticed that Sunday.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

i tivo'd the WWE smackdown last night and the sprint center looked really good, i'm pissed i didn't get to go because i was looking forward to seeing the place packed. ah well, maybe next time.. hopfully some of you  got to see that last night.
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

Just got back from the CBE. The arena was great, ALOT louder than I expected it would be. The bowl/interior is really bright, much better than the dreariness inside Kemper. The Big XII tournament is going to be great here. 
A few minor design complaints though...
Concessions - Why is not every single concession point open?  Also, they need to utilize the space on the outside of the concourses, closest to the exterior glass for MANY, MANY more beer stands. 
Concourses - Several bottlenecks in the spaces between the big, wide areas, around where the staircases are.  It's not good that there's concession points in these areas with long lines that block the concourse circulation. This could probably be helped though if more concession points were open in the wider areas.
Escalators - There desperately needs to be another set of escalators in there, maybe on the opposite end?

Overall though, I had a great time and was really impressed.  It was really nice to see the streets downtown alive and active with so many people.  Kudos to the places like Willies, Mango Room, Cupini's, etc... that had the balls to open down here before the rush, and shame on Cordish for dilly dallying around with the P&L District.  They're losing an absolute ton of money right now.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Yea I would like to see more hair heads in the P&L district than Hard Hats. With Mcfaddens, and Vino now open. It is nice to see that portion of the district alive.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

There is a spirited discussion going on right now in the Star's forum regarding how good Spring Arena was on opening night (as a sport's venue).  Most had a favorable view with some being incredibly impressed by the arena. A few had to interject that the AA Arena in Dallas was better.  One idiot went as far as saying the Ford Center was much better because of Bricktown's proximity.  Don't people realize that the P&L District is opening in a few months?  Biggest legitimate complaint was the concession stands.  Position of the cupholders was a big compaint since they seemed to have tripped several people.  Only one person complained about parking.  Some complained about the existing nearby restaurant/bars being overwhelmed.

I haven't been there yet myself but I cannot believe they don't serve Boulevard Beer!!  It's the home town brew...they need to get with the program.  One concern:  With all the hiccups getting things started up, is it really wise to make the P&L districts opening coincident with the Big XII tourney?  Seems like they would like to open a few weeks in advance and get the kinks out before the big crowds hit. 
Last edited by Highlander on Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Sprint Center opening day pictures

Post by Burton »

Highlander wrote: I haven't been there yet myself but I cannot believe they don't serve boulevard.  One concern:  With all the hiccups getting things started up, is it really wise to make the P&L districts opening coincident with the Big XII tourney?  Seems like they would like to open a few weeks in advance and get the kinks out before the big crowds hit. 
YES. They all should be opening RIGHT NOW!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Highlander wrote: There is a spirited discussion going on right now in the Star's forum regarding how good Spring Arena was on opening night (as a sport's venue).  Most had a favorable view with some being incredibly impressed by the arena. A few had to interject that the AA Arena in Dallas was better.  One idiot went as far as saying the Ford Center was much better because of Bricktown's proximity.  Don't people realize that the P&L District is opening in a few months?  Biggest legitimate complaint was the concession stands.  Position of the cupholders was a big compaint since they seemed to have tripped several people.  Only one person complained about parking.  Some complained about the existing nearby restaurant/bars being overwhelmed.

I haven't been there yet myself but I cannot believe they don't serve Boulevard Beer!!  It's the home town brew...they need to get with the program.  One concern:  With all the hiccups getting things started up, is it really wise to make the P&L districts opening coincident with the Big XII tourney?  Seems like they would like to open a few weeks in advance and get the kinks out before the big crowds hit. 
I just read through those comments...very good feedback for Sprint Center management...almost every person loved the arena, bitched about the concessions (for good reason)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I was reading the Star's review of the Dane Cook show - sounds like security is still a big hassle delaying entrance into the arena. Will this be a problem going forward? Any ways they can speed it up a bit?

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

quit making people walk through metal detectors would be the only way...it's really not that bad..I stood in a long line and it took 10 minutes to get through at one event....people that want to see the beginning of an event shouldn't be trying to shove into the arena 5 minutes before that time.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I had no problem at the Van Halen concert. Zipped through in 2 minutes. There were longer lines for T-shirts.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

KCPowercat wrote: quit making people walk through metal detectors would be the only way...it's really not that bad..I stood in a long line and it took 10 minutes to get through at one event....people that want to see the beginning of an event shouldn't be trying to shove into the arena 5 minutes before that time.
I arrived at 6:25 for Dane Cook, made it through the doors at almost 7:00.  Show time was scheduled for 7, didn't start until 7:45, probably because not everyone had made it inside yet - I would guess no more than 50% of the seats were occupied at 7:00.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

This isn't a sprint center only problem.  If you have been to a sporting event much of anywhere the last couple of years you will probably have noticed that increased security, coupled with the new ticket scanning machines make it very inefficient to get people in and out.  It seems like there would surely be something that could be done to improve the ticket scanners so that they read faster.  In the meantime, we probably all need to get used to the idea that we can't just walk up to a sports/concert venue ten minutes before the start and expect to be through the turnstyle in under thirty seconds.  The incentive to improve the technology is surely there for the promoters since they have to be loosing concession revenue while everyone waits. 
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

KCPowercat wrote: quit making people walk through metal detectors would be the only way..
Has anyone ever seen these metal detectors go off?

I forgot to take my keys out of my pocket..  and not a single beep?!?
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Highlander wrote: There is a spirited discussion going on right now in the Star's forum regarding how good Spring Arena was on opening night (as a sport's venue).  Most had a favorable view with some being incredibly impressed by the arena. A few had to interject that the AA Arena in Dallas was better.  One idiot went as far as saying the Ford Center was much better because of Bricktown's proximity.  Don't people realize that the P&L District is opening in a few months?  Biggest legitimate complaint was the concession stands.  Position of the cupholders was a big compaint since they seemed to have tripped several people.  Only one person complained about parking.  Some complained about the existing nearby restaurant/bars being overwhelmed.

I for one was able to drink Boulevard the entire night. They have Boulevard at several different concession stands.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCMax wrote: I was reading the Star's review of the Dane Cook show - sounds like security is still a big hassle delaying entrance into the arena. Will this be a problem going forward? Any ways they can speed it up a bit?
Yea, go in the damn back door.  That front door line wrapped clear around to where you can see the east entrance.  You could walk right in that entrance.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

MidWestSider wrote: Has anyone ever seen these metal detectors go off?

I forgot to take my keys out of my pocket..  and not a single beep?!?
That is the stupidest thing. I had my car keys in my pocket when I went to the college basketball experience and there was no sound until I went out of the same door then the stupid thing went off.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I was in the Sprint Center for the first time tonight. This building is even more impressive on the inside than the outside. Pictures do not give this building justice as it is a lot bigger than any picture can show. The must have done something with the sound system as the sound was great. I met mykem and we talked for a little bit. all in all I thought that Mortensen did a great job in the construction of this arena.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I thought that this would be neat to share. I was thinking back to the rendering of an area of the Sprint Center.
I captured this same area last night live. This bar was over the spot that I was seated
It is amazing that the renderings are so close to the final product.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Except for the lack of people! What was the event last night?