OFFICIAL: Law Building

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Law Building

Post by Long »

Nice.

So, Super Frank says he will only buy the building if Abbott tears it down, Abbott goes to the expense of tearing the building down apparently before the deal is done, then Super Frank backs out leaving Abbott holding the bag. 

I wonder if Abbott and Super Frank had anything in writing. . .  did they just have a handshake deal and Frank backed out when it was taking too long, or did they have a signed agreement that let Frank out if it took too long.  I know developers are risk-takers by nature, but first Abbott actually started renovation apparently before his financing was secure, then tore the building down as a condition of a sale that wasn't even finalized. 

Also, Abbott apparently put the building on the market, "sold" it and no one even knew about it until demolition began. . . but now there has been a sign hanging on the fence for several weeks and no one is interested.  And, wasn't the city trying to assemble this whole block for some big development?  I can see a prospective buyer being turned off by the fact that the building immediately to the south is actually crumbling onto the property.
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

:evil:
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

If ever I used profanity on an internet forum, this would be the time.

We lost the building COMPLETELY needlessly, it appears.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Well at least there are no plans to tear it down (yet).  The momentum is too good in that area for someone not to pick it up.
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

ignatius wrote: Well at least there are no plans to tear it down (yet).  The momentum is too good in that area for someone not to pick it up.
Tear what down?  It's already been torn down.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

This is inexcusable.  Someone's gonna lose they job behind that.  And I mean this.

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Big Red Storm wrote: Tear what down?  It's already been torn down.
Er, confused this with Professional building.  Just ignore me.
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

ignatius wrote: Er, confused this with Professional building.  Just ignore me.
Now tearing down the Professional building would completely piss me off.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

@#)(*#$)(%$&@!@%^%*#!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :puke: :puke: :puke:

i swear.  You know, if they had just waited 6 months they could have almost certainly sold the building to McGowan or any number of developers wanting to rehab historic buildings into lofts.  I knew it in my gut, this was going to be bullshit.  

Who knows what this parcel's fate will be.  But i think it missed it's best chance at being an active part of our urban fabric within the next 5 years.  ARGH!!
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to post about this and forgot all about it.  I noticed a huge FOR SALE sign hanging on the fence last Friday and wondered what the hell was going on.

Assholes.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Wow.  Wonder what recourse Abbott has?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This has to be one of the biggest F-ups in KC history.  When I read that I could not believe what I was reading.  Abbott must have had his back against the wall to tear down a building he was in the middle of restoring or he got one hell of an offer for it.

Somebody better get to the bottom of this, as we now have a gravel lot right in the heart of Downtown when we could, at the very least, have a historic restored loft buidling there instead.

Nice.

:twisted: :puke:
Last edited by GRID on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

well... on the bright side, hopefully this is taken to heart by whoever does end up buying this parcel:
The property, which is close to the arena and entertainment district being built in the South Loop area of downtown, is believed to be ideal for redevelopment as an office building or mixed-use project.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

ComandanteCero wrote: well... on the bright side, hopefully this is taken to heart by whoever does end up buying this parcel:

Yes, chances are real good that that site will get a large scale project built on it from the arena north to 12th, and the wig place can work out a fair deal to sell instead of what the city was doing to them.

But still, this is irratating as hell.  My granpa worked in that building and helped design many other downtown buildings in the Law building.  I really wanted to see that one saved.  I know, I'm selfish.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

That block would be a prime location for a cutting edge condo development. I can't imagine it'll stay on the market very long.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Now, because it will be so close to the arena and P&L, I hope Abbott can hold on to the property and make a killing when he does sell it.
A fool and your money are soon united.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Yeah that is prime real estate, so I'm not too terribly worried. 
Czar
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Czar »

What is KCN talking about, Brian Fellows is minding his own business..  If there was  a KC Development Blooper or Razie award, we would have a winner, though from what I have heard Abbott had a hard contract and could not deliver because he had a small loan from HEDFC that their accounts were frozen by a Federal Judge and could not deliver title.  It is a big loss for downtown, hope that the asking price for property is fair and someone comes up with a solid development plan.
diamond
Pad site
Pad site

Post by diamond »

I think asking price is $90 a foot.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Czar wrote: What is KCN talking about, Brian Fellows is minding his own business..
That is a classic Brian Fellow line :lol: