NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

90 pages in and we still don't have an NBA or NHL team....I'm done with this thread ](*,)

Maybe we should focus on getting an AHL team in the Sprint Center.  With AHL plus the AFL, I think I would be okay with that.  Seems there are quite a few cities bigger than KC that have AHL teams (Seattle, Houston are two that come to mind).  Plus throw in a non-conference basketball tourney, couple KU/MU/K-state games plus the Big 12 tournament...plenty of bball right there.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

San Antonio has won like 3 championships in the past 10 years and they have a smaller population then KC or Milwaukee, so i don't buy the whole small market conspiracy.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: 90 pages in and we still don't have an NBA or NHL team....I'm done with this thread ](*,)
That's right!  I forgot that we were supposed to have an NBA or NHL team by page 75 of this thread.

brewcrew1000 wrote: San Antonio has won like 3 championships in the past 10 years and they have a smaller population then KC or Milwaukee, so i don't buy the whole small market conspiracy.
1. San Antonio's population is much larger than Milwaukee and the about same size as KC.

2. San Antonio only has one pro team.
KC is the way to be!
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

AllThingsKC wrote: That's right!  I forgot that we were supposed to have an NBA or NHL team by page 75 of this thread.
It's Funk's fault, not yours  8).  I was being facetious.  I just don't see KC landing an NBA or NHL team, so why not go for an AHL team and see how attendance does?
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: It's Funk's fault, not yours  8).  I was being facetious.  I just don't see KC landing an NBA or NHL team, so why not go for an AHL team and see how attendance does?
I do not see KC getting a team anytime soon.  Though since the Mavericks have been supported pretty well, my guess is AHL would too.
KC is the way to be!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

AllThingsKC wrote: That's right!  I forgot that we were supposed to have an NBA or NHL team by page 75 of this thread.

1. San Antonio's population is much larger than Milwaukee and the about same size as KC.

2. San Antonio only has one pro team.
I'm from Milwaukee and I think we really get an unfair population number when CSA and MSA populations are counted because Chicago steals Kenosha and Racine is usually never factored into the population numbers.  Kenosha to Milwaukee is closer then Kenosha to Chicago but for some reason Kenosha is apart of Chicagos population, makes no sense.  If anything, Kenosha/Racine and Waukegan should have there own MSA population
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Living in a market that follows the NBA, I get a lot more general NBA vibe even though I don't follow it much (although much more than I did while in KC).

I can tell you that OKC has quickly become a respected NBA city with great NBA fans.  The only things I hear about OKC are how tough it is to play there, how much the fans are into the games and even some pretty positive feedback from people that have traveled to OKC as we have a lot of business travel between OKC and DC (FAA has a huge presence in OKC).

If OKC can build such a respectable image and not be the stepchild of the NBA teams, then anybody can do it and they are half the size of KC.

Having said that, while I think KC could support an NHL or NHL team, it sure doesn't look likely without local ownership that wants a team in KC.  That's why I have always pushed for an AHL club in KC.  It would be better than the mavs, but KC probably wouldn't support two minor league hockey clubs.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

GRID wrote: Living in a market that follows the NBA, I get a lot more general NBA vibe even though I don't follow it much (although much more than I did while in KC).

I can tell you that OKC has quickly become a respected NBA city with great NBA fans.  The only things I hear about OKC are how tough it is to play there, how much the fans are into the games and even some pretty positive feedback from people that have traveled to OKC as we have a lot of business travel between OKC and DC (FAA has a huge presence in OKC).

If OKC can build such a respectable image and not be the stepchild of the NBA teams, then anybody can do it and they are half the size of KC.

Having said that, while I think KC could support an NHL or NHL team, it sure doesn't look likely without local ownership that wants a team in KC.  That's why I have always pushed for an AHL club in KC.  It would be better than the mavs, but KC probably wouldn't support two minor league hockey clubs.
It has a lot to do with the NBA being the only game in town in OKC. Portland and Sacramento are also considered some of the best fans in the NBA and they are one sport towns.

I'm not saying KC couldn't do it, or that we shouldn't pursue it. I'm really saying the NBA needs to decide what it wants to be - a sports that is confined largely to large market coastal cities, a sport that can only survive in non-huge markets if its the only game in town, or will they develop a more widespread appeal by cultivating markets like Milwaukee, Cleveland and KC?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I think it probably has more to do with OKC being good. Let's see how the great NBA fans react after Durant blows town and the team misses the playoffs for a few years. Granted - they have him locked up through 2016, but still - winning is the driving force.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

WNBA Team? DL Team?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mgsports wrote: WNBA Team? DL Team?
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Palin is hot.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

NDTeve wrote: Palin is hot.

That she is! She has that hot looking school teacher fetish look to her! :P
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Back on track:

Kings seek new relocation deadline

Article lists many of the obstacles in a Kings move anywhere, particularly Anaheim.

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

WNBA keeps expanding so KC could be inline for a team. DL might look at Independence,MO to put a Team.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

mgsports wrote: WNBA keeps expanding so KC could be inline for a team. DL might look at Independence,MO to put a Team.
I doubt the D-League will look at Independence. They already have two well drawing winter tenants. The Comets and Mavericks both eat up all the primo weekend dates. The D-League ain't coming in and playing Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

WNBA, please, stop kidding around.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

The WNBA is the Ross Dress For Less of professional sports leagues.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

WSPanic wrote: The WNBA is the Ross Dress For Less of professional sports leagues.
Congrats. You just won the internet!

In his podcast with Jason Sudeikis, Bill Simmons talks a bit about the possibility of the NBA coming to KC and is baffled why some rich dude in KC wouldn't want to step up and purchase a team and "be a hero" to Kansas City the way Clay Bennett is in OKC (or Ewing Kauffman was).

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCMax wrote: baffled why some rich dude in KC wouldn't want to step up and purchase a team and "be a hero" to Kansas City the way Clay Bennett is in OKC (or Ewing Kauffman was).
how many people in KC really have that kind of dough?  KC's old money families (the Kempers, Blochs, Halls, Helzburgs, etc.) don't seem interested in such things and the new money (Min Kao, who else?) don't either.  after all, neither the royals nor the chiefs are owned by locals.  if the NBA were to come to KC, it would need to come from some regional or national owner or ownership group simply choosing to do so for whatever reason - a prospect which grows dimmer every day.