Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Post by davidc »

Changes on the Google Fiber website - the rest of Johnson County is now merged (Leawood is removed, Overland Park is no longer separate) and listed as "Coming 2015".
Lee's Summit is also listed as "Coming 2015".
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

earthling wrote:Flyers going out for Business Class Service, $100/month...

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... rvice.html

If other markets with Gbit don't offer biz call service priced this low, it could be a boost for KC, attracting more small biz and startups.
Did anyone get an invite for Biz Class service? Would like to find out the terms of service.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We're on their business mailing list, but haven't received an email in this regards.
davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Post by davidc »

There is a little bit about the small business offering on the GF Blog today:
A next step for Google Fiber and small business
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

And the news is quickly spreading around the AP/Reuters feeds and tech/telcom blogs. KC could more likely capitalize on small biz class service than residential service if other Gigabit ISPs in other cities don't follow suit...

https://news.google.com/news/section?pz ... 0b9&ict=ln
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, we need to see the terms. I would think it would be at least as good as TWC Small Biz Class service ToS but not as good as Enterprise Class like MPLS circuit. Maybe somewhere in between. A GF engineer told me the network is designed to supply at least 800M per sub even under extremely heavy neighborhood loads. So if GF offers a QoS to Biz class service, it might be 700 or 800Mbps and 'up to' Gigabit.

BTW, Starbucks at 41/st/Main also has it. They also have Chromebooks hardwired and wireless charging pads.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KSHB aired a story about this on last night's 10:00 newscast - they said the initial coverage would be from State Line to The Paseo and just north/south of Gregory.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, curious locations to start with but another article said all fiberhoods should get Biz Class within months.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Google also now says they don't plan on small biz class service in either Austin or Provo. AT&T just today said they will halt nationwide fiber rollout until Net Neutrality is resolved (that will take a while, poor Leawood). As long as KC is only market (or one of few) with $100 symmetrical Gigabit for small/med biz, it could become a much bigger economic boost than residential service.

http://www.zdnet.com/at-and-t-halts-fib ... 000035730/

The local ecodev groups in KC need to double down on getting the message out that this is unique to KC and may be for quite a while. Need to constantly release testimonials from small biz that have it and keep the media regularly active with the topic. Is highly likely it will attract many startups/SMBs from outside region as long as the message is consistently out there.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

GF just expanded biz class to a bunch more fiberhoods. River Market can now get it...

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ge_gallery

Would love to see River Market create a new Startup Village (or Xroads when it can get biz class service).
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

The new versions of the Google Fiber hardware are out of private beta and have been delivered to some new customers over the past week or so.

http://zatznotfunny.com/2014-07/google- ... -detailed/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Very few low income building owners in KC are going for the 'free' 5M. The way it works for multi unit buildings is that when a building comes to agreement with Google, the building owner pays the $300 install fee for every unit and then all units get the 'free' 5M with option to upgrade. For each unit that upgrades to TV|Gbit, the building owner gets $300 back.

This is great for market rate apt/condo buildings but what's happeing is that low income property owners/slumlords don't want to spend the money because is less likely low income will upgrade to Gbit, so they don't get anything back.

Austin Housing Authority has agreement with Google Fiber to waive the $300 install fee for several low income buildings managed by the HA. Google is essentially giving the HA a donation. AJoD, you once mentioned to me that Google has been working with KC on a similar deal. Seems like this announcement makes it doable...

http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/ne ... gle-fiber/
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

Well, in part of my neighborhood (Northland near Liberty) they have install dates scheduled. Also, I noticed GF has come through and marked utilities from the inground box to the side of our homes where the rest of the utilities come in. We have those markings now at our house. One neighbor has the box already installed on their house with no installation date scheduled. So we seem to have a mix of various statuses just in our neighborhood. But it definitely looks like we might all have GF boxes on the sides of our houses before Christmas. If that can happen, then I'd think installations would be easy to achieve in Jan/Feb for most of our neighborhood.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is anyone in Central KCMO not yet hooked up that has been registered over a year ago? Which fiberhood? I think brewcrew said he wasn't yet.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Still not hooked up, signed up in August, they emailed me last week and said I wouldn't be hooked up until April 2015. This was just for free, but on my profile I switched in September to 70 dollar internet for about 2 weeks to see if they would come out but still nothing so i switched back to free.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Is anyone in Central KCMO not yet hooked up that has been registered over a year ago? Which fiberhood? I think brewcrew said he wasn't yet.
I'm not yet hooked up, but registered in August (2014). Last email I received (and response when I called) was to hang tight, hopefully will get done by April 2015 (!!) - just wait for a follow-up email to hear more when closer to install date.

Again, I am in multifamily in Southmoreland (hood shows completed on Fiber website).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

A friend in a Southmoreland condo was hooked up earlier this summer. Confirm that your building has an agreement with Google. If owner/assoc wants it done a certain way it will take longer. My building took 4 months longer because of way we wanted fiber laid out.

https://fiber.google.com/propertymanage ... partments/
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

I'm up north and signed up in March. My installation is scheduled for 12/4. I could have done it a week or two ago, but the billing cycles worked out better to wait.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Does anyone know about how much KCMO and/or KCK had to invest or $ amount of concessions for Google Fiber? I saw only around $10M but that was a while ago. That's a small amount compared to hundreds of millions Google is investing into KC.