We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by flyingember »

I always forget where the baggage pickup is in KC. I keep thinking of airports where it's on a lower level so pickup and leaving doesn't interfere with each other.

the doors around baggage always gets congested too with cars idling for people. causes a safety issue for pedestrians
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Speedy airport

Post by herrfrank »

Just landed at KCI again last night. Flight arrived ontime at 11pm, I was out the security door within one minute of exiting the plane. Out the KCI door and into a waiting car in one additional minute. On I-29 by 11:05pm. At my destination near the Plaza by 11:30pm.

There are few airports where you can do this. Atlanta, in contrast, would require a 10-minute schlep to the tram, a 10-minute tram ride to the terminal, probably a 5-minute walk to a waiting car, navigate the exit roads for 5 minutes, then finally to I-85. When you fly 100,000+ miles per year, those 30 minutes of waste add up. For a frequent traveler, KCI's speed is a huge asset. The tiny waiting areas may be a problem for some, but the speed in and out of that airport is paramount to me.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

herrfrank wrote:Just landed at KCI again last night. Flight arrived ontime at 11pm, I was out the security door within one minute of exiting the plane. Out the KCI door and into a waiting car in one additional minute. On I-29 by 11:05pm. At my destination near the Plaza by 11:30pm.

There are few airports where you can do this. Atlanta, in contrast, would require a 10-minute schlep to the tram, a 10-minute tram ride to the terminal, probably a 5-minute walk to a waiting car, navigate the exit roads for 5 minutes, then finally to I-85. When you fly 100,000+ miles per year, those 30 minutes of waste add up. For a frequent traveler, KCI's speed is a huge asset. The tiny waiting areas may be a problem for some, but the speed in and out of that airport is paramount to me.
I agree - getting in and out of the airport is quick and easy...but too often negated by long waits to get through security or lengthy walk to the end of the terminal to get checked bags.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

Security waits are not a significant problem at KCI.

But for the sake of discussion, lets assume they are - what is your proposed solution? Even longer waits like at other airports?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

knucklehead wrote:Security waits are not a significant problem at KCI.

But for the sake of discussion, lets assume they are - what is your proposed solution? Even longer waits like at other airports?
I travel a half dozen times a year for work and 3-4 times a year for leisure. For the sake of discussion, KCI does have waits at security and the crowded area for xrays sucks every weekday morning I fly between 6-8am. It's not consistently packed and even during peak periods the lines ebb and flow, but yes it does get busy.

No need to get snarky - I wasn't providing a solution, just pointing out a alternative point of view.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

wait time is of course a function of traffic load, security gate layout, staffing, flight plans, flight load and when people arrive. in other words, complex

combining doesn't mean longer waits with the right layout.
many into many though instantly is like a roll of the dice. are you at the entry with 5 full flights or the one half full and they both have equal amounts of equipment?

you can get crazy lines at an airport with one security area but you can staff up easier to help every flight and start the line moving. going from 9 to 10 people is a greater than 10% improvement in line movement. In KC if things speed up by 50% the bar started so much lower

and part of this staff isn't even in the same building, adding to the mess of moving people around to help out
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

im2kull wrote:
grovester wrote:I think if SW wants a big seat at the table it needs to step up with a plan. More flights, a hub, funding existing amenities. If we're saving them big bucks by forgoing an improved terminal, they should contribute.
Southwest DID step up, they said NO new terminal. End of story.
No they didn't.
“We don’t want to be specific, but we have a team at Southwest that’s good at working with local communities to design, finance and build terminals that work for those communities.”
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

if southwest could do for KCI what they did for love field (the renovation), sign me up.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I fly 8-10 times per year. I don't give 2 shits about security wait times or baggage or walking immeidately outside to wait for a shuttle for 15 minutes to ride 15 minutes to walk 5 minutes to my car. I care even less about "small bathrooms" or "dark prison-like terminals (whatever the fuck that means, a bunch of you people have clearly never been in jail)" or "no Quiznos/Borders/Purse store after security when I feel like my American desire for instant sub-par food and shopping gratification is a fucking right". I care the least about design and whether or not business travelers think KC is for bumpkins because they can see cows and there's not a lot of "big city" hassle at the airport. Let them cry about it with their "golf buddies".

I want more flight options with less connections. I want to be able to miss a homebound afternoon flight from a major airport in America and be able to still get back to KC that night, not have to wait til the next day because there's no service to KCI after about 3 pm. I would like more plug ins, free wireless, and a place for children (mine and other peoples) to play on some jungle gym shit to settle the brats down. And I want it to stay cheap-ish.

If someone can show/promise/suggest/or even hint how that will happen with a new terminal, I'm all for it. If not, seems like a wild wild waste of money.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chingon wrote:and a place for children (mine and other peoples) to play on some jungle gym shit to settle the brats down.
as a parent of a very active 3-year-old I concur with this idea. a play area behind security would be wonderful at every airport. especially for layovers.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chingon wrote:I find this pretty compelling.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/14/47 ... -urge.html
In what way?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Yeah, I'll buy into this. When a plan is on the table. Apparently there are "creative" ways to improve the terminals without increasing airlines costs.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCPowercat wrote:

In what way?
I think it makes a good case for not spending an enormous amount of money on a new terminal.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chingon wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:

In what way?
I think it makes a good case for not spending an enormous amount of money on a new terminal.
Well we are going to have to spend some money on the airport whether its major rehabs or new terminal....they didn't say they were against all new terminals...they are just protecting their profit margin at this point.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"they are just protecting their profit margin at this point."

I would agree. They just want a say in what is built and make sure that it is not too over-the-top with regards to amenities that drive costs up. More than anything else I think they will take function over style.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:"they are just protecting their profit margin at this point."

I would agree. They just want a say in what is built and make sure that it is not too over-the-top with regards to amenities that drive costs up. More than anything else I think they will take function over style.
wouldn't be a horrible end result. it's possible to do construction that's functional and looks good.

put the money into making it expandable, designed so someday rail can end close and completely functional.

I wonder if the city would/could waive the 1% art requirement. Could do something unique instead. Imagine the good PR if we took $1 million and used it to bring students into KC to visit art museums that don't normally. I doubt anyone would argue over that idea. (I know *someone* would)
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCPowercat wrote: Well we are going to have to spend some money on the airport whether its major rehabs or new terminal....they didn't say they were against all new terminals...they are just protecting their profit margin at this point.
Yeah, I'm not against a new terminal. I don't love MCI, or find it convenient. It's just a big price tag for what they're selling.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"I wonder if the city would/could waive the 1% art requirement."

Personally, I would love the city to drop this requirement. Instead of an individual "work of art" why not put the money into the building and make it functional. It could be in building design, light fixtures, materials and how they are used, and many other ways.

An architect or a designer can do a work of art as well as an artist.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:"I wonder if the city would/could waive the 1% art requirement."

Personally, I would love the city to drop this requirement. Instead of an individual "work of art" why not put the money into the building and make it functional. It could be in building design, light fixtures, materials and how they are used, and many other ways.

An architect or a designer can do a work of art as well as an artist.

I agree, it would be nice to add the money to the design of the building versus free standing art. We most likely can't match the type of designs that we used to have (for example Art Deco), but it would help.