beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: beer.

Post by kboish »

that sounds right. I think it happened again to some of the BBQ. Don't know if they put it on the shelves though
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Hoppy Wheat has been in the event space the last couple times I've been there, and it was also available at the KC Bartending Competition last year. Can't recall if it's ever intended to be widely distributed.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

AJoD wrote:Hoppy Wheat has been in the event space the last couple times I've been there, and it was also available at the KC Bartending Competition last year. Can't recall if it's ever intended to be widely distributed.

I recently saw it listed as a beer at a Boulevard Beer Dinner somewhere too.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Foundry named a Top 100 Beer Bar by "Draft Magazine"

http://www.pitch.com/fatcity/archives/2 ... -beer-bars
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.pitch.com/kansascity/deschut ... id=2763121
Missouri is the 18th state that Deschutes has entered, and Kansas is set to follow this spring. The company is now the fifth-largest craft brewer in the country. The Deschutes rollout in Missouri was initially slated for last summer, to coincide with the release of the brewery's alliance with Boulevard — the Collaboration No. 2 White IPA — but demand for the brewery's hop-forward beers made that impossible.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Nice. I really like Mirror Pond Pale.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

So I see that Boulevard has changed to pry off beer caps...bravo. =D>

I don't know if it is because of these pry-off caps but I can now get Boulevard Wheat in a bottle that tastes as fresh as when I get it/used to get it in KC. I don't know what the issue was but historically its been rather meh by the time I pick it up in St. Louis.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

There is still, to me, few beers that are as great on a hot summer day as a "KC fresh" boulevard wheat. Now wheres that fuckin' canning line? Schlafly has a helles style lager just for float trips in cans...i'd prefer boulevard wheat. Those aluminum bottles of wheat are too expensive. Are float trips considered too low class/blue collar in KC? :D
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Their site used to claim they would never do cans because they were "too traditionalist" or something like that, but I notice that this has disappeared from the FAQ...
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Eh, good, it's time to let the smaller breweries worry about being uber traditional. Boulevard should use its heft to continue to mainstreamize decent beer, in my opinion. I think that the pilsner would be great in a can too.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I think that the pilsner would be great in a can too.
YES!!

Also, I fully agree about BLVD continuing to democratize decent beer. It seems they're trying sort of a two-tier approach with the Smokestack Series becoming more accessible for the hardcore crowd (they produce a lot of the standard SS lines, they're easy to find now and come in 4 packs) and their regular lines continue to cater to the casual drinker.

BTW, did they stop making Lunar Ale? I haven't seen it around in some time and would be disappointed to hear it's gone away...?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i would absolutely love the pilsner to be available in a can. as i've come to drink almost exclusively canned dad/yard beers, i would love the opportunity to purchase such a product from blvd, esp. since pilsner is way better than macro yard beers.
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

For the fellow forum members who live in the DC metro area. I sorely missed Boulevard while living in DC for the past four years. I might not have even moved back to KC if Boulevard had been available. :o

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... 2012-05-31
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Our Blvd. in the PNW seems spotty. They are priced higher, seem to have no promotion, and I have found outdated beer at Winco (cub foods), Xmas time beer
at another store, and at our Supermarket with the most extensive beer selection in the Valley,they got cut back from 3 slots to just 1-Singlewide IPA. I blame their distributor.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Cheapy yard beer alert - I've discovered Old Milwaukee Light (NOT Milwaukee's Best, Old Milwaukee, by Schlitz, that of the Will Ferrell ads). Classic American super-light lager; you can drink of ton of them, they taste decent, are generally the cheapest 12er in the store at $6.99 and even have a 2008 "Best American-Style Light Beer" World Beer Cup award on the can. Can't go wrong trying out a 12 pack this summer, just slightly hard to find. Gomer's has it, but you have to ask.

Also, Cosentino's downtown now has a decent little DIY 6 pack section with some nice beers - Deschutes, Lagunitas, Schlafly, O'Dells, etc. Some great high-ABV IPAs and ciders too...
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

rxlexi wrote:Cheapy yard beer alert - I've discovered Old Milwaukee Light (NOT Milwaukee's Best, Old Milwaukee, by Schlitz, that of the Will Ferrell ads). Classic American super-light lager; you can drink of ton of them, they taste decent, are generally the cheapest 12er in the store at $6.99 and even have a 2008 "Best American-Style Light Beer" World Beer Cup award on the can. Can't go wrong trying out a 12 pack this summer, just slightly hard to find. Gomer's has it, but you have to ask.

Also, Cosentino's downtown now has a decent little DIY 6 pack section with some nice beers - Deschutes, Lagunitas, Schlafly, O'Dells, etc. Some great high-ABV IPAs and ciders too...
Thanks for the tip. I'll give em a shot this weekend.

I've noticed that BLVD has gone to pry-offs. Assuming it is a QC issue.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kucer wrote:
rxlexi wrote:Cheapy yard beer alert - I've discovered Old Milwaukee Light (NOT Milwaukee's Best, Old Milwaukee, by Schlitz, that of the Will Ferrell ads). Classic American super-light lager; you can drink of ton of them, they taste decent, are generally the cheapest 12er in the store at $6.99 and even have a 2008 "Best American-Style Light Beer" World Beer Cup award on the can. Can't go wrong trying out a 12 pack this summer, just slightly hard to find. Gomer's has it, but you have to ask.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give em a shot this weekend.

I've noticed that BLVD has gone to pry-offs. Assuming it is a QC issue.
http://www.boulevard.com/removing-the-t ... r-bottles/
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Not sure if they've already had QC issues or if this is to prevent the potential for them as their distribution footprint grows. I am assuming this will allow for distribution into more distant markets where it will be an unfamiliar product that won't move as quickly off the shelves.
catfish1812
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by catfish1812 »

I will check out the Old Milwaukee Light. I have been stuck on High Life Lite as of late. It's pretty darn good for light can beer.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Happend upon a bottle of Love Child #2, BLVD's latest smokestack series. Can't say I'm a fan, particularly at $17 a bottle. Not sure it still qualifies as beer once it gets that sour.