Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by GRID »

Looking good. I like the ceilings.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Nice to see the moving walkways along the sides of the concourse instead of down the middle like at some airports. And those terrazzo floor finishers earn every penny they make...what a monotonous, labor-intensive job.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What will the ceiling on the exterior entrance be? I know the interior will be the strips of wood but that wouldn't be feasible out in the elements.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:10 am What will the ceiling on the exterior entrance be? I know the interior will be the strips of wood but that wouldn't be feasible out in the elements.
Also wood
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I like those jet ways. Love the glass. I wonder about the climate control & maintenance but they look great. I could even see them tweaking design to have sections of metal & glass throughout length instead of all glass. Windows and natural light always are a welcomed design feature
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:40 am I like those jet ways. Love the glass. I wonder about the climate control & maintenance but they look great. I could even see them tweaking design to have sections of metal & glass throughout length instead of all glass. Windows and natural light always are a welcomed design feature
Why? Glass jetways have been used overseas for a long time
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

I know Southwest Florida Int'l Airport recently installed new "glass" jetbridges, but the glass portion is literally one pane in an otherwise standard, corrugated steel jetbridge. I tried to read through all of the back and forth they had with the various contractors, and it seems like their concerns were about climate control in a hot, humid climate with strong sunlight, as well as maintenance and reliability issues reported by other airports using glass jetbridges. Whether the reliability problems were related to the specific contractor or to glass jetbridges as a whole, I couldn't clarify.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I was at the game last night talking to many Buffalo fans- flew in from all over the country. Couldn't help but think how much better it would've been if we could've had this airport ready for these last 4 AFC Championship games. If we host again next year it would really be nice if they maybe squeeze the opening date to right before we host.

If we could do that we could literally go 1. AFC Championship 2. March Madness. 3. NFL Draft all hosted within the first three months of the airports opening. That's a ton of massive events. Please please do this KC.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:34 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:40 am I like those jet ways. Love the glass. I wonder about the climate control & maintenance but they look great. I could even see them tweaking design to have sections of metal & glass throughout length instead of all glass. Windows and natural light always are a welcomed design feature
Why? Glass jetways have been used overseas for a long time
I'm sure they have been used fine, I have not had exposure to them and was just curious. Anytime you have a material like glass I was just wondering how it handle those things like climate control, keeping them clean, what happens when they get damaged etc. Mine was just a comment on them maybe tweaking design if those concerns were something. But otherwise they look great and will be cool to have. Nothing specific against them
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:40 pm I was at the game last night talking to many Buffalo fans- flew in from all over the country. Couldn't help but think how much better it would've been if we could've had this airport ready for these last 4 AFC Championship games. If we host again next year it would really be nice if they maybe squeeze the opening date to right before we host.

If we could do that we could literally go 1. AFC Championship 2. March Madness. 3. NFL Draft all hosted within the first three months of the airports opening. That's a ton of massive events. Please please do this KC.
Even though Buffalo has a much smaller airport than KC, they do have a very nice and modern terminal. It's probably a shock to come to a larger city and experience KCI.

Luckily, when you use KCI now, it's easy to spot the new terminal and people can see that the city is in fact getting a new terminal. I'm not sure the new terminal will have a major wow factor or that it will be an airport that will even be remembered by most travelers, but that's good thing because most people do remember the current KCI and they are often wowed by how depressing it it or how few amenities it has.

I'm so happy for KC and the new terminal. It's by far one of the best things KC has done in a long time. I honestly plan to book a flight there asap after it opens.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:40 pm I was at the game last night talking to many Buffalo fans- flew in from all over the country. Couldn't help but think how much better it would've been if we could've had this airport ready for these last 4 AFC Championship games. If we host again next year it would really be nice if they maybe squeeze the opening date to right before we host.

Any negative comments about the existing airport?

Like Grid says, the new terminal should be obvious to fliers while landing (if they are on the correct side of the plane) and when leaving the airport. Hopefully, most realize the current situation is temporary.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And there are signs saying as much in the current terminals. Personally I think there should be more
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Do all airports have something like this?

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/c ... 50378.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I assume you are asking about the north park rendering? The rest of the story is just about the landscaper chosen?

I don't know how many airports have that. I would have loved to have some outdoor space airside but I know how many security problems that can create. I don't feel like that north garden thing will get much of any use and could be scrapped after a decade but I hope I'm wrong.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:50 pm I assume you are asking about the north park rendering? The rest of the story is just about the landscaper chosen?

I don't know how many airports have that. I would have loved to have some outdoor space airside but I know how many security problems that can create. I don't feel like that north garden thing will get much of any use and could be scrapped after a decade but I hope I'm wrong.
I'm genuinely curious, but what is it that the haters were expecting this airport to have that it came up short on?
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't understand the question
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:10 pm I don't understand the question
I missed a word. Look again now.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:52 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:50 pm I assume you are asking about the north park rendering? The rest of the story is just about the landscaper chosen?

I'm genuinely curious, but what is it that the haters were expecting this airport to have that it came up short on?
I think people are still waiting see how the approach works. Some people don’t like the massive garage against the terminal. There’s not going to be any standout architecture on the outside or inside. People are still concerned if it’ll be too narrow in places.

I’m mostly happy so far! If they pull off the city market look I think that’ll be cool, although mostly for kc residents. I like the art choices so far. I’m most concerned about the gates and if it’ll all be a bit tight.

I do think people over estimate how nice an airport needs to be only because ours is so awful currently. I just don’t want it to have the problem that airports like midway and sjo have where everyone gets pushed to a central crowded food court area with narrow extensions out.

I’m super excited to see it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I guess it depends on what phase of the project you are targeting the haters. The first set didn't see it necessary. After approval the complaint has been it's kind of being done on a shoestring budget. So no fun extras.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:36 pm

I guess it depends on what phase of the project you are targeting the haters. The first set didn't see it necessary. After approval the complaint has been it's kind of being done on a shoestring budget. So no fun extras.
Ok but what extras are they wanting?