Big 12 Football

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Big 12 Football

Post by Maitre D »

I don't think I"m reading this right.  Let me know if the following is really true?

Jan 19.  Men's basketball.  KU 76-70.  1.5 points
Feb 4.  Men's basketball.  KU 90-71.  1.5 points.

March 16:  Women's tennis.  MU 4-3.    3 points.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

As far as I'm concerned...KU has the lead...but will likely be a draw b/c of MU's probably win at Arrowhead this November. Lets be honest, football and basketball are the only sports anyone gives a shit about. Baseball....maybe.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Maitre D wrote: I don't think I"m reading this right.  Let me know if the following is really true?

Jan 19.  Men's basketball.  KU 76-70.  1.5 points
Feb 4.  Men's basketball.  KU 90-71.  1.5 points.

March 16:  Women's tennis.  MU 4-3.    3 points.

I wonder how much Alden had to fork over in order to get that kinda of set-up in the works. Strange.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kcmetro wrote: I wonder how much Alden had to fork over in order to get that kinda of set-up in the works. Strange.
The scoring should go as per fan interest.  Like this:

Football:            100
Basketball:        50 points per game.
Baseball:            5 points per game

Women's hoops:  .5 points per game
Men's golf:        .4 points per game
Women's tennis:  .000000034 points per decade
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

NDTeve wrote: As far as I'm concerned...KU has the lead...but will likely be a draw b/c of MU's probably win at Arrowhead this November. Lets be honest, football and basketball are the only sports anyone gives a shit about. Baseball....maybe.
I agree... but it is what it is.  You can thank Title 9 for this, all sports counting equally is the only PC way to handle it.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

jlbomega wrote: I agree... but it is what it is.  You can thank Title 9 for this, all sports counting equally is the only PC way to handle it.
Title 9 proponents didn't post this in the sports thread.

jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

Maitre D wrote: Title 9 proponents didn't post this in the sports thread.
Yeah... but like I said it is what it is and WE WON!!  So there  8)
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

jlbomega wrote: Yeah... but like I said it is what it is and WE WON!!  So there  8)

Well, keep the award.  Your trophy case needs more hardware than ours does.

jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 7be23.html

2009 and 2010 Cotton Bowl will be moved to Jan. 2nd at 1pm.  Fox has already agreed to the change in time.  This is the first step to becoming the fifth BCS bowl.  And some people on here told me I was crazy that in five years the Cotton Bown would be on the same level as the Orange Bowl  :lol:

I know the early start time sucked, but it wasn't as bad as I thought.  It just meant no tailgating before the game.  In the end this is just another tradition that has been destroyed by the BCS.  Thank you BCS for ruining college football.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Coming the same day the Big 10 Commish states publicly that they will put the kaibosh on any efforts to modify the current BCS structure. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

jlbomega wrote: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 7be23.html

2009 and 2010 Cotton Bowl will be moved to Jan. 2nd at 1pm.  Fox has already agreed to the change in time.  This is the first step to becoming the fifth BCS bowl.  And some people on here told me I was crazy that in five years the Cotton Bown would be on the same level as the Orange Bowl  :lol:

No - we told you, you were crazy to equate something that *could* happen in 5 years to something happening today.

If the Cotton becomes the 5th BCS game and you make that game WHEN IT'S A BCS GAME, then it'll be equal to KU's 2007 Orange Bowl season.  But not when it's a 2nd tier game like this year.

jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

Maitre D wrote:
No - we told you, you were crazy to equate something that *could* happen in 5 years to something happening today.

If the Cotton becomes the 5th BCS game and you make that game WHEN IT'S A BCS GAME, then it'll be equal to KU's 2007 Orange Bowl season.   But not when it's a 2nd tier game like this year.
Sorry dude... keep dreaming.  All that matter is national perception.  In five years people will look back at wonder what the big deal was taking KU in the Orange bowl since the bowls will be viewed as equal.  It has already started to happen since winning the OB did nothing to move Kansas up in the final poll (and remained behind Mizzou).

To call the Cotton Bowl a "second tier" bowl proves just how little you know about the subject.  The Cotton Bowl historically has been one of the best.  I guess I shouldn't expect a Jayhawk to understand since you have never been invited to the bowl.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Coming the same day the Big 10 Commish states publicly that they will put the kaibosh on any efforts to modify the current BCS structure. 
Of course they don't want to change the BCS.  That would mean OSU couldn't continue backing into the National Championship game after beating up on a weak conference.  Seriously... I think the Big 10 has become the worst BCS confernce in football. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

God I hate the Big 10. Worst conference in country by far. My hell would be having to site through an Indiana v. Minnesota game at 9:00 am on a Saturday.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

NDTeve wrote: God I hate the Big 10. Worst conference in country by far. My hell would be having to site through an Indiana v. Minnesota game at 9:00 am on a Saturday.
Thank goodness it will be on ESPN so you can DVR it  :lol:
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

jlbomega wrote: Sorry dude... keep dreaming.  All that matter is national perception.  In five years people will look back at wonder what the big deal was taking KU in the Orange bowl since the bowls will be viewed as equal.  It has already started to happen since winning the OB did nothing to move Kansas up in the final poll (and remained behind Mizzou).
LOL!  4x as many people watched the OB.  Only in your mind, is the Cotton equivalent.

To call the Cotton Bowl a "second tier" bowl proves just how little you know about the subject.  The Cotton Bowl historically has been one of the best.  I guess I shouldn't expect a Jayhawk to understand since you have never been invited to the bowl.
Well, we had our sights set on the Orange.  But I'd like to go to the Cotton next year, if we fail to go to the BCS again.

jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

Maitre D wrote: Well, we had our sights set on the Orange.   But I'd like to go to the Cotton next year, if we fail to go to the BCS again.
Maybe you and one other Jayhawk.  Nobody was talking Kansas to the BCS until is was actually announced.  The reaction from Jayhawk nation was pure shock.  To act like you exepcted the BCS invite is a total joke. 
Maitre D wrote: LOL!   4x as many people watched the OB.   Only in your mind, is the Cotton equivalent.
Just because people watch something doesn't mean they care.  How many sporting events have you watched in your lifetime that you haven't cared one bit about?  The Orange Bowl was the only game on in primetime, it should have had more viewers we have covered this before. 

Ask yourself this, if the the OB and Cotton Bowl were on at the same time which game would have had the most viewers?  Pretty easy answer seeing how everyone in the media mocked Kansas for being in the Orange Bowl and any journalists that ranked the bowls said the Cotton was better.  So.... I believe only Jayhawk nation really felt the Orange Bowl was better this year.  Good try though.... 
Last edited by jlbomega on Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

I think most people would've tuned out of Cotton too...considering ARKY was destined for a faceplant after Houston was "he gone"
- Mark Twain
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

jlbomega wrote: Maybe you and one other Jayhawk.  Nobody was talking Kansas to the BCS until is was actually announced.  The reaction from Jayhawk nation was pure shock. 

That's obviously false - any team in the BCS final top-10 had a good shot for the 2 at-large bids, puh-leeze.

But when did you become an expert on KU fan reactions?

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Ask yourself this, if the the OB and Cotton Bowl were on at the same time which game would have had the most viewers?  Pretty easy answer seeing how everyone in the media mocked Kansas for being in the Orange Bowl and any journalists that ranked the bowls said the Cotton was better.  So.... I believe only Jayhawk nation really felt the Orange Bowl was better this year.  Good try though.... 
Many in the media thought KU was not the most deserving team in the BCS - that is correct. No one mocked KU for anything, though.

And the fact that a majority of media people considered it a surprise that KU made it has no bearing on the perception of the bowl. Everyone pretty much forgot about Missouri the day after the BCS selections. If someone happened to be awake and watching football on New Year's Day at 10am, they were then reminded that Missoure had a football program.

And, the fact that KU won the Orange Bowl, pretty much ended any national talk of them not belonging. 

MU had a fine season - I don't understand why you're still trying to convince yourself of that in April.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.