Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Three Light

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:33 pm Just drove by Three Light, there were two of those mini-cranes and drills running and moving around a constructions guys there working too. Seems like alot going on there? Looked very active!
The drills are for foundations. Truck based cranes (maybe the Mini cranes you refer to) erect a large red crawler crane which then erects the tower crane.

Thanks for the update. Would love it someone could get photos of this + the crane going up. Am trying to keep a photo record off all these projects in downtown for long term archival purposes.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I should dig up my pre p&l photos and go take some modern day ones.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:51 pm Image
It’s been 15 years since we had multiple cranes up in that area. I love this!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:56 pmIt’s been 15 years since we had multiple cranes up in that area. I love this!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Just went by 3 Light today and yep it's buzzing. The cranes are out and moving. Looks like this thing has finally taken off. Cap now?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This is good. I thought it was delayed again. I would guess the W&R tower crane won't be up too much longer.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Crane was topped out this evening.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Great pics, thanks for posting.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Nice to see that up. It doesn't look tall enough, but I don't see the mechanism that will help the crane grow taller later. Wouldn't it need to eventually be taller than the W&R crane?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

GRID wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:43 pm Nice to see that up. It doesn't look tall enough, but I don't see the mechanism that will help the crane grow taller later. Wouldn't it need to eventually be taller than the W&R crane?
Eventually it will get taller. I guess they’ll leave it at this height until they have to jump it, and have something to attach the crane to.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:51 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:43 pm Nice to see that up. It doesn't look tall enough, but I don't see the mechanism that will help the crane grow taller later. Wouldn't it need to eventually be taller than the W&R crane?
Eventually it will get taller. I guess they’ll leave it at this height until they have to jump it, and have something to attach the crane to.
yeah, I figured. I thought they had that extra thing that climbs up the tower. I guess they will build it later.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

JE DUNN posted that they plan 1 jump.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:36 pm JE DUNN posted that they plan 1 jump.
That's odd, since the photos indicate the hoisting collar is not installed on the Comansa crane.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kenrbnj wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:00 am
normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:36 pm JE DUNN posted that they plan 1 jump.
That's odd, since the photos indicate the hoisting collar is not installed on the Comansa crane.
That's what I said. I guess they will build the collar later? I have always found tower cranes to be fascinating. Hopefully the W&R one stays up for a while, but it will probably be gone by fall.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:57 pm
kenrbnj wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:00 am
That's what I said. I guess they will build the collar later? I have always found tower cranes to be fascinating. Hopefully the W&R one stays up for a while, but it will probably be gone by fall.
I thought I read on the Rag that the crane at the abandoned construction site on Broadway (hotel construction ended during CV19) was to return this coming Fall? That would make two inside the loop downtown.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Full speed ahead.

Cordish started too early and had to prove no environmental damage was caused by their actions. HUD requiring extra air filtration and sound dampening. I assume nothing more then 2 Light but the article wasn’t clear.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:48 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:39 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:26 am ^Concur. It was supposed to have started in early May and it's mid-August now. I'm not a construction expert but aren't they supposed to have broken ground by now?
Not sure when or if there will be a ceremony. Ground was broken, in a literal sense, a while ago. If you look at my photos the site has been graded.
One person at HUD is holding this up over an environmental noise concern despite there being no concern when 2L was built next door. Developer needed to get started and wanted to get going on ground work while this was being worked out but dude at HUD found out they “started construction” and is now being a even bigger problem maker. He must feel tall knowing he’s holding up construction.
According to the news article today, what DCole said here was exactly correct.

Leads me to believe he’s probably right about the south loop cap too.

I say that because yesterday a few were trying to say he was wrong.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:03 pm According to the news article today, what DCole said here was exactly correct.

Leads me to believe he’s probably right about the south loop cap too.

I say that because yesterday a few were trying to say he was wrong.
You've said your expertise is in politics. You should be aware that in development, just like politics, a basic truth can be spun a multitude of ways to suit a variety of agendas.

"HUD is holding up 3L" is a truth that DCole shared. Claiming that it's all purely ego at HUD and that Cordish is but an innocent victim is spin. Nobody else here can (or is willing to) prove or disprove that portion of his claim.

I don't think people doubt that DCole is knowledgeable of Cordish's intentions or plans. Some are just more skeptical than others of the pro-Cordish spin.