beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: beer.

Post by warwickland »

KCPowercat wrote: I'm loving the Schlafly American IPA special release...first one of their beers I actually enjoy..their others seem to all have one certain taste I don't enjoy.
I enjoy Schlafly at the brewpubs and beer trucks and get APA sixth barrels but I too don't like many of the varieties as much from the bottle...could be something with their bottling operation, who knows.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCPowercat wrote: seem to all have one certain taste I don't enjoy.
This is how I feel about Rogue. I always assumed it was some kind of yeast strain. that and the incredibly annoying habit of repackaging the same beer with different cutesy names and the same design-abortion labeling scheme.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Rogue uses a proprietary yeast they call pacman in pretty much all their beers. So it very well may be that.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Yes, of course. My palette-Fu is strong, if untrained
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

(It occurred to me after I posted this in the Minneapolis thread that it might better serve its purpose in this thread, thank you for your patience)

My girlfriend is headed up to MPLS this weekend and I have charged her with bringing back as much Surly as she can carry. While I suspect it is widely available, does anyone have a recommendation on a good shop to get it from? I'm hoping wherever she ends up will have the seasonals. Thanks!

Also--any other beers I should be hoping she picks up from up that way?
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

Blue Max in Burnsville and Four Firkins in St. Louis Park have the best selections in the metro that I have found.  I'd also suggest picking up some Lift Bridge - Farm Girl is my favorite, a saison, but all of their stuff is good.
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

And if either of you are cider fans, pick up some Crispin.  Best cider ever.  Get the honeycrisp and the saint if they are available... fantastic.  I'm not a cider guy but they are awesome.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Excellent, thanks for the tips! I will definitely scribble Crispin at the bottom of the barely legible list I'm giving her.  :lol:
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

You can get Crispin here. And if you are a fan a british ciders, buyer beware. I think Crispin is actually a cider/applejuice blend.
kansas
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kansas »

warwickland wrote: I enjoy Schlafly at the brewpubs and beer trucks and get APA sixth barrels but I too don't like many of the varieties as much from the bottle...could be something with their bottling operation, who knows.
            Mr. Kansas & I toured AB recently, and had some bud light out of a cold finishing tank,  and it was ambrosial. Now, that stuff is nearly undrinkable from the liquor store.  Amazing difference.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Thanks again for the suggestions. She came back with a generous sampling of Surly brews. She also brought back some Crispin, like chignon said, as soon as I saw the label I realized they sell this at Cosentino’s. It is pretty delicious, much better than Woodchuck—but yes, it is definitely not English Dry Cider which I much prefer. Still, it was tasty.
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

Glad you liked it.  I think they have drier variations, but I'm not sure.  Which Surlies did you end up with?  The cynic and coffee bender are my year-round favorites.  Abrasive is awesome too, but I'd be surprised if any of that's still around.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Anybody pickup the Smokestack/Deschuttes collabo?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

midtown wrote: Glad you liked it.  I think they have drier variations, but I'm not sure.  Which Surlies did you end up with?  The cynic and coffee bender are my year-round favorites.  Abrasive is awesome too, but I'd be surprised if any of that's still around.
Picked up: Bender, Coffee Bender, Cynic, and Furious. I haven't had the Coffee Bender or Cynic so I'm glad to hear you like them. I'm pretty excited to give them a try.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chingon wrote: Anybody pickup the Smokestack/Deschuttes collabo?
I picked up 4 bottles. I wanted to get more, but my good sense told me 4 ought to be sufficient.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

chingon wrote: Anybody pickup the Smokestack/Deschuttes collabo?
Had one this weekend, quite tasty!  And I'm not really an IPA nut.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Saw it on tap at The Record Bar.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I was unimpressed. I've seen it on tap at Swagger, Grinders(though I think it's gone from there now), and the Blue Moose(don't ask). I find it to be an uninteresting expensive version of wheat/zon/saison. Unoffending yellow beer with an understated slight hop flavor.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Busch heir to start St. Louis-based brewery
Evan S Benn
St. Louis Post Dispatch
7/18/11

A member of the Busch family may soon lead a St. Louis brewery for the first time since the 2008 InBev takeover of Anheuser-Busch.

William K. "Billy" Busch, 51, said he is close to opening William K. Busch Brewing Co., a brewery that will initially focus on American-style pale lagers, similar to Budweiser and Bud Light.

The goal is to have two lagers available in the St. Louis market by November, with broader, regional distribution after that.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/d ... z1SaU2cUFO
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

warwickland wrote: William K. "Billy" Busch, 51, said he is close to opening William K. Busch Brewing Co., a brewery that will initially focus on American-style pale lagers, similar to Budweiser and Bud Light.
This sounds like more of an attempt to get into a lawsuit over the name than making beer.  Maybe I'm wrong.