Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:29 pm Capping the interstate all the way to Oak makes the EV stadium site so much more attractive.
Why does it help EV?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Dude just pull up a map. Oak St runs right through the east village. It’s where the park is that divides the government district.

It would connect the crossroads, Power and light, and ev in a much better way

Lots of the crossroads bars are right off oak.

If you put it there, you’re looking at it becoming a major street.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:43 am Dude just pull up a map. Oak St runs right through the east village. It’s where the park is that divides the government district.

It would connect the crossroads, Power and light, and ev in a much better way

Lots of the crossroads bars are right off oak.

If you put it there, you’re looking at it becoming a major street.
That goes to the T-Mobile Center. Idk how thats gonna get close to the stadium site in EV but feel free to enlighten me.

Jail Site is what would make perfect sense for it.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Every definition of East Village I have seen places it east of Davis Park or east of the government center. Oak does not run through East Village.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah, I meant through to. Oak gets you right to Davis park. I’ve always thought of Davis park as the divider, but you have government buildings on the east side so some might disagree.

Anyways, semantics. If they could cap all the way to oak that would be great for future development in that area.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Especially in front of the former Star printing press converted into the KC History Museum.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Unless they move the government tenants to different place, rebuild the buildings on those spots...then EV is terrible. There is such terrible streetscape around there that idk how you can get around that.

The entire 2 blocks of Cherry is quite literally a giant blank wall right across the street from the prime entrance into the stadium! Literally start at 12th & Cherry and walk up to 10th. It's the worst streetscape ever. Idk how you can even fix that short just rebuilding like 8 blocks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The Walnut Street Bridge, built back in the early 1960s, will be replaced as part of the Link project and will no longer be
open for vehicular traffic, reducing the number of conflict points
http://portkc.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... ersion.pdf

Freaking knew it!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Sounds like they're shutting down Walnut. Yippee!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:19 pm Sounds like they're shutting down Walnut. Yippee!
Not a fan of course. We already close Grand 3x a week. We're going to be pushing a lot of traffic onto Main where as you may know we're going to be running a streetcar down to the plaza. If they can show me the traffic flow won't be impacted or changed somehow I can get on board but on it's face I don't think this is a good idea.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:24 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:19 pm Sounds like they're shutting down Walnut. Yippee!
Not a fan of course. We already close Grand 3x a week. We're going to be pushing a lot of traffic onto Main where as you may know we're going to be running a streetcar down to the plaza. If they can show me the traffic flow won't be impacted or changed somehow I can get on board but on it's face I don't think this is a good idea.
Isn't Walnut closed every weekend too? And feels practically closed already with 3L construction.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

This is such a terrible idea.

They are going to close walnut for the cap. Close grand half the time for events. And hypothetically close oak to build a baseball stadium? This is going to create lots of problems.

Why wouldn't they just close Main to everything but the street car and make main a ped street from truman to 12th or 13th?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If the baseball stadium goes south of 670, it's going to create a lot of traffic problems not having Walnut as an alternative.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Downtown might finally have the real traffic problems that the JoCo nimby's imaginatively thinks it has currently
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:27 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:24 pm
Isn't Walnut closed every weekend too? And feels practically closed already with 3L construction.
No
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kboish wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:29 pm This is such a terrible idea.

They are going to close walnut for the cap. Close grand half the time for events. And hypothetically close oak to build a baseball stadium? This is going to create lots of problems.

Why wouldn't they just close Main to everything but the street car and make main a ped street from truman to 12th or 13th?
Like I said if they can propose a traffic plan, including closing Main to assist the streetcar, I can be convinced.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I think having Walnut & Main both as through streets in this new capped space would be best. It would break up the park a little and encourage perhaps areas that may have more street level commercial business. Yes it breaks up the "park concept" but I've always envisioned this more than just a green space that needs to be mowed with some bike trails and running paths. This is a real opportunity to create and entire new section of downtown with unique offerings that connects downtown to the Crossroads and really will help promote a more seamless (albeit not perfect) connection from the riverfront, river market, down town, crossroads, and crown center area. I think they should look to keep those roads open and through but make them nice and a chance to impress. Main, Walnut, and Grand from from the Loop Cap down to Crown Center area/cross roads. Make them really grand streets that people want to walk along and traffic will move through. Just my opinion, that I am sure will be crushed, but this cap is an opportunity to reinvent the space and connect pieces of town that have not been connected since 670 went it in. Cars and traffic are a fact and can be incorporated into this smartly and usefully. I am not a fan of closing Walnut.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I like the idea of closing one of the roads so that park goers can have atleast one place to have alot consecutive space- but the road to shut off should've been Baltimore. It would've looked alot better against the giant steps, and that road gets the fewest traffic.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:07 pm
The Walnut Street Bridge, built back in the early 1960s, will be replaced as part of the Link project and will no longer be
open for vehicular traffic, reducing the number of conflict points
http://portkc.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... ersion.pdf

Freaking knew it!
Love it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:00 pm I think having Walnut & Main both as through streets in this new capped space would be best. It would break up the park a little and encourage perhaps areas that may have more street level commercial business. Yes it breaks up the "park concept" but I've always envisioned this more than just a green space that needs to be mowed with some bike trails and running paths. This is a real opportunity to create and entire new section of downtown with unique offerings that connects downtown to the Crossroads and really will help promote a more seamless (albeit not perfect) connection from the riverfront, river market, down town, crossroads, and crown center area. I think they should look to keep those roads open and through but make them nice and a chance to impress. Main, Walnut, and Grand from from the Loop Cap down to Crown Center area/cross roads. Make them really grand streets that people want to walk along and traffic will move through. Just my opinion, that I am sure will be crushed, but this cap is an opportunity to reinvent the space and connect pieces of town that have not been connected since 670 went it in. Cars and traffic are a fact and can be incorporated into this smartly and usefully. I am not a fan of closing Walnut.
I'm strongly opposed to any bike trials in this park. Matter of fact, I'd love for it to not allow bikes, skateboards or scooters of any kind. The should be a park focused on pedestrian experience first and foremost.