NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by KCMax »

Regionalism has little to do with rivalries. It has more to do with who is competitive. The other Kansas City teams have had great rivalries without regionalism (Royals-Yankees in the 70s, Royals-A's in the 70s, Chiefs-Broncos, Chiefs-Raiders).

If the KC NBA or NHL team is good, they'll have a rivalry with the other good teams in their division - regardless of where those teams are.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

nobody could afford Kings tix

Post by Maitre D »

Amazing that anyone with one shred of business acumen would ever think the Kings would move here.  Their metro has the same income stats as KC, same population, with no other pro sports.  And, they sell out every single game, really since they've been there.

Witness THESE tix prices!

http://www.nba.com/kings/tickets/Seatin ... icing.html

[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Its becoming increasingly clear that the NBA cares little for the size of the market, but more for the quality of the arena and the favorable lease the team can get. Its all about money, and the more money the league can ensure for a franchise, the more likely they'll stay or relocate.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: Its becoming increasingly clear that the NBA cares little for the size of the market, but more for the quality of the arena and the favorable lease the team can get. Its all about money, and the more money the league can ensure for a franchise, the more likely they'll stay or relocate.
OK but judging from the tix prices, do you think KC reallllllly can out-do Sacramento?

Seriously, nobody outside of KC would think that.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I would think KC has more corporate support than Sacramento, but I really don't know much about Sacramento. I don't think ticket prices per se matters as much as suites, money from TV revenue and wayas to make money from the arena other than ticket prices. I think the Sprint Center can provide a lot of that, an our larger TV market (and ability to market the team to much of the entire four state region) helps a lot too.

In other words, if Sacramento builds a new arena, absolutely we have no shot at the Kings. But they're not going to stay in Sacramento, even with those ticket prices, with that old arena because it doesn't produce as much revenue as a brand new arena.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: nobody could afford Kings tix

Post by GRID »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: Amazing that anyone with one shred of business acumen would ever think the Kings would move here.  Their metro has the same income stats as KC, same population, with no other pro sports.  And, they sell out every single game, really since they've been there.

Witness THESE tix prices!

http://www.nba.com/kings/tickets/Seatin ... icing.html

I got 10-25 bucks...even the 40 dollar seats would sell well to the general public, the high end stuff down by the court?  Come on, they will be sucked up by corporations faster than any other seats in the house.  The only thing that would make the ticket prices not work is more than five years of horrible records, but you would have several years of high attendance to begin with, after that, it's like most towns...it will depend on the team's draw.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah I'd hate to pay $10 to watch LeBron, Carmelo, or the likes.  There are $125 tickets for the freaking ROYALS that seem to sell alright...and that's 81 games.  No, individuals wouldn't buy them....but to say it wouldn't work is ignorant.

So once again I ask, why do you care if an owner wants to come in and make it work?  You aren't out a thing.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCPowercat wrote: yeah I'd hate to pay $10 to watch LeBron, Carmelo, or the likes.  There are $125 tickets for the freaking ROYALS that seem to sell alright...and that's 81 games.  No, individuals wouldn't buy them....but to say it wouldn't work is ignorant.

So once again I ask, why do you care if an owner wants to come in and make it work?  You aren't out a thing.
hate to agree with ppa, but kc does not have enough of the big corporate business that is willing to come in and purchase 400,000 high priced tickets over the course of an nba season. sorry, not going to happen.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: hate to agree with ppa, but kc does not have enough of the big corporate business that is willing to come in and purchase 400,000 high priced tickets over the course of an nba season. sorry, not going to happen.
And Sacrashithole, CA does? 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

kcdcchef wrote: hate to agree with ppa, but kc does not have enough of the big corporate business that is willing to come in and purchase 400,000 high priced tickets over the course of an nba season. sorry, not going to happen.
Drive through the Plaza and Mission Hills and tell me there isn't enough money in this city to buy up those tickets. There's always enough money....it's a matter of whether corporations and individuals are going to be interested enough to buy them. Hell, Sprint/Nextel could buy up every last ticket in that arena and still be OK. It's greed that keeps corps. from buying tickets....trying to save every last penny and so the CEO can earn an extra 500,000 a year.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

kcmetro wrote: Drive through the Plaza and Mission Hills and tell me there isn't enough money in this city to buy up those tickets. There's always enough money....it's a matter of whether corporations and individuals are going to be interested enough to buy them. Hell, Sprint/Nextel could buy up every last ticket in that arena and still be OK. It's greed that keeps corps. from buying tickets....trying to save every last penny and so the CEO can earn an extra 500,000 a year.
drive through those neighborhoods and see all the $800,000 homes that would sell for 2.8m in so cal, montgomery county in dc, westchester new york, etc.

hell, i could be WAY wrong here, if okc can do it, i guess we can too.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

kcmetro wrote: Drive through the Plaza and Mission Hills and tell me there isn't enough money in this city to buy up those tickets. There's always enough money....it's a matter of whether corporations and individuals are going to be interested enough to buy them. Hell, Sprint/Nextel could buy up every last ticket in that arena and still be OK. It's greed that keeps corps. from buying tickets....trying to save every last penny and so the CEO can earn an extra 500,000 a year.
Yeah, but can they buy all the suites at Sprint, Arrowhead, The K, the PAC, the...

You get the idea.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

From the people who sit around me at arrowhead and the K...I don't think they live in mission hills ;)

chef/ppa may be right but if an owner wants to try it, why would I talk him out of it? 

Chef....if that house does sell for $4M somewhere else, that shows the extra income those people would have, correct??? :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Some details on the Kings proposed arena:

There are already legitimate concerns being voiced by sincere residents opposed to public money being spent on a building where all profits would go to the Kings.
We're not just talking basketball games, either. The Maloof family would get the revenues from all concerts, shows, conventions, tournaments, whatever.
And that's not just concessions but parking and every dime spent at a new downtown arena, and adjoining parking structure, which could cost between $470 million and $542 million.
In addition, the city and county would pay for 70 to 75 percent of the the new arena through a quarter-cent sales tax. And taxpayers would be responsible for all cost overruns on the new arena.
In return, the Maloofs would sign a 30-year lease that would silence the whispers and screams that the Kings will bolt from Sacramento.
They would pay $4-million-a-year rent, or $120 million, over 30 years. And they would pay $20 million up front to the project. They would pay $10-12 million a year to operate the arena.
There are estimates that the Maloof contribution to the new arena will be between 26 and 30 percent, but that math could prove to be fuzzy.
The Maloofs' commitment is spread over 30 years while the quarter-cent sales tax to fund the new arena -- and an an additional half billion dollars for other county-wide projects -- has a proposed life span of 15 years.
In addition, the Maloofs would keep all the proceeds from the sale of the 85 acres they own in Natomas, site of Arco Arena and the Kings' practice facility.
Once they sell that land and demolish Arco Arena -- and sell the naming rights to a new arena -- their financial risk in a new deal will be lessened.
They are taking a financial risk, but the city and county are taking a bigger one.
Does that sound like a good deal to you?

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

From Today's Star:

All those fretting about Kansas City’s chances to attract an NHL or NBA team as an anchor tenant for the Sprint Center need to relax.
It’s too soon to panic. Yes, it looks as if Pittsburgh will retain the Penguins, and Oklahoma City is the future destination of the Seattle SuperSonics, but there will be other franchises looking to move in October 2007.
But you can’t expect an NBA or NHL team, no matter how bad their arena situation is, to start talking about a move in 2007 when there are tickets to sell and a season to play this fall. The Kings, already owned by Sacramento interests, didn’t officially announce plans to move from Kansas City until late January 1985.
Los Angeles-based Anschutz Entertainment Group, which invested $50 million in the Sprint Center and will manage the facility, is well-connected in both leagues and has the ear of each commissioner.
“There are clearly candidates that have not been made public yet,â€

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

We need another Ewing Kauffman in this town.....or Lamar Hunt. Someone new needs to decide the future of sports in this city, besides that tool David Glass. So we need for someone to step up to the challenge like Kauffman and Hunt have done.....and who really cares about sports in this city. I'm sure there has to be some rich guy out there who could afford to bring a team here.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I wish we had as many billionaires as Omaha.

skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

:lol:
KCMax wrote: I wish we had as many billionaires as Omaha.
Are there any rich people in KC that love sports and actually live here full-time?

Where is our Buffet and Turner? 
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

skim82 wrote: Where is our Buffet and Turner? 
In Arkansas & Texas.  :shock:
KC is the way to be!
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Hey has there been any recent news on this? The arena construction is on schedule yet Anschultz still hasn't announced any major tenet or sports team. I don't know about you guys but I'm starting to think we'll get a beautiful arena but no team.