OFFICIAL: Zona Rosa (tenants & phase II)

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Zona Rosa II....

Post by dangerboy »

I'm curious to see some stats from their first year of operation.  I wonder if they will ever release numbers for sales, visitor counts, etc.  I'm also curious what their geographic draw has turned out to be... 

I see lots of Wyandotte and Leavenworth cars there.  I've also heard a surprising number of Jocos comment on how they don't mind driving that far because it's such an interesting shopping destination.  And I know lots of fellow Midtowners go there because even though its further than the Joco strip malls the traffic is a lot less.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Thrillcekr wrote:
I've been noticing that activity there has continued to pick up over the last few months.  It's becoming a pain in the ass to cut across   at almost any time of day now.  Of course, that is a good thing.  It appears that there will be several new stores and restaraunts opening there by mid-spring.  I'm very interested to see what they start in on once the current phase is complete.
Increased activity?  Hah...name names!
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Slappy the Wang wrote: Increased activity?  Hah...name names!
Dude, that joke is getting really old.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

dangerboy wrote: Dude, that joke is getting really old.
It's a lifestyle.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

But it's still funny.  :D
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Agreed.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Build-A-Bear is opening on April 22 with a special appearance the next day by Royals player John Buck from 11:00-12:00.

Kelso's Pizza has also opened in the Food Garden.

Granite City Food and Brewery is signed to join Zona Rosa. This will be their first location in Missouri. They are publicly traded on Nasdaq under GCFB.

Last edited by trailerkid on Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

I drove through ZR on my way back from Saint Joseph today.  The Sharper Image store now has signs, windows in place with a great location in the center, the Majestic Theatre still looks a long way from being complete, Ted Montana Grill looks closer, the Granite City place must be as you enter next to Smokehouse BBQ?

Observation, many shoppers, some with bags, both parks full of kids playing, adults sitting, one with ice cream eaters.

Also, I have observed a demographic trend during all my visits, more men shopping or walking with with their women compared to an enclosed mall which is always mostly women, but women, I would guess, buy more, spend more, without their men.

Any thoughts?
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

I see the TMobile and Ethan Allen stores are about ready to open too.  I've been wondering when work will begin on that O'Dowds.  The sign on the front of the site it's supposed to open in says Spring 2005.  Spring will be over soon and they haven't even gotten started.  I can't wait for them to get all of those places open simply because I'm very curious as to what they plan to start on next.  There is still plenty of open land there and I have no doubt that they plan to use every square inch of it.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Thrillcekr wrote: I see the TMobile and Ethan Allen stores are about ready to open too.  I've been wondering when work will begin on that O'Dowds.  The sign on the front of the site it's supposed to open in says Spring 2005.  Spring will be over soon and they haven't even gotten started.  I can't wait for them to get all of those places open simply because I'm very curious as to what they plan to start on next.  There is still plenty of open land there and I have no doubt that they plan to use every square inch of it.
This Summer they will begin work on Phase II which is directly to the north of the Majestic Theater and Rib Crib buildings/Rush Creek. From the site plan, it is retail-based and looks to be about 1/4 the square footage of the existing main district. It's supposed to include a large department store. My suggestion is to include more functional shops in the second phase like Trader Joe's and World Market or even some more home furnishings stores like Bombay or Restoration Hardware.

I'm interested as to what is supposed to go in on that pad across from B&N and next to Dick's.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

We need a new Zona Rosa photo thread now that it is in a more complete phase.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

DeadManWalking wrote: We need a new Zona Rosa photo thread now that it is in a more complete phase.
Buy me a digital camera Dead.  I'll be happy to keep you updated.  :lol:

P.S.  Thanks for that update TK.  I've been wondering about that.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

According to Joyce Smith, Bo Lings is taking over the Flat Wok space in Zona Rosa.  Good to see another local name at Zona, especially one that's finally expanding beyond the Plaza/Joco market.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

nota wrote: From my life in retail: Men hate shopping with women. In enclosed malls, they usually find a bench out in the mall where they can sit and watch the women go by. In a sidewalk mall, it isn't so easy because they are much closer and they are afraid the women they are gawking at might come by and knock their eyes off with a stick.
i love to go to malls to people-watch, but not really because of the women.  malls are just hilarious hodge-podges of people.  very rarely are there any women that i enjoy gawking at in shopping malls.  not my style.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

dangerboy wrote: According to Joyce Smith, Bo Lings is taking over the Flat Wok space in Zona Rosa.  Good to see another local name at Zona, especially one that's finally expanding beyond the Plaza/Joco market.
I saw that too.  What is Bo Lings?  Is it regular Chinese or buffet style?  Have you ever ate there?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Thrillcekr wrote: I saw that too.  What is Bo Lings?  Is it regular Chinese or buffet style?  Have you ever ate there?
It's a fairly well-known local chain.  There is one on the Plaza in the Board of Trade building and a few others in Joco. 
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

There was a really nice article about Zona Rosa  in the Northland Neighborhood section of the Star today. Opinions of the residents in Thistle Hill among others. They pretty much think ZR is a good neighbor after all their fuss.

I couldn't find a link to it. Maybe it will turn up tomorrow.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

A nice view of ZR is from the top of the exit ramp off 152 onto I29 southbound. It is really building taller.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

I noticed that when I flew into KC for mothers day.  Looked like a very different place from when I last visited ZR over Christmas, but I didn't have time to venture in.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I guess it is because you are up kind of above it and look down into it. A fleeting glimpse for sure, but nice.