P&L District: 12th & Main Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: P&L District: 12th & Main Site Proposal

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KansasCityCraka wrote: Well, the garage is suppose to be going in underground on the left side of the picture, with the residential going ontop of that. They have started digging out that corner so it should move pretty fast.
I think the garage is going in above ground on this block unless something has changed?  
lock&load wrote: Hopefully some actual construction will start soon. They are going to have to bust some ass to get anything open by Fall, the way things look now.
I would put money on the only part opening in the fall being the H&R section
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I thought they axed the garage for this block and put it at 13th & walnut? 

No way this block is done but 13th & Main will be and maybe 14th & main....13th & Walnut will be well underway.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Here is the latest rendering from P&L Living.  To me it suggests above ground parking.

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

It looks like Walnut could end up being pretty worthless.  Big parking structures on each side of the street north of 13th, and the inwardly focused block south of 13th on the east and the Rep on the west. 
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

KCN wrote: Here is the latest rendering from P&L Living.  To me it suggests above ground parking.

It looks like the whole site has completely diffrent designs. Is there a new layout of the site? I can't read what all of those say.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

lock&load wrote: It looks like Walnut could end up being pretty worthless.  Big parking structures on each side of the street north of 13th, and the inwardly focused block south of 13th on the east and the Rep on the west. 

That plan doesn't show ground level . . . since it doesn't show the supermarket, maybe it isn't showing retail space underneath the parking garage on Walnut.

One can hope.

And, is the KC Live block (or whatever its called today) supposed to be entirely inwardly focused, with no building entrances at all on the Walnut street sides?  I was imagining that along the outside of this block, you would have the typical building fronts with the main entrances, but then all the buildings would have a second entrance to the central courtyard.  It seems that businesses would want direct exposure and access to the street, because the central courtyard would really only be active when there is some sort of event going on. 
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

Although it just occurred to me . . . a supermarket would probably want parking on the same level.  Otherwise you have to figure out how to get your shopping cart up to your car.  I mean, I suppose you could just push it up the ramp, or maybe they can use those big escalators that you can fit a shopping cart on. 
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

Long wrote: Although it just occurred to me . . . a supermarket would probably want parking on the same level.  Otherwise you have to figure out how to get your shopping cart up to your car.  I mean, I suppose you could just push it up the ramp, or maybe they can use those big escalators that you can fit a shopping cart on. 
There's actually a really cool method for putting carts on an escalator system to move them up or down levels.  The Target here in Buckhead (Atlanta) has a system like that so that people on any of the levels of the parking garage can take a cart to right to their car...
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

KCN

Where did you get that pic for phase 1 of the Cordish development ? Looks cool is there a site I can go ?
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

Where did you get that pic for phase 1 of the Cordish development ? Looks cool is there a site I can go ?
http://www.powerandlightliving.com/
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

BVC wrote: There's actually a really cool method for putting carts on an escalator system to move them up or down levels.  The Target here in Buckhead (Atlanta) has a system like that so that people on any of the levels of the parking garage can take a cart to right to their car...
I was thinking of Target when I said that . . . seems like there is a multi-level Target somewhere that uses those escalators to connect floors inside the store.

Really though, when you stop and think about how far you push your shopping cart around inside a grocery store, pushing it up a couple levels of parking ramp isn't much of a stretch.  Most people aren't going to stop and think about that though. 
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Long wrote: Really though, when you stop and think about how far you push your shopping cart around inside a grocery store, pushing it up a couple levels of parking ramp isn't much of a stretch.  Most people aren't going to stop and think about that though. 
It's the down part I would be worried about.  Don't let gooooooo!
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Long wrote: Although it just occurred to me . . . a supermarket would probably want parking on the same level.  Otherwise you have to figure out how to get your shopping cart up to your car.  I mean, I suppose you could just push it up the ramp, or maybe they can use those big escalators that you can fit a shopping cart on. 
I pray that the grocery store is thinking in terms of being an urban downtown grocer...hence the auto is only part of the equation...

i live in southmoreland and don't drive a car to the store..

i would expect on street parking to be satisfactory for a downtown urban grocer...maybe a small area of a ground level parking garage....but eh.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Update photo

ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

now that's what i call wide angle!  Thanks
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

Wow . . . a 10mm lens.  Nice. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

There has been some talk in other threads about the proposed condo tower on this block. As the W brand has been floated around I think it's important to look at P+L's sister development in Dallas-- Victory.

For those not aware, Victory is a mixed use development in Dallas that complements AA Center in a comparable way as P+L in KC. In the pipeline for Victory is a complex called W Residences Victory. It is a 33-story tower that includes a W residential component and a W hotel. They have already sold out the residences and are planning a 15-story second phase. Here is a rendering:

If W Hotel gets involved with Cordish as speculated, I don't think it is out of the realm of possiblity for them to build something similar to W Victory here in KC. Remember that the Cordish location is in a more dense and urban area here than the location Dallas (I believe Victory was some sort of contaminated piece of vacant land before AA Center went there).

W brings a credibility to the table in terms of the urban residential market that no one can touch in KC. It's basically like buying into a brand of urbanism that is sleek and highly contemporary. They would probably be able to attract many people to downtown who may have been on the fence or never considered it before. If Cordish paired its residential component with W Hotels-- no doubt it would be just as successful as the Victory proposal.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

you know, that would likely be wildley successful here.  It certainly fits in with what is planned for that block anyway.  A building like that downtown would be a really dramatic change!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

tat2kc wrote: you know, that would likely be wildley successful here.  It certainly fits in with what is planned for that block anyway.  A building like that downtown would be a really dramatic change!
I hope Cordish is thinking big. I'm encouraged because W doesn't mess around with low level projects. I know in my gut that a W residential/hotel would be just as successful here as in Dallas. Nothing against Louisville, but Cordish needs to treat KC and the P+L development as a large market development such as Dallas or what they did in Baltimore (i.e. no Claire's, Fashion Bug or Rocky Mountain Chocolate). We need the "wow factor"...a W tower would one big component of that.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

this shot in particular reminds me of the vibe the P+L district might one day have:

KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.