2012 - 2013 SEC football

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 2012 - 2013 SEC football

Post by AllThingsKC »

The 2013 SEC schedule is out.

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Is the TBA/Open situation in case KU decides to play MU again, or has that ship sailed from MU's perspective as well? The 11/16 date sounds like the only one that would come close to the old rivalry intensity. The conference implications are removed, but it is still late enough in the season to potentially have something on the line.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

bobbyhawks wrote:Is the TBA/Open situation in case KU decides to play MU again, or has that ship sailed from MU's perspective as well? The 11/16 date sounds like the only one that would come close to the old rivalry intensity.
From MU's perspective, I don't think that ship has sailed. I'm sure they are still interested in playing KU. But, MU left on a short notice, so KU may still have agreements with other non-con teams that would prevent them from playing MU, even if they wanted to. Also, KU is still waiting on the Big 12 schedule.

So, even if both MU and KU wanted to play each other again, they probably won't be able to get around scheduling conflicts for a while.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:Is the TBA/Open situation in case KU decides to play MU again, or has that ship sailed from MU's perspective as well? The 11/16 date sounds like the only one that would come close to the old rivalry intensity.
From MU's perspective, I don't think that ship has sailed. I'm sure they are still interested in playing KU. But, MU left on a short notice, so KU may still have agreements with other non-con teams that would prevent them from playing MU, even if they wanted to. Also, KU is still waiting on the Big 12 schedule.

So, even if both MU and KU wanted to play each other again, they probably won't be able to get around scheduling conflicts for a while.
KU will always be Mizzou's premier rival and vice versa regardless of what conference they are in. Obviously, the absence of a contest in coming years is a hiatus rather than something permenant - and hopefully will be resumed sooner than later. Nonetheless, Mizzou and KU are not football powers - it's the basketball series that people are far more interested in. A game this year would be great to watch and you can bet the NCAA will place Mizzou in the same regional as KU this year.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Highlander wrote: KU will always be Mizzou's premier rival and vice versa regardless of what conference they are in. Obviously, the absence of a contest in coming years is a hiatus rather than something permenant - and hopefully will be resumed sooner than later. Nonetheless, Mizzou and KU are not football powers - it's the basketball series that people are far more interested in. A game this year would be great to watch and you can bet the NCAA will place Mizzou in the same regional as KU this year.
I completely agree.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

All of KU's non-conference games are spoken for through 2014. (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/31/37 ... rence.html)

I really don't get why the SEC does an 8 game conference schedule. It seems like having another conference game would bring in more money for everyone involved.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

longviewmo wrote:All of KU's non-conference games are spoken for through 2014. (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/31/37 ... rence.html)

I really don't get why the SEC does an 8 game conference schedule. It seems like having another conference game would bring in more money for everyone involved.
My guess is that it diminishes the possibility of having someone (if not two teams) in the SEC play for the title. People have claimed before that the SEC in general does not schedule tough games out of conference. If they add a conference game, it removes the potential for an extra namby pamby game for every team. Most schools probably have a home game scheduled in that place without a required return, and most schools probably sell-out the stadium for those games.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

longviewmo wrote:All of KU's non-conference games are spoken for through 2014. (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/31/37 ... rence.html)

My guess is that it diminishes the possibility of having someone (if not two teams) in the SEC play for the title. People have claimed before that the SEC in general does not schedule tough games out of conference. If they add a conference game, it removes the potential for an extra namby pamby game for every team. Most schools probably have a home game scheduled in that place without a required return, and most schools probably sell-out the stadium for those games.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

bobbyhawks wrote:

There has to be a way to maintain the illusion of being the best conference in college sports. When they do play tough games out of conference, the myth of their invincibility starts to crumble (like Boise State crushing Georgia last season in Atlanta).
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

bobbyhawks wrote:

Yeah, I figured something along those lines. Do four lower FBS or FCS games a year and you're already two-thirds of the way to a bowl game. Quality non-cons still seem like they'd bring in a lot of money. See K-State vs. Miami. I think I paid something like $25-30 for North Texas tickets, and the same tickets for Miami were going for $75. I could see someone like Oregon, LSU, or Alabama bringing $100 (or more) a pop around here.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Actually, I think it is because Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina play significant in state rivals out of conference and a nine game conference would only leave two more games to schedule at home. But the end result is the same- Big XII has nine bowl caliber teams, but it will be extremely difficult for them all to get to six wins because they play each other. The nine bowl quality teams in the SEC will easily get there in part because they can schedule one more cupcake, leading to only needed two wins in conference.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Nice win by KSU tonight against WVU. I'd like to see them position themselves for the NC game. They'll have to go undefeated and beat OU a second time but they've got a better chance of beating Alabama or Florida than any Pac 10 team.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Highlander wrote:Nice win by KSU tonight against WVU. I'd like to see them position themselves for the NC game. They'll have to go undefeated and beat OU a second time but they've got a better chance of beating Alabama or Florida than any Pac 10 team.
A second time? The Big 12 doesn't have a championship game anymore.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kcmetro wrote:
Highlander wrote:Nice win by KSU tonight against WVU. I'd like to see them position themselves for the NC game. They'll have to go undefeated and beat OU a second time but they've got a better chance of beating Alabama or Florida than any Pac 10 team.
A second time? The Big 12 doesn't have a championship game anymore.
Yep. I forgot they dropped it. That's great for KSU because OU is looking tough currently.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

If OU can beat ND next week, it will boost K States BCS ranking.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Mizzou cracks down after audit
Department spokesman Chad Moller said Tuesday that director of video operations Michael Schumacher had repaid $7,605.50 for two credit charges from a May 5, 2011, visit to Olympic Garden. One of the charges included a $2,000 tip on a $4,400 bill at a nightclub billed as the "only Vegas strip club on the Strip."
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Nice effort by Mizzou at Florida today - but - OMG the present day SEC has to be the most overrated conference in football history. Take away some horribly inaccurate throws by Franklin and Missouri wins easily on the road moving the ball with relative ease on the vaunted Florida defense. Florida would be lucky to beat ISU or even Texas much less OU or KSU and it's arguably the second best team in the SEC. What a joke. Look at Tennessee today against mighty Troy, they've already given up 40 pts at home and Arkansas is struggling with Tulsa. A&M was a mid level at best Big XII team and they are doing better than fine. Alabama may be legit but the rest of the conference is pretty suspect.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Highlander wrote:Nice effort by Mizzou at Florida today - but - OMG the present day SEC has to be the most overrated conference in football history.
Looking at things through very narrow vision. Matching up the top six SEC teams playing against the top six Big12 or Big10 teams and still put my money on the SEC teams winning out.

Florida has struggled it's last two games but Missouri also played better yesterday despite major QB issues. Arkansas is NOT one of the top six SEC teams this year.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCtonic wrote:
Highlander wrote:Nice effort by Mizzou at Florida today - but - OMG the present day SEC has to be the most overrated conference in football history.
Looking at things through very narrow vision. Matching up the top six SEC teams playing against the top six Big12 or Big10 teams and still put my money on the SEC teams winning out.

Florida has struggled it's last two games but Missouri also played better yesterday despite major QB issues. Arkansas is NOT one of the top six SEC teams this year.
How would you know as the SEC top teams rarely take on good teams from out of their conference. Last year, the SEC runner up Georgia was beaten pretty solidly on their own turf by Boise State.