P&L Famous Daves being Converted to Old Chicago Pizza

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: P&L Famous Daves being Converted to Old Chicago Pizza

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't believe so, don't remember him saying anything but I don't keep dossiers on users.

Md gets that rude comment based on the way he treats other users, telling them their opinions aren't valid/important on other topics. strangely, you've never called him out on those...odd.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

One problem is that some people consider "Midtown" Broadway and Main. Not East or West of there.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: Md gets that rude comment based on the way he treats other users, telling them their opinions aren't valid/important on other topics.

"run back to the sports room, you're kinda out of your knowledge base here." - you
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That was the rude comment I was referring too...you are disrespectful to others so you get the same treatment when you are out of your league as in this topic.  Your knowledge of downtown is the culmination of a handful of sprint center events.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

2 great posts.
rxlexi wrote:   this thread is getting way off topic....but, I just have to chime in, re: better connecting the RCP.  We've obviously made huge strides DT in the past few years, the plaza area remains an iconic urban place, and patches of midtown are slowly improving (esp. Westport, 39th/Volker, Hyde Park) - and all of this just reemphasizes how freaking badly we need an awesome, highly visible fixed-route transit system to connect these areas, physically, economically and psychologically.

We're blessed with such a linear, relatively intact urban core that could be so surprisingly accessible and connected with even one such transit alignment running with high frequency.  Each of our urban districts is already strung along a north-south axis perfectly (even WP/39th isn't a long walk from Main), and as DT keeps gaining momentum midtown will be the final chunk of this linear core to come around, if we can use it to connect our already successful nodes. 

So many other cities have to deal with major freeway, railroad, industrial or just plain sketchy blight disrupting the core of their cities from a pedestrian perspective, but all we have to do is throw down a nice fixed line to connect DT and the Plaza and clean up midtown (i.e. pump up prop. values + zoning, by far the bigger job) and we have a consistent, walkable, and relatively safe chunk of city that stretches for miles...something many other cities our size will never be able to match.  I wish the need for such a connection was as obvious to our leadership as it is to most of us on the forum...

chrizow wrote: oh, no.  i was just responding to Lenexa's comment re: the seemingly pervasive notion that midtown is some kind of slum.  before, most suburbanites only regarded the plaza as "legit."  increasingly, downtown (the p+l) is "legit," leaving the two "islands" that some are talking about.  it is absolutely true - there are people out there who think Union Hill or Hyde Park is Compton or something.  i was just saying that the more time one spends in these "forboding" areas of midtown, the more one realizes they are fine - fine meaning "safe enough, certainly not ghetto."  aesthetically, many stretches of the main thoroughfares in midtown are a nightmare* but i dont think the wide streets and drive-thrus is what scares Jane JoCo - it's the perception that it's dangerous.  midtown can be a be heavy, but the perception far exceeds the reality. 

that's all i was saying.

* that said, much of midtown consists of some of the most attractive, urban living in the metro area.  it is hard to beat our original housing stock.  Main st might look like a crackhead Noland Rd., but the neighborhoods surrounding these areas are very attractive, particularly the blocks that have not been decimated for 1970s garden apartment complexes.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCPowercat wrote: Your knowledge of downtown is the culmination of a handful of sprint center events.
To his credit, he has also witnessed several racially and religiously motivated hate crimes in the Live! Block.  That's gotta count for something. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC-wildcat wrote: To his credit, he has also witnessed several racially and religiously motivated hate crimes in the Live! Block.  That's gotta count for something. 
And spent countless hours wandering around trying to find a restaurant he can walk into without a reservation during prime time weekend/event nights. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KC-wildcat wrote: To his credit, he has also witnessed several racially and religiously motivated hate crimes in the Live! Block.  That's gotta count for something. 
You're one weird dude.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Maitre D wrote: You're one weird dude.
Good call.  How was that rascal flatt's concert?
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

It was a lot of fun!

nurseparker2b
Surface Lot

Post by nurseparker2b »

I also think this is great news... I make my own calzone with chicken, mozzarella cheese, mushrooms and ricotta cheese.... it's to die for!
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

are you sure you're in the right thread, nurse?
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

No mention of this in almost 2 weeks. can we all assume it's dead now?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

ColumbusParkian wrote: No mention of this in almost 2 weeks. can we all assume it's dead now?
Yes. Famous Dave's is reopening. Read about it here:

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=15510.0
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/1028313.html about Famous Daves and J. A. Banks.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

trailerkid wrote:Flying Saucer and Gordon Biersch already have the market cornered for this type of thing and Old Chicago across the street is pretty much offering more duplication. If I were Cordish I'd fight this move...
ComandanteCero wrote: yeah, it seems like a bad move to try to cannibalize business in your own district.  I'm guessing the franchisee has that "retail cannibal" mentality (i.e obviously "x" is successful, i need to get a slice of that pie even if I"m diminishing everyone's slice in the process).  Of course, Cordish will certainly have something to say if they think this is so.  Sounds like the franchisee isn't very creative....
from the article:
Cutchall’s take: “Suffice it to say that Cordish felt after further review the Old Chicago concept would compete too much with other business in the Kansas City Live venue across the street.”

One catch could have been Old Chicago’s concept was too similar to other Power & Light venues such as Flying Saucer Draught Emporium. Both offer a wide variety of beers. Also, the location at 131 E. 14th St. is part of the district’s restaurant row with Bristol Seafood Grill, Peachtree Restaurant, Ted’s Montana Grill and others.

It’s been an expensive lesson for Cutchall, who said he invested more than $25,000 in the Old Chicago plans, plus remodeling, keeping managers on payroll and other costs.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

This just makes me laugh and laugh and laugh. That's what the owner gets for thinking he can force his will by going to the press prematurely.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

So I was right that Cordish didn't want Old Chicago competing with GB and the Saucer.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

ColumbusParkian wrote: This just makes me laugh and laugh and laugh. That's what the owner gets for thinking he can force his will by going to the press prematurely.
Who are you, mysterious poster?!  What else can you share with us???  8)
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

ColumbusParkian wrote: This just makes me laugh and laugh and laugh. That's what the owner gets for thinking he can force his will by going to the press prematurely.
I don't think it was that calculated.  It seems to have been either stupidity, or arrogance.