hyde park: believe the hype?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: hyde park: believe the hype?

Post by voltopt »

I'd venture that Troost and Hyde Park are inextricably linked.  The entire EAST side of all parts of Hyde Park includes the western side of Troost Ave. 

Troost is not beyond repair, and Hyde Park's fate is tied to Troost's fate, at least in Midtown.

***EDIT to add the hastily forgotten word "EAST"****
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

It seems like the key is for there to eventually be substantial property value increases for some of the more stable and already gentrified sections of midtown.  If some of these areas - which rightfully ought to be high demand could get to the point where they actually got a bit pricey, more folks would likely start looking at gentrifying the more marginal suroundings.  As long as you can still buy nice old three story houses in good shape on stable blocks for $150-200k there won't be much incentive for people to spread the gentrification. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: It seems like the key is for there to eventually be substantial property value increases for some of the more stable and already gentrified sections of midtown.  If some of these areas - which rightfully ought to be high demand could get to the point where they actually got a bit pricey, more folks would likely start looking at gentrifying the more marginal suroundings.  As long as you can still buy nice old three story houses in good shape on stable blocks for $150-200k there won't be much incentive for people to spread the gentrification. 
Before the recession this had already started happening.  People that had become priced out of Brookside had started going east of Troost to get the BKS bungalow at a much lower price.  Although this was in the 50s and 60s, not in the 30s or 40s where Hyde Park is located.

But it's still a valid point.  KC still has huge swathes of housing stock left in gentrifying neighborhoods that need to be used up before redevelopment naturally spreads into new neighborhoods.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

you can get a solid fixer-upper in south and north hyde park for like $50,000.  you can also get fully rehabbed homes for $250,000.  most homes it seems are in between - semi-rehabbed, nice houses in the 100-150K range. 

SHP is pretty block-by-block.  holmes and kenwood have smaller homes and some are in pretty bad shape.  harrison, the street closest to troost, probably is the most intact and has the largest homes.  charlotte is a bit spotty, as is campbell, and both have a mix of smaller and larger homes.  some are immaculate, some are pretty bad, most are decent. 

it has been said to me more than once that SHP is the most spotty/ghetto of NHP, CHP, and SHP.  i completely disagree.  i've spent some time driving around more in NHP, and it seems by far to be the worst of the three imo.  some of the finest homes in all of HP are up there for sure, and there are some big ones, but there is some shit up there that looks just awfully ghetto.  once again, campbell and harrison are probably the best.  up by linwood it feels downright dicey.  SHP is enormous though, so i'm sure it varies widely.  my little pocket of SHP seems as stable and friendly as anywhere in brookside.  the closer you get to some of the shady apartment buildings, though, the more risk you have i think. 
nkarl
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by nkarl »

Glad I found this thread.

I've been interested in Hyde Park for quite some time, especially Hyde Park Central. I really like the older homes and the "feel" of the neighborhood in general. However, the people I've talked to who have either previously lived in Hyde Park or know someone who lives in Hyde Park indicate that crime is a major problem (carjackings, armed robbery, etc). This thread seems to confirm this, although it looks like most Hyde Parkers are content living there in spite of the crime.

Also, it seems like there is quite a variety in terms of pricing between the different areas of Hyde Park, which I'm not sure how to interpret. I've done some online searching and have found what appear to be several good deals in the area, although they all need major renovations. My question to those familiar with Hyde Park is whether or not sellers get a good return on their money.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

nkarl wrote: I've been interested in Hyde Park for quite some time, especially Hyde Park Central. I really like the older homes and the "feel" of the neighborhood in general. However, the people I've talked to who have either previously lived in Hyde Park or know someone who lives in Hyde Park indicate that crime is a major problem (carjackings, armed robbery, etc). This thread seems to confirm this, although it looks like most Hyde Parkers are content living there in spite of the crime.
HP is not a hotspot for carjackings, armed robberies, etc.  Period.*  to the extent any of these things occur in hyde park, they do not occur with any greater frequency than in comparable parts of midtown - and there is probably less crime in HP than in areas near Main, warwick north of 39th, etc.  car break-ins are very common though, and i dont know if there is more of it over here than elsewhere or not.  simply put: if you feel comfortable living in midtown generally, you should feel comfortable living in hyde park.

* if you live in or directly adjacent to one of the apartment buildings on armour between gillham and troost, this may not apply. 
nkarl wrote: Also, it seems like there is quite a variety in terms of pricing between the different areas of Hyde Park, which I'm not sure how to interpret. I've done some online searching and have found what appear to be several good deals in the area, although they all need major renovations. My question to those familiar with Hyde Park is whether or not sellers get a good return on their money.
central hyde park is its own thing because so many of the houses are huge and have been beautifully restored/rehabbed.  CHP has more in common with the valentine, coleman highlands, and rockhill neighborhoods in this regard.  NHP and SHP have a pretty wide range, it seems:  bank-owned "fixer uppers" for $60K, house-flipper specials with base-level home depot finishes for $130K, quality restoration jobs of 3-story homes for $150-200K.  as a homeowner in SHP, i honestly didn't buy my house with much expectation of any sort of "return" on my money.  i hope the value doesn't go down, of course, but real estate anywhere in midtown KC is not exactly like sitting on a lottery ticket.  if you can do a lot of labor yourself, i imagine you could make good coin on a rehab job.  that said, someone more in tune with the real estate market would have to comment on whether sellers make any money - though i can pretty much guarantee you wouldn't make money in the short-term. 

for what it's worth, the previous owner of my house paid $120K for the house six years ago and put a reported $30K (according to him) and many hours of labor into restoration/paint/landscaping/etc.  i got it in 2008 for ~160K.  it probably requires about $10K in work and upgrades to make it pretty kickass, and i bet i could get over $170K for it at that point.

i bought in midtown b/c i love it though.  if you want appreciation near the urban core, fix up a house on the westside or in a shabbier corner of brookside.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Does Hyde Park still have a neighborhood crime patrol?
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

I don't believe there is a "patrol" that rides around on the streets, but there is a crime committee that meets monthly with police officers. It is open to whomever wants to attend. Some people attend every month, and others come less frequently or just once or twice.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

there is not a neighborhood crime patrol.  we do, however, have "proactive" KCPD officers which are specifically assigned to HP and basically patrol it from 7-3:30 or something five days a week.  unfortunately, recent budget issues caused the PD to expand the officers' range to encompass the ivanhoe neighborhood as well, which i am sure keeps them pretty occupied.  thus, right now there is somewhat of a dearth of patrols in the area, though as ever citizens of HP are able/encouraged to call the proactive officers on the phone or email them if they see anything weird and the officers are there quickly. 

the proactive officers are great - they get to know the neighborhood folks, good and bad.  they know who doesn't "belong" where and can act accordingly.  i hope the PD can move our officers back into HP full-time.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

When did the crime patrol cease?  When I owned a home on Harrison Blvd in the late '80's we had it going every night.  I called in quite a few incidents.  It seemed the volunteer patrol helped a lot.
Proactive officers?  I remember painfully one crime meeting we had at St James and the officer used the holy water font as an ashtray---everyone christian and non was aghast with shock.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

moderne wrote: When did the crime patrol cease?  When I owned a home on Harrison Blvd in the late '80's we had it going every night. 
Not sure. We moved in in '01, and it wasn't going then.  I know that there is contingent of the committee that would do patrols on an as needed infrequent basis when there were certain recurring problems.

In the last several years I've been going to the meetings, the officers have seemed very sensitive. I don't know if being a proactive officer is a sought after assignment, but they are some of the better cops I've worked with. They have been consistently good, while I've had mixed experiences with KCPD overall.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/neighbor ... 42112.html

"Hyde Park continues a hoppy tradition" - a nice article about the Easter festivities in Hyde Park. There was also a photo on the cover of the Neighborhood section.

There were a lot of families, and I know at least a few were from outside the immediate area. This was the second year we went, and my daughter LOVED it, as usual.  My only disappointments were the weather and that they're no longer using old school Polaroids for the Easter Bunny pictures.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

MidtownGrrl wrote: "Hyde Park continues a hoppy tradition"
I first thought this was going to be a beer festival.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

Ha! That would be good too.  I think the Homes Tour included a beer tent last time, but that's as close to a beer festival that I have heard.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Does anyone know anything about the apartment buildings near 43rd and Gillham/Kenwood?  There are four or five of them right there, older brick buildings with some green and beige trim.  They are owned and operated by Regency Enterprises Inc., a company that owns quite several residental and commercial properties around town, including the Vanderbilt Place apartments at 605-607 E 42nd and a building at 4246 - 4254 Troost  http://www.re-prop.com/page3.html.  There is a manager-type person who lives on site and makes any needed repairs, etc.

Here is a Google Street View of the buildings:  http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 66.77,,0,5

Apartment listing:  http://kc.backpage.com/ApartmentsForRen ... oid=990805

I am asking because a close friend of mine is considering moving into an apartment here.  Naturally, I have been advocating that she move to Hyde Park, but as a single female living alone who is new to KC, she just wants to make sure that the places are relatively safe.
Last edited by chrizow on Tue May 12, 2009 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i noticed today that crews are working in gillham park, specifically the portion that runs from 42nd-brush creek blvd.  one crew appeared to be cutting down a huge nasty-looking tree, but i also saw that workers have basically removed the grass alongside the walking path and are sort of smoothing out the dirt.  does anyone know if this is to widen/improve the walkway?  or is it something boring like "infrastructure" under the park?
Last edited by chrizow on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

There is a good article (surprise!) in this week's pitch about park maintainance and various local activists who have improved their neighborhood park.  Gillham Park is sort of the posterchild for this type of community involvement.  I believe they are planning on making the walking paths out of the same material as Loose Park's - the Ward Family foundation is donating money to the installation and upkeep of parts of Gillham Park, since it has improved so much due to community activism over the past 4 years.

http://www.pitch.com/2009-07-23/news/it ... red-helps/
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

wow, that's a great article!  gillham park is a shining example of how community activism and involvement can have tangible results for an entire neighborhood. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

That article is a great primer on how to deal with the city on any kind of community issue.  You can't just complain about not having something. You need to have some initiative and commitment to lobby for what you want and keep at it until it happens.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

crews are still hard at work in gillham park.  it doesn't seem like they are adding the soft surface to the paths though.  they have re-paved the existing paths, and i guess are still working on expanding them.  aren't the paths at loose park sort of bouncy like a good running track? 

i've heard anecdotally that crime has palpably increased in hyde park, and i think this is clear in the Armour Blvd area.  any info regarding other parts of the neighborhood?