wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by trailerkid »

KC-wildcat wrote: Good urban development shouldn't be an "either-or" proposition.  At least not in a midwestern city.  IMO, Good urban development in a midwestern city blends the two concepts into a cohesive, mutually beneficial plan.  

I prefer to be a realist when I approach these issues.  The reality is that cars are necessary in the Midwest in 2010.  For a small minority, this isn't the case.  But, for the vast majority, the automobile is necessary in every day life.  

So, I think the key is to focus on ways to accomodate automobile traffic while AT THE SAME TIME, not hampering pedestrian traffic (i.e. walkability).  Personally, I don't think the concepts are mutually exclusive.        
:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Congrats...WORST. POST. EVER.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

trailerkid wrote:
Congrats...WORST. POST. EVER.
It's reality, brah.  I didn't make the rules.  I do my part to live a pedestrian-friendly lifestyle.  I live DT.  I work DT.  I do as much shopping DT as I possibly can.  

But, I need a car.  If I want to visit my family in Lenexa, I can't take a bus there.  If work takes me up to Platte County on short notice, I can't take a bus.  If I want to go to a Royals game after work on a Wednesday, I can't take a bus.    
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

even if we accept that driving is "reality" for most people in KC, that doesn't mean that development needs to privilege the car over people.  people can have their "necessary" pull-up parking spaces behind sidewalk-facing architecture.  to me, that's really the only "balance" that can really take place.  let's shoehorn in, and hide, the parking, not the people. 
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

to me, that's really the only "balance" that can really take place.  let's shoehorn in, and hide, the parking, not the people.  
 YES.

I do however agree with KC wildcat - in KC, and LITERALLY EVERY CITY IN AMERICA outside of NYC, 90% + of the metro population drives, and will for the foreseeable future.  Can we PLEASE take a visionary look at transit (FREE in small metros), raise the gas tax 5x, make it more difficult/expensive to get drivers license etc?  We could and should but aren't right now, and the vast majority of people will STILL drive given these disincentives.

The ideal future city, structurally, would look something like the plaza IMO.  Dense mixed use districts with well-designed parking and sidewalks, capable of elegantly and easily accomodating large numbers of people and autos comfortably - with much better transit access being the one missing piece of the transportation puzzle there.  It is certainly possible, though expensive, to design places that function well for people and accomodate cars reasonably well, which is unfortunately necessary in this country.  
Last edited by rxlexi on Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
are we spinning free?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

wow sorry way off topic.  re: 39th street, is anyone else still kicking themselves over the city's awkward failure to incentivize apts on the former Hannah bistro corner at 39th and State Line? 

w39th has so much going for it and could really use the added energy that n/c residential would provide, especially towards the western end, bridging the gap over to Rainbow/Med Center.
are we spinning free?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

rxlexi wrote:   wow sorry way off topic.  re: 39th street, is anyone else still kicking themselves over the city's awkward failure to incentivize apts on the former Hannah bistro corner at 39th and State Line? 
Every time I am there I sigh at the missed opportunity.

That was my first key indicator of the impact of Funk's views on developers and development..
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

rxlexi wrote:   wow sorry way off topic.  re: 39th street, is anyone else still kicking themselves over the city's awkward failure to incentivize apts on the former Hannah bistro corner at 39th and State Line? 
Thank you funky.....that may have been one of your first failures as Mayor.  Again, let's say it together: Funky = WORST MAYOR IN KC HISTORY!
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

rxlexi wrote:
The ideal future city, structurally, would look something like the plaza IMO.  Dense mixed use districts with well-designed parking and sidewalks, capable of elegantly and easily accomdating large numbers of people and autos comfortably - with much better transit access being the one missing piece of the transportation puzzle there.  It is certainly possible, though expensive, to design places that function well for people and accomodate cars reasonably well, which is unfortunately necessary in this country. 
Excellent reference.  The Plaza is a perfect modern example of blending people and autos into a cohesive, mutually beneficial plan.

To clarify, I do NOT favor benefitting or "privileging" the automobile over the pedestrian.  I agree with hiding the parking.  i.e. 39th St. (Thomas, Jazz, Genghis Khan facing the street - parking in the rear). 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KC-wildcat wrote:To clarify, I do NOT favor benefitting or "privileging" the automobile over the pedestrian.  I agree with hiding the parking.  i.e. 39th St. (Thomas, Jazz, Genghis Khan facing the street - parking in the rear). 
It's still a fail if you want to walk down State Line.  Ideally, that lot would be a multi-level garage with storefronts facing the street, but after spending a fair amount of time trying to imagine how that would work (years ago), I came to the conclusion it would probably make deliveries to the restaurants on that part of 39th a pain in the ass. Of course, I'm no urban planner. I'm sure there's some way to pull it off.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

mean wrote: It's still a fail if you want to walk down State Line.  Ideally, that lot would be a multi-level garage with storefronts facing the street, but after spending a fair amount of time trying to imagine how that would work (years ago), I came to the conclusion it would probably make deliveries to the restaurants on that part of 39th a pain in the ass. Of course, I'm no urban planner. I'm sure there's some way to pull it off.
Very seldom is there a perfect solution to any problem.  Especially when the problem is urban planning.  I think that part of 39th is a pretty consistent model of retail up front, parking in back.  Let's face it, multi-level parking garages with first level retail isn't always fiscally feasible.  Cramming parking behind the storefronts is the next best thing. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KC-wildcat wrote: Let's face it, multi-level parking garages with first level retail isn't always fiscally feasible.  
well, sure it is, especially if you consider public subsidies or abatements.  if it's "fiscally feasible" for commerce bank (or whomever) to literally tear down six square blocks of historic downtown buildings for a half-square mile of surface parking lots in the north end of the downtown loop, it's feasible to build a modest parking garage with street-facing retail in the busy 39th/Ku Med area.  if it's "fiscally feasible" for federal and local goverments to inject billions of dollars into neighborhood and city-killing downtown freeways, it is feasible to undo the damage as well.  

it's not a matter of fiscally feasible, it's a matter of priorities - and this city (and others) have always prioritized easy parking over pedestrian/human experience.  it is still happening downtown as we speak, as we tear down historic structures to feed the insatiable desire (not need, desire) for parking garages to service the brand spanking new P+L District.  
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

TK, circling back to the original point.  Sure the mini block around Chipotle/Starbucks may have some mild pedestrian hostility issues - but they are a drop in the bucket compared to what the pedestrian is going to face walking back east towards the tfwy along the route you seem to think connects "West W39th" with "East W39th" as one cohesive neighborhood.  Here the pedestrian is going to pass the giant setback of the lorretto, a full on suburb-scaled strip mall, a used car lot, a couple really large surface lots for office buildings, amongst other uglies.  The proof is in the traffic - you never, ever, ever see pedestrians in this stretch.  When we walk to W39th we almost always cut through the residential neighborhoods - why, because that stretch of 39th is just a dreadful walk.  As long as that is the case, suggesting that W39th and north westport are some sort of continuous neighborhood makes no sense. 
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

chrizow wrote: well, sure it is, especially if you consider public subsidies or abatements.  if it's "fiscally feasible" for commerce bank (or whomever) to literally tear down six square blocks of historic downtown buildings for a half-square mile of surface parking lots in the north end of the downtown loop, it's feasible to build a modest parking garage with street-facing retail in the busy 39th/Ku Med area.  if it's "fiscally feasible" for federal and local goverments to inject billions of dollars into neighborhood and city-killing downtown freeways, it is feasible to undo the damage as well.  

it's not a matter of fiscally feasible, it's a matter of priorities - and this city (and others) have always prioritized easy parking over pedestrian/human experience.  it is still happening downtown as we speak, as we tear down historic structures to feed the insatiable desire (not need, desire) for parking garages to service the brand spanking new P+L District.  
Pick your battles.  That's all I'm saying.  I agree with everything you've posted.  But, come on, the hidden/obscured parking lot behind the Jazz on 39th St. is not even in the same universe as the desecration that has occured downtown. 
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

Valentine Video across the street from me will probably be the next surface lot victim next year....
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I hope not. The building doesn't seem to be in that bad of shape, and I never have a problem finding parking when I come to eat or buy games at Game Stop.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

It's actually in very bad shape. My landlord almost bought it a few years ago but the repair costs were more than it was selling for.
The foundation is a wreck, it needs to be completely tuck pointed, etc.....

I was told it was a brothel at one time. Seems far fetched but fun to tell people!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Ouch, well, that sucks. Add it to the list of projects I'd take on if I had billions of dollars.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Javanaut has closed, but a replacement is already in progress.  Mud Pie will be an all-vegan bakery and coffee house after the first of the year.  http://www.mudpiebakery.com
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

cool, thanks for the info Danger!  Javanaut always seemed a little..off for whatever reason.  39th needs a truly great coffee house. 

I guess I shouldn't hold my breath for Mud Pie, but I have to say I'm really excited for them now, the more vegan/veg places (and bakeries!) the better in my book (tho I am neither)...
are we spinning free?
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

rxlexi wrote:   YES.

I do however agree with KC wildcat - in KC, and LITERALLY EVERY CITY IN AMERICA outside of NYC, 90% + of the metro population drives, and will for the foreseeable future.  Can we PLEASE take a visionary look at transit (FREE in small metros), raise the gas tax 5x, make it more difficult/expensive to get drivers license etc?  We could and should but aren't right now, and the vast majority of people will STILL drive given these disincentives.

The ideal future city, structurally, would look something like the plaza IMO.  Dense mixed use districts with well-designed parking and sidewalks, capable of elegantly and easily accomodating large numbers of people and autos comfortably - with much better transit access being the one missing piece of the transportation puzzle there.  It is certainly possible, though expensive, to design places that function well for people and accommodate cars reasonably well, which is unfortunately necessary in this country. 

I'm sorry but the allegation that the Country Club Plaza has well designed parking and sidewalks that "elegantly and easily accommodate large numbers of people" couldn't be more wrong. That is the furtherest thing from the truth. The reality is parking and pedestrian movement on the Country Club Plaza is a huge cluster fuck.

They had to recently install more traffic signals on the plaza so pedestrians don't get killed trying to navigate the 47th St parking lagoon. The plaza's streetscape looks ugly with all those cars lining the streets and clogging it's lanes in constant traffic gridlock. It has become a huge mess that more and more people are starting to avoid.

The Country Club Plaza in it's current state can hardly be called visionary

In my opinion.
Last edited by justin8216 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.