OFFICIAL: Law Building

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Re: OFFICIAL: Law Building

Post by Gladstoner »

FangKC wrote: But doesn't the oil and antifreeze just run-off during a rainstorm into the storm sewers and end up in the river?
I guess it's a NIMBY thing. Instead of going into our groundwater, it just flows down river. It's water under the bridge at that point......  :)

Actually, ground water cycles so much more slowly than runoff. Stuff would tend to accumulate there over time.
A fool and your money are soon united.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

The bus stop, which *originally* was in front of the Law Bldg on Grand, then moved south in front of Transylvania when the Law Bldg renovation started 3 years ago, has been moved back to its original location in front of the gravel pit. 
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Post by paisstat »

Is there anything planned for this site?  I do love that gravel there now, I hope it remains a gravel parking lot, so urban!
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

The site now has an urban chain-link fence around it.
kid a
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kid a »

unfortunately, that whole block is to be demolished and used as a temporary surface lot.
the word "temporary" i do not not like.  before anything was demolished there should have been
a concrete plan for something to be developed, i bet anything it stays a surface lot.
what a mistake, a large portion of where the sprint center is going was asphalt parking and was hideous
to look at, you would think the city would have learned from that outdated way of thinking. instead they
shifting one parking lot area to another block :x
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Another example of the same outright stupidity and short sightedness that was the contributing factor of killing the vitality of our city in the first place.

We need density and adaptive resue, not gaping holes in the core of our urban fabric at our most prominent downtown intersections.

I like you, have serious doubts about the "temporary" nature of this new parking lot.
Last edited by MidtownCat on Sun May 15, 2005 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've been told by somebody I would consider knows what is going on that whoever bought this property wants to build something on the site but is being held up by some title issues on the land due to the loans that the old developer got from trying to rehab the law building.

Hopefully that is true.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Post by paisstat »

I am typically against the destruction of the older building stock, as I was against the destruction of the Law Building.  That said, I wouldn't mind seeing those smaller buildings beside the former Law Bldg torn down.  They are far too low for a street the width of Grand and not very decorative in detail anyway.  I would love to see a redevelopment of this block and that horrific parking garage across the street with buildings similar in height to most of Grand.  I can keep dreaming!
diamond
Pad site
Pad site

Post by diamond »

kid a wrote: i bet anything it stays a surface lot.
:x
Kid- i'll bet you it doesn't remain a parking lot. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i really can't imagine that an out-of-town (nyc right?) investor would comb KCMO for prime lots ONLY to tear down a decent building and put a parking lot there.  surely someone who would buy a lot like this is aware of the KCMO downtown boom and probably is going to try to get a piece.  i hope/bet youre right KCP.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

That is certainly a rumor I like to hear.  It just doesn't make sense to put a surface lot in such a prime location.  What, 1 block north of the arena/PLD?
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

i don't think it will remain a surface parking lot in the long term (just as most other surface lots in the loop should be developed eventually).  However, for the short term there wouldn't be much of a reason why not to make it a surface lot.  It's very possible the person who bought it wants to sit on the property, watch it appreciate, and sell it at some point in the future when someone comes along with a big enough project.  It's called speculation.....buy low sell high.  Does that mean we could end up with a surface lot for a couple of years?  It very well could be.  Does it mean we could have a project being built there 5 years from now?  It very well could be.  However, i think the point is it doesn't look like this owner is buying the property to develop it as much as to sit on it.  And it goes back to the issue of whether the Law Building could have been rehabbed into a mixed use residential/office/retail project within the next 5 years (particularly after the P+L district opened), as opposed to facing an uncertain future as a surface lot in the hands of a speculator with more concern for his bottom line than what effect it has on the city.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The old renderings for Stan Durwoods never realized Power & Light District show this exact same block as a landscaped surface lot.  And this was before an arena was ever dreamed of for the blocks south.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ComandanteCero wrote: However, i think the point is it doesn't look like this owner is buying the property to develop it as much as to sit on it.
What I'm saying is this person says the buyer does want to build on it....now, not later.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

KCPowercat wrote: What I'm saying is this person says the buyer does want to build on it....now, not later.
i totally missed your post KCP, it's good to hear!  Of course now the question is just WHAT are they going to build (i'd assume it's going to be a parking garage, with some street level storefronts).  It's probably not going to be residential (since they could have just rehabbed the Law building if they wanted that), or office (since the market isn't anywhere near even calling for new office construction).  My hope is that if it is a parking garage, it's well designed and hopefully fulfills parking requirements for future adjacent projects.......  Not as cool as rehabbing the original building, but at this point we have to work with what we have.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

[quote]Frank “Super Frankâ€
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

Well, this at least sounds promising. . .
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I think, at this point, it's fair to say that there certainly is something beyond a parking lot being envisioned. Whethere that something happens anytime soon is a totally different story.
kid a
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kid a »

i would have rather seen the law building rehabbed and used in a creative way, but i am happy to hear that there is possible plans of building on this site. i was informed earlier this year that is was to become "temporary "surface lot. i'm glad that at least it has a chance of being developed. let's just hope that whatever it is, it has good design and adds to the area.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Downtown property for sale after deal fizzles

Law Building site back on the market

The Law Building property, a strategic downtown corner one block from the planned Sprint Center arena, is back on the market after a purchase agreement fell through.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 173097.htm

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit