Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by dukuboy1 »

I'm aware of such excitement as well, both for the opportunity to host something on a world stage and to get a premium soccer event. So there are definitely pockets of people from those areas excited. I am happy for them & excited for their support. Just taking a larger, macro view of what it will take to make it all amazing and it seems like outside of the major metros it feels like a project that we will doing a lot on our own efforts. Some of it is to be expected in that if you talk the talk you better be prepared to walk the walk, so to speak.

I am not from a rural area, born in a college town as my dad got his PHD @ Iowa St. and we moved to KC when I was 3 :) . But I have family across the US that live in small towns and of course friends from those areas as well.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:22 am I'm aware of such excitement as well, both for the opportunity to host something on a world stage and to get a premium soccer event. So there are definitely pockets of people from those areas excited. I am happy for them & excited for their support. Just taking a larger, macro view of what it will take to make it all amazing and it seems like outside of the major metros it feels like a project that we will doing a lot on our own efforts. Some of it is to be expected in that if you talk the talk you better be prepared to walk the walk, so to speak.

I am not from a rural area, born in a college town as my dad got his PHD @ Iowa St. and we moved to KC when I was 3 :) . But I have family across the US that live in small towns and of course friends from those areas as well.
I don’t think there’s anyone in Missouri or Kansas who’s upset that KC got the World Cup. The only people who fight fuck us on it if anything are fiscal conservatives who don’t want to spend on projects, but I get the sense that even they know this isn’t the time for that BS considering alot of projects are speeding up timeline.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:27 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:22 am I'm aware of such excitement as well, both for the opportunity to host something on a world stage and to get a premium soccer event. So there are definitely pockets of people from those areas excited. I am happy for them & excited for their support. Just taking a larger, macro view of what it will take to make it all amazing and it seems like outside of the major metros it feels like a project that we will doing a lot on our own efforts. Some of it is to be expected in that if you talk the talk you better be prepared to walk the walk, so to speak.

I don’t think there’s anyone in Missouri or Kansas who’s upset that KC got the World Cup. The only people who fight fuck us on it if anything are fiscal conservatives who don’t want to spend on projects, but I get the sense that even they know this isn’t the time for that BS considering alot of projects are speeding up timeline.
What exactly is "fight fuck" and how much are tickets? ;)
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:03 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:27 pm

What exactly is "fight fuck" and how much are tickets? ;)
HAHA meant to say *try to fuck us over* but am physically lol’ing right now
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

You might have something to sell tickets to right there my man. A good fight fuck could heal the nation….😎
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

freedog wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:52 am There are plenty of examples of the state government tanking forward thinking ideas. Just off the top of my head there's the Rock Island trail that had secured $70 million in federal funding and the UMKC's Conservatory downtown.

That said I'm still optimistic about this and think it can happen by 2026. But it does feel like KCMO often has to fight the state to make things happen
Wasn’t UMKC approved by leg who understood the value but vetoed by a single popular govenor
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Goonies wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:28 pm Will this be apart of the 10 mile green walk way thing? Very excited for that.
I don't think it can be connected but agree hope that comes to be.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:27 pm I don’t think there’s anyone in Missouri or Kansas who’s upset that KC got the World Cup. The only people who fight fuck us on it if anything are fiscal conservatives who don’t want to spend on projects, but I get the sense that even they know this isn’t the time for that BS considering alot of projects are speeding up timeline.
Oh, there are. Many politicians are elected from rural areas that represent state residents who don't want one cent extra than necessary to go to Kansas City or St. Louis. They hate the big cities. Maybe not so much the legislators, but their constituents. These rural legislators have big say over the state budget.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:34 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:27 pm I don’t think there’s anyone in Missouri or Kansas who’s upset that KC got the World Cup. The only people who fight fuck us on it if anything are fiscal conservatives who don’t want to spend on projects, but I get the sense that even they know this isn’t the time for that BS considering alot of projects are speeding up timeline.
Oh, there are. Many politicians are elected from rural areas that represent state residents who don't want one cent extra than necessary to go to Kansas City or St. Louis. They hate the big cities. Maybe not so much the legislators, but their constituents. These rural legislators have big say over the state budget.
That’s why I’m increasingly becoming more optimistic that we lean towards KS than MO. Because the urban voters are starting to grow their share of the pie quickly
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:44 pm
freedog wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:52 am There are plenty of examples of the state government tanking forward thinking ideas. Just off the top of my head there's the Rock Island trail that had secured $70 million in federal funding and the UMKC's Conservatory downtown.

That said I'm still optimistic about this and think it can happen by 2026. But it does feel like KCMO often has to fight the state to make things happen
Wasn’t UMKC approved by leg who understood the value but vetoed by a single popular govenor
Greitens. Somewhat relevant given the current election cycle
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

freedog wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:43 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:44 pm

Wasn’t UMKC approved by leg who understood the value but vetoed by a single popular governor
Greitens. Somewhat relevant given the current election cycle
yep he killed it, despite bi-partisan support in the State Legislature as well on the Federal Congressional/Senate level. If I recall that angered a lot of GOP members in the state from KC & STL that had worked hard to get this done and to be a nice showpiece project for KC but also to help see the future that things like this help to promote the state (and city) and attract new residents and businesses. But alas it got booted and now the conservatory is back on campus but I have ho idea where or even if they had started it.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

If KC and STL sank into an abyss the rest of the state would probably celebrate before the whole economy collapsed
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Guess it's up to Cordish to cap the loop and make it nice for their tower residents. Skywalk to cap park anyone?😁
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Finally some updates on the South Loop Cap project:

We might be doing 6 blocks to start this, not just 4
The park will see at least four blocks of interstate capped between Wyandotte Street and Grand Boulevard, and perhaps two more blocks to the east, extending to Oak Street, depending on cost and feasibility.
Jon Stephen's & Brian Platt say in the article they can accelerate the cap with this RFP- could be all done by World Cup
Downtown Council representatives in recent months have shared a tentative window for the park to break ground in 2025 and potentially complete construction by the third of quarter 2027, though with the possibility of a faster timeline depending on the project's design-build approach.

Port KC's coming RFP now stands to accelerate that schedule, City Manager Brian Platt said. He has expressed a hope to finish at least part, if not all, of the park before the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
September 1st is when RFP's will come. It sounds like they're gonna be able to get this thing moving sooner rather than later.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... uncil.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm more excited they aren't skipping Wyandotte to Baltimore block. I had a fear that elevation was going to be cut. Definitely will take six blocks!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

To be completed by World Cup, they need to be finished by end of 2Q 2026. Which means they need to break ground late 2023 or really early 2024. Which coincides with the reviews getting done in September 2023 so they can break ground shortly after that.

I hope they keep those steps/hill design. That's gonna be KC's new icon & attraction.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:04 pm I'm more excited they aren't skipping Wyandotte to Baltimore block. I had a fear that elevation was going to be cut. Definitely will take six blocks!
I had this concern as well, I figured that would just serve as an amphitheater for highway noise were they to leave it open as well. Good to hear that the tossup is the the east and not west end.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Need to start before 2025 then
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:37 pm Need to start before 2025 then
And find some money
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Capping the interstate all the way to Oak makes the EV stadium site so much more attractive.