Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by bobbyhawks »

The second location for Normal Human has opened at 1815 McGee (after the one in Westport at 827 Westport Rd). Should be a great addition to the neighborhood, and they have some new stuff to check out.

http://www.nrmlhmn.com/
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

pash wrote:
What I want to see in the Crossroads is the sort of addition that gives new life to a small historic structure with contemporary architecture that doesn't try to hide:
The NW corner of 11th/Penn has a good method for neighborhoods like the west side. two homes were connected for professional office use.

the setback of the connection works in historical context and they could have built a new structure on the back that connects in a similar way
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

mgh7676 wrote:Developers tackle another $8M Crossroads apartment project
Andrew Ganahl of Linden Street Partners LLC appeared before the Planned Industrial Expansion Authority board on Thursday to request a property tax abatement for the conversion of a former Kansas City Star paper warehouse at 1721-23 Walnut St. into 38 market-rate apartments over ground-floor commercial space.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ml?ana=twt
I'm really surprised that that building at 1721-23 Walnut hasn't already been converted by now into office for some small IT or software development company.

Does anyone know where the parking will be for this apartment buidling?

Linden Street Partners seems to be bullish on doing apartment development in downtown Kansas City. I wonder where else they are looking?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

It's my understanding that they were looking closely at Midtown before the last streetcar vote failed.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Eon Blue wrote:It's my understanding that they were looking closely at Midtown before the last streetcar vote failed.
I remember they said they said they were going to look at all the corridors
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Love the different textures in this one. Terra Cotta, Steel, Sky Station, glass, three types of brick, Aluminium siding.

And I never noticed until today the color in the Terra Cotta.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

rendering:

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

- BNIM TIF approved, expect the project to move quickly
- one of the last derelict buildings on Baltimore is being renovated (1721 Main - permit http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... 9&jur=KCMO)
- cluster of film row buildings at 1701 wyandotte are also being renovated by shirley helzberg
- new liquor license for 1801 oak (iTap, which has several locations in St. Louis)... this is the building that a car ran into a while back
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

While in KC a couple of weeks ago, I happened to pass by the small rust, brown and tan building at about 1620 Baltimore as it was being shown to what I assume was a prospective tenant or purchaser.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

DaveKCMO wrote:- new liquor license for 1801 oak (iTap, which has several locations in St. Louis)... this is the building that a car ran into a while back
Apparently this space will be a joint Itap and Mission Tacos. Both STL places.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

would be awesome to save that building and make the newly formed open space into a cool patio.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

KCPowercat wrote:would be awesome to save that building and make the newly formed open space into a cool patio.
According to a Feast Magazine article, the portion that collapsed might be all glass.

http://m.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/kan ... 5ffd9.html
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

It would be cool if they have a drink or a taco named after the person that ran into the building.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^amusing, submit it to them...
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Early rendering of 1801 Oak.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Yep. That solution for the collapsed corner is perfect.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

That's decent. A good example that a quality design adding onto a historic building doesn't have to be complex and expensive

Doesn't try to replace the brick structure and they tie the two together with the lattice pattern over the windows.
I especially like the balcony on one end. an unnecessary but nice touch
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

kboish wrote:Confirmation of the children's museum concept I brought up earlier.
Rabbit Hole, a proposed nonprofit children’s book center, plans to have an office in the former Hammerpress space at 110 Southwest Blvd. The space will house the project’s capital campaign office as well as a model studio where visitors can get a feel for what a permanent center would look like.

The permanent center would be about 50,000 square feet or more.

Rabbit Hole expects a capital campaign of two to three years.

“Imagine if the City Museum in St. Louis crashed into the Eric Carle Museum (of Picture Book Art) in Amherst, Mass. That’s the sort of scale and energy we’re after,” said Pete Cowdin, founder of Rabbit Hole with his wife, Debbie Pettid. “The Rabbit Hole will be the first of its kind in the United States — an immersive laboratory of creativity, education and play dedicated to literacy and the literary arts through the advancement, preservation and celebration of the children’s book.”

Cowdin and Pettid also operate Brookside’s Reading Reptile.
Along with other tidbits of opening in the West Xroads--so as not to be out done by the east Xroads
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 50706.html
This may be purely coincidental, but just looking at the Rabbit Hole KC website, isn't the image they use as their "future home" the building at the northwest corner of 18th & Holmes? https://goo.gl/maps/UxX2KMgEBtD2

http://www.rabbitholekc.org/#
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

looks like it, but they'd have to raise a lot of money to buy it.