Big 12 Basketball 2008

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Big 12 Basketball 2008

Post by kcmetro »

kcdcchef wrote: it is. you win the tourney, you are in the big tourney. you win the regular season and tank the rest of your schedule, you could miss the big tourney. doubt that would ever happen, but hey, it is possible. think about it, in a weak year, you could win conference at 12-4, and tank your non con schedule, go like 3-13,  go 15-17. would you make the ncaa's at 15-17?? not hardly. but if you then went into the big XII and win it outright, you make the ncaa's at 19-17. gee, which one is more imporatant??

i know, the one that gives you those groovy t-shirts every year. the regular season title, and the chance to celebrate winning jack shit on your lame ass campus.
You dork, the tourney doesn't mean a whole lot for teams that are a lock to make the big dance.  But I know you and your MU brethren don't know much about being locks for the tourney.  That conference tourney is usually your only ticket to the post season.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kcdcchef wrote: it is. you win the tourney, you are in the big tourney. you win the regular season and tank the rest of your schedule, you could miss the big tourney. doubt that would ever happen, but hey, it is possible. think about it, in a weak year, you could win conference at 12-4, and tank your non con schedule, go like 3-13,  go 15-17. would you make the ncaa's at 15-17?? not hardly. but if you then went into the big XII and win it outright, you make the ncaa's at 19-17. gee, which one is more imporatant??

i know, the one that gives you those groovy t-shirts every year. the regular season title, and the chance to celebrate winning jack shit on your lame ass campus.
Nebraska had a better year in '94 because they won the Big 8 tourney - even though Mizzou went 14-0 in conference play?

I would think most basketball fans would disagree. And it begs the question, why did the selection committee reward MU with a #1 seed and Nebraska with a #6 seed that year? Doesn't make much sense if Nebraska's accomplishment meant more.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Are you high?  Get back to me when a BCS conference championship winner is even close to being in jeopardy of not making the big dance as an auto bid.  It will never happen.  The only thing that would even make this close to a possibility is if two lottery picks were injured until the conference games, and the committee takes personnel issues into consideration, so 15-17 may even equal automatic bid then.  As Kevin Harlan said on 810, the committee is not supposed to necessarily look at who has earned the right to get into the tournament, but rather to look at who are the best, most competitive teams to put in.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

3-13 non-con and 12-4 in conference. In the Big XII. Listen to yourself.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

bobbyhawks wrote: Are you high?  Get back to me when a BCS conference championship winner is even close to being in jeopardy of not making the big dance as an auto bid.  It will never happen.  
talking about basketball still, right? i prefaced it by saying it probably would never happen, but it could. that is why they call them cinderalla stories. a 20 loss team could fuck around and win the ncaa's. never happened, but the way automatic bids are set up ( winning your con tournament ) it is possible. and i highly doubt it ever happening either.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

kcdcchef wrote: talking about basketball still, right? i prefaced it by saying it probably would never happen, but it could. that is why they call them cinderalla stories. a 20 loss team could fuck around and win the ncaa's. never happened, but the way automatic bids are set up ( winning your con tournament ) it is possible. and i highly doubt it ever happening either.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

bobbyhawks wrote: Are you high?  Get back to me when a BCS conference championship winner is even close to being in jeopardy of not making the big dance as an auto bid.  
I am rooting for Baylor for the rest of the weekend just in the hopes of seeing this happen.   :lol:
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I am rooting for Baylor for the rest of the weekend just in the hopes of seeing this happen.   :lol:
????

I am referring to the regular season conference championship winner (in this case KU) not getting an automatic bid in a BCS conference.  It will never happen.  The tourney winner is an auto bid no matter.  The "BCS" conferences (and yes I understand this is a football categorization but is frequently used for bball as well) would have to be so bad, Depaul and Colorado would have to clone themselves across an entire league.  This is not possible.  There is too much money in these conferences.  Find me a BCS conference school that went 3-13 in the non-con for one, and I may admit that it is possible that a team could suck that bad, but this still leaves a doubt as to whether they could clone Michael Jordan mid-season and turn things around.  Heck, Oregon won 6 games and Oregon St. won 5 games in the non-con and they are terrible.  Georgia won 9.  Indiana won 5.  Colorado won 8.  Virginia won 6.  Geo Tech won 9.  Can you tell me with a straight face that any of these teams had a snowball's chance in hell of winning their regular season?  Pac 10 (14-4), ACC (13-3), Big East (16-2),  Big XII (14-2), Big 10 (15-3)

I encourage anyone to dig up a list of all the regular season champions from BCS conferences with a sub .500 non-con record.  Heck, I'd even be impressed if they were missing their best player.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

WSPanic wrote: You must not get out much, because he is already The Sporting News coach of year. Don't make me do your frickin' research for you. How frickin' lazy could you be?

Ooooo.....Ahhhhhh....wowwww....."The Sporting News" has named Self their COY!  I'm Impressed.  Hell, my d**k probably has more credibility than them.  We're talking about the real COY award, otherwise known as the Henry Iba Award for college basketball coach of the year.  Hell even the AP COY award stomps all over "The Sporting News".... Grow up, you silly Jaydork.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

im2kull wrote: Grow up, you silly Jaydork.
This from the dude who was claiming to be a jayhawk fan and alumni just recently. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

im2kull wrote: Ooooo.....Ahhhhhh....wowwww....."The Sporting News" has named Self their COY!  I'm Impressed.  Hell, my d**k probably has more credibility than them.  We're talking about the real COY award, otherwise known as the Henry Iba Award for college basketball coach of the year.  Hell even the AP COY award stomps all over "The Sporting News".... Grow up, you silly Jaydork.
Your posting gets worse and worse every day.  Hopefully it's just a March Madness thing.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: This from the dude who was claiming to be a jayhawk fan and alumni just recently. 
I resent the dumb crew, the 97% majority of our fellow alums and current students that use less than two brain cells when posting replys.  You've obvjously never had a good game of beer-pong if you've never heard a Ku'r call another Ku'r a "Jaydork".
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

im2kull wrote: I resent the dumb crew, the 97% majority of our fellow alums and current students that use less than two brain cells when posting replys.  You've obvjously never had a good game of beer-pong if you've never heard a Ku'r call another Ku'r a "Jaydork".
- Mark Twain
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That's one credible unit.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

NDTeve wrote: Image

so i see you went to the MD and metro school of saying fuck it, post a picture as a reply.

so you cede it is possible for a crap team to win the big XII tourney and go to the ncaa's, yes?? and then at that point, what would your lousy ass regular season title be worth? the paper it is printed on? you girls in lo-rents seem to put a lot of stock into playing for regular season titles ( football, in particular ) and not playing in championship games. guess t-shirt printing and t-shirt sales are the biggest thing in lo-rents and gotta keep it going. i see. carry on.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

im2kull wrote: Grow up, you silly Jaydork.
Irony.
kcdcchef wrote: so i see you went to the MD and metro school of saying fuck it, post a picture as a reply.

so you cede it is possible for a crap team to win the big XII tourney and go to the ncaa's, yes?? and then at that point, what would your lousy ass regular season title be worth? the paper it is printed on? you girls in lo-rents seem to put a lot of stock into playing for regular season titles ( football, in particular ) and not playing in championship games. guess t-shirt printing and t-shirt sales are the biggest thing in lo-rents and gotta keep it going. i see. carry on.
The hits keep coming...  Perhaps we've grown tired of winning it so much?  Until a winner is decided tomorrow, we still have as many Big XII tournament championships as the rest of the league combined.  All our lousy ass regular season title gets us this year is a top 4 seed in the tournament for the 9th consecutive year.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

NDTeve wrote: Why would they do that? JLB is positive that the conference tournaments are more important than the regular season.
First of all Lunardi is hardly the "expert" he claims to be on this stuff.  I saw a website that rated websites that predict tourny seedings and Lunardi was toward the bottom.  That being said I would not be surprised if KU got a bloated seed and the benefit of playing in KC.  Kansas has name recognition and they are the defending champs. 

Second, I never said the conference tournament was more important.  I said it was "on the same level if not more important".  In non BCS conferences you could be an undefeated regular season conference tournament champion and not make the NCAA tournament if you do not win the conference tournament.  Clearly in many conferences the tournament championship is more important than the regular season championship.  On the other hand in BCS conferneces I would argue the regular season and tournament championships are on the same level.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kcmetro wrote: You dork, the tourney doesn't mean a whole lot for teams that are a lock to make the big dance.  But I know you and your MU brethren don't know much about being locks for the tourney.  That conference tourney is usually your only ticket to the post season.

Kansas haters have waited 3 long years to finally say KU "choked" in a tourney.  It's been a long, depressing time for them all on that topic.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

jlbomega wrote: First of all Lunardi is hardly the "expert" he claims to be on this stuff.  I saw a website that rated websites that predict tourny seedings and Lunardi was toward the bottom. 
He was nearly perfect last year. 
jlbomega wrote: Second, I never said the conference tournament was more important.  I said it was "on the same level if not more important".  In non BCS conferences you could be an undefeated regular season conference tournament champion and not make the NCAA tournament if you do not win the conference tournament.  Clearly in many conferences the tournament championship is more important than the regular season championship.  On the other hand in BCS conferneces I would argue the regular season and tournament championships are on the same level.
I think you are off your rocker on this - but regardless, KU has absolutely crushed the conference in both categories throughout its existence. 
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

WSPanic wrote: Nebraska had a better year in '94 because they won the Big 8 tourney - even though Mizzou went 14-0 in conference play?

I would think most basketball fans would disagree. And it begs the question, why did the selection committee reward MU with a #1 seed and Nebraska with a #6 seed that year? Doesn't make much sense if Nebraska's accomplishment meant more.
Lame arguement.  If you are talking about who had a "better year" then you need to look at the entire season.  Not just confernece play, not just confernece tournament play.  Obviously you can point at fluke situations all over the place.... queue 2007 college football season discussion.