Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Downtown ballpark and condos

Post by AlkaliAxel »

How can Jackson County/Missouri find the money for both Royals and then the Chiefs right after that? I get they could get the Royals done..but then wouldn't that leave Kansas with the massive advantage to sway the Chiefs since they weren't the ones who are in the hole financially now for Royals? It's not like KS is poor to begin with. I just really see Chiefs seeing Legends as the logical move for them given that area is already built up and Missouri might not want to do the rodeo all over again that they just did with the Royals. It just really feels Kansas would have the huge advantage and facilities for Chiefs if Missouri goes all in for the Royals first.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Future Stadium Plans: Chiefs and Royals

Post by GRID »

I see another major renovation of the sports complex in the coming years. Probably an extension of the existing reno tax. And probably 1/2 to 3/4 billion in renovations for both stadiums combined.

I still think a downtown baseball stadium is a pipe dream for KC. Just way too many obstacles (money, support etc) and political/emotional issues tied to the sports complex. If KC could pull it off it would be awesome, but KC is just not a town that is going to pull off what needs to be done to build a downtown stadium. I just don't see how the city and state comes up with a billion plus dollars for a downtown park and even the bare minimal of infrastructure improvements needed. And then another billion for the Chiefs at the same time. I literally can not even comprehend something like that happening in a town that can't even keep its highest profile downtown streets well maintained.

Also, it will be a sad day for the Chiefs if they replace Arrowhead. It may have to happen someday, but they will not have that bowl with a new stadium. It will be all broken up like all the new stadiums are for ADA accessibility reasons. Also the TSC is the perfect place for a stadium, even if the Chiefs decide to build new, why in the world would they ever leave the TSC? There is zero reason to leave that location.

If they do renovate, it would be nice if they would clean up the area and spend some money improving the general area of the TSC though.

I can see KS making a major play for the Chiefs out at Village West, that will at least get something done in MO hopefully. If the pro sport teams ever move to KS, then I would have little interest in the city anymore. Sporting KC is bad enough. What a stupid location.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Mahomes endorses downtown stadium:
https://www.kshb.com/sports/patrick-mah ... for-royals

Could be critical in marketing it to taxpayers
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Mahomes may be the best thing that has ever happened to KC. What he is doing there is pretty incredible. I think he has a really good chance of being a big part of bringing the NBA (or NHL?) to KC in the next ten years or so.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Collison projects a much more realistic representation of owner Sherman's words, not cherry picking his words. But written media can't project how downplayed the vocal tone came across if you listen to the whole conversation.

https://cityscenekc.com/royals-owner-sa ... ne-option/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:26 pm Mahomes endorses downtown stadium:
https://www.kshb.com/sports/patrick-mah ... for-royals

Could be critical in marketing it to taxpayers
Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes said Wednesday during a press conference at the team’s practice facility.

He described the possibility as “exciting.”

RELATED | All 10 of Mahomes’ double-digit comebacks ranked

Mahomes said he’s been envious of the downtown stadiums he’s seen in other cities.

“You go to different places and see stadiums downtown,” Mahomes said. “You could kind of walk right into it. Kansas City has a great downtown. You would be able to do so much.”
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:04 pm How can Jackson County/Missouri find the money for both Royals and then the Chiefs right after that? I get they could get the Royals done..but then wouldn't that leave Kansas with the massive advantage to sway the Chiefs since they weren't the ones who are in the hole financially now for Royals? It's not like KS is poor to begin with. I just really see Chiefs seeing Legends as the logical move for them given that area is already built up and Missouri might not want to do the rodeo all over again that they just did with the Royals. It just really feels Kansas would have the huge advantage and facilities for Chiefs if Missouri goes all in for the Royals first.
What do you tear down at the legends? It’s fully built out.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

That^ but without the Royals
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Don't assume Kansas won't try and lure BOTH over the state line.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Goonies wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:52 pm Well it's settled.

Mahomes supports a downtown park so it will happen and the Royals will win multiple titles there because.... Mahomes
I have met Mahomes and other famous stars before on my nightly walks downtown. I will say that is something I think we have over our peers. A relatively walkable and safe downtown and social influencers who love to take be in said downtown.

I wonder if we see Mahomes run for office at some point. He has a level of civic engagement beyond any other sports player I can remember. The next Frank White?
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:01 pm Could definitely be a double edged sword, hard to see what some dude in western Spring Hill would appreciate about taxes going to something like the zoo, or some other attraction they’d go to maybe 1-2 times a year that they would see no direct benefit of
And yet Jackson County (and every major city in America) does that every year. Either JOCO is part of the metro or it’s not. Can’t claim KC when it’s convenient and Mahomes is on the tv and not help support metro institutions.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:54 pm
Goonies wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:52 pm Well it's settled.

Mahomes supports a downtown park so it will happen and the Royals will win multiple titles there because.... Mahomes
I have met Mahomes and other famous stars before on my nightly walks downtown. I will say that is something I think we have over our peers. A relatively walkable and safe downtown and social influencers who love to take be in said downtown.

I wonder if we see Mahomes run for office at some point. He has a level of civic engagement beyond any other sports player I can remember. The next Frank White?
^It's amazing. The only other person I've seen do anything somewhat like it is Lebron James with Cleveland- except I think Mahomes is already surpassing even that. He'll be huge for getting NBA here, World Cup, and other things. But I think Mahomes role too could be influencing nimby's in KC to do the right thing for the city and not always be so self-centered.

But yeah, I think Mahomes is charting new territory for an athlete being civically engaged.

Also makes me cringe when I hear "our downtown wasn't built for that!" when you have stars like Mahomes in downtown who love it. The whole point of a downtown was literally to have things like that and have fun. That's literally what downtowns are.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

"Arlington voters overwhelmingly support subsidizing Rangers new ballpark"
https://www.texastribune.org/2016/11/08 ... exas-rang/

"About 60 percent of voters supported the measure, with most precincts reporting late Tuesday.

"It's a landslide," said Brian Mayes, a spokesman for Vote Yes! Keep the Rangers, a political action committee that supported the bond measure."

"The city’s political and business establishment passionately backed subsidizing the new ballpark, which they pitched as a way to keep the team in Arlington."

For good measure, Dallas is pretty well to the right of KC. If Dallas can pass stadium funding in a landslide in 2016, KC should be able to atleast get it done. I think this is a good example that these things do get done. I don't think the voters are that different than ours either. I think it also shows, again, there's probably alot more support out there for downtown baseball than is perceived because of the vocal minority. Watch Kansas trying to steal the Royals just turbo-charge MO voters.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:01 pm Could definitely be a double edged sword, hard to see what some dude in western Spring Hill would appreciate about taxes going to something like the zoo, or some other attraction they’d go to maybe 1-2 times a year that they would see no direct benefit of
I go to the zoo maybe once a year on average as a Jackson County resident. It's probably more of a net loser financially for KCMO and the county based on other public contributions beyond the sales tax. And that's fine! It's a regional amenity and doesn't need to be a money maker.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Interested to see the funding ideas. As a downtown resident that goes to royals games quite often there is no way I'm getting out of paying for a new stadium and I'm just fine with that

Can't wait to save 21 bucks in parking a game and everybody else in the urban core should be jacked for that.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Eon Blue wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:23 am
I go to the zoo maybe once a year on average as a Jackson County resident. It's probably more of a net loser financially for KCMO and the county based on other public contributions beyond the sales tax. And that's fine! It's a regional amenity and doesn't need to be a money maker.
I agree, and to clarify, I’m not on the side of the mentality, simply saying it might not pan out how people want if JOCO residents are made to help financially support items in the region, because many would vote against things that would benefit the city and region as a whole, because they aren’t in the proximity or use it regularly. On top of that being the mentality of JOCO
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think this would amount to enough but ticket fees are a good way to ensure those using it are paying for it. PSLs too.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Boosting ticket prices most appropriate way to 'tax' only those who use 'the service' and maybe best way to 'tax' KS side but yeah, likely not enough. If stadium were part of a larger mixed use project within the stadium block, would allow for bringing in other investors to spread costs across multi functions and lower risks for all. Similar to advantage of a residential/hotel/office combo building.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:56 am …On top of that being the mentality of JOCO
Probably mostly this.