NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by KCPowercat »

Why doesn't everybody just tell the truth....most like one sport over the other.....using "reasons" like "players are thugs", "salary cap is bad", "they just had a strike", just be honest...you like hockey or basketball better.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

skim82 wrote: So, what is the deal with the NBA salary cap?  Do they have a "soft" cap with penalites??? 
I'm not positive, but I believe its a cap, except to players already on your team. So while you can't go out and sign a player if it puts you over the cap, you can go over the cap to re-sign your own players.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Hull-Os
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Hull-Os »

So, what is the deal with the NBA salary cap?  Do they have a "soft" cap with penalites??? 

It's incredibly complicated, however I know it's a soft cap.

Yes, I prefer the NHL, however I also think it is better for KC because of the HARD $44M cap.

As for the TV ratings, tons of people watch American Idol and it's the worst show I have ever seen. Not many people watched Arrested Development and that was the best show I have ever seen.

Ratings don't mean jack. Butts in seats is where the money is made and the NHL had 91% capacity for its buildings last season.
Last edited by Hull-Os on Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

KCPowercat wrote: sprintcenter.com

NBA - 52
NHL - 48
Today:

NBA [47%]
NHL [53%]

This poll is wacky.  Like any issue in Missouri, it's split.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Awhile ago, someone did a rendering of a possible Kansas City Magic logo. Does anyone still have it? Can I use it?

bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I think people are registering new users to keep the NBA count ahead.

Just like some people did with the Stadium Polls back in March.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

KCMax wrote: Awhile ago, someone did a rendering of a possible Kansas City Magic logo. Does anyone still have it? Can I use it?
I did one. I also did a new Kansas City Kings one. I'll have to dig them out and post them. I don't care if you use them.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

They are not perfect, but they aren't too shabby. Use away, just please don't hot link the images off my website. You could post a link to my website on your blog.  :D http://www.topekasportshistory.com

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Cool! Many thanks!

Your Kings logo may be of great use soon!

Sacramento and Maloofs break off talks for new arena

"We don't have a deal. Until you have a deal, it doesn't matter how close or far you are," said a weary Fong after the negotiations ended Wednesday.
This attempt at getting a deal for a new arena, the latest in a six-year odyssey, has been fueled by an impending deadline. If a deal isn't brokered soon, there won't be enough time to put the measure on the November ballot. The next opportunity won't appear until 2008.

Because the group is considering funding part of the arena with a countywide quarter-cent sales tax, the measure must be approved by voters.

If these talks fail, it could result in the Kings franchise leaving the city.

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Awesome job with the logos, Ez.  They look absolutely beautiful.    =D>
KCMax wrote: If these talks fail, it could result in the Kings franchise leaving the city.
[-o<
KC is the way to be!
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

Ez, awesome logos. But with the exception of the NFL, when teams switch cities, they tend to switch names too. The only team that may move here that might not change their name are the Kings just because of their early presence here. But it will be a different logo. If the SuperSonics move here, they wont be called the SuperSonics. Nor would any NHL team keep the same name if they moved here. The Minesota North Stars moved to Dallas to become the Stars, but other than that, no other team from my memory has kept the same name when they move (besides the NFL). So don't get used to the Kansas City SuperSonics because it won't be that way.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Charlotte-New Orleans Hornets, Vancouver-Memphis Grizzlies, Kansas City-Sacramento Kings, New Orleans-Utah Jazz, Minneapolis-Los Angeles Lakers, St. Louis-Atlanta Hawks, San Diego-Houston Rockets, San Diego-Los Angeles Clippers, Baltimore-Washington Bullets (they changed their name 20 years after they moved), and Philadelphia-Golden State Warriors all did not change their names.

A few have though (Buffalo Braves-San Diego Clippers, Cincinnati Royals-KC Kings, Syracuse Nationals-Philadelphia 76ers). I'd guess we'd keep the Kings moniker, but probably change the Sonics and Magic, but who knows?

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Someone may have posted this article before, but I found this today and thought I'd share.....

http://www.nysun.com/article/35565
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

Well suck me sideways.... my bad fellas :?
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

nice... bring on the kings..

but don't the Maloof bros. own the Palms in LV?

I could see them petitioning the NBA for a LV franchise...
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

None of the NBA conferences fit KC at all. Southwest conference with all the TX dirt belt cities? I don't think so. And then there's Northwest which is just mountain cities + MPLS. For this reason alone, I'd prefer to have NHL. Put us in the NHL Central with Chi City, StL, and Detroit and I'd wet myself.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Why should geographical divisional alignments matter much? That just means there is a huge midwestern market the NBA has not yet tapped into, that a KC team could readily exploit.

KC would probably be in the Southwest, with Dallas, San Antonio, Houston and NO/OKC, with Memphis getting kicked to another division. I think that would be a great alignment. Its not like the Royals or Chiefs play in divisions with nearby teams.

DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

Our NHL team would fit perfectly, but there sure would have to be some rearranging. I configured the divisions a while ago if an Eastern Conference team moved here. We would be in the Central Division with Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, and Columbus. Nashville would move to the Eastern Conference in the Southeast Division. Our division sure as hell would draw big crowds at the Sprint Center with all the Blues fans based here, everyone would want to watch the Red Wings powerhouse, and the Blackhawks are slowly making improvements. BUT WE NEED A TEAM FIRST!!
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCMax wrote: Why should geographical divisional alignments matter much? That just means there is a huge midwestern market the NBA has not yet tapped into, that a KC team could readily exploit.

KC would probably be in the Southwest, with Dallas, San Antonio, Houston and NO/OKC, with Memphis getting kicked to another division. I think that would be a great alignment. Its not like the Royals or Chiefs play in divisions with nearby teams.
If that's the division we'd be placed in, don't count on finishing any better than 3rd place.....for the foreseeable future. But that doesn't mean I don't want an NBA team.....bring it on!!!! :D
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCMax wrote: Why should geographical divisional alignments matter much?
Because they have a good hand in fueling rivalries which fuel tickets/ratings. Putting KC in the NBA Western Conference's Northwest division would be a disaster. I could see the one with the TX cities working if we were to get NBA.