Tired of Urban Living??????????

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tired of Urban Living??????????

Post by kard »

Yeah, I was kidding, meaning all those places are pretty much the same.  But, I honestly couldn't place them, even though I've been to both of them.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WHAT I DO FIND OFFENSIVE IS THE WAY SOME OF THE 'URBAN LIFERS' BELITTLE LIFE IN THE SUBURBS SO MUCH THAT IT SEEMS THEY HAVE SUCH A WARPED VIEW OF THE LIVES OF MANY PEOPLE.  YOU DON'T HAVE TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF BY ATTACKING THE LIVES OF OTHERS. 
No irony here from your comments and constant posting about how much people are deciding they don't want to live downtown.  Seems you have to attack to validate yourself somehow.  At least that's the vibe I get.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

nota wrote: Shopping for food is a waste of time. I plan our meals 2 weeks at a time using the ads for the week I'm going and make one trip do it all. I go back for fresh stuff once each week, but shopping every two days is not only expensive because you buy more, but is a complete waste of time and energy.

I picked up a big order at the drycleaners today. I was just wondering how if you live in the city you carry that home. Especially on a day like this (windy.)

Do you utilize the burbs for the vet, the bank, etc or are those in the urban?
Obviously none of you who attacked bothered to read what I wrote.

It takes me about an hour (if I run into someone I know, it might be a little longer) to do my grocery shopping for 2 weeks. It is not an ordeal. NEVER.

I buy fresh stuff that day and again around the end of the week and in the middle of the next week as I said in my first post. NOTHING is two weeks old unless it is meant to be. Besides that, I have frozen herbs and fruits and veggies from my garden last year in my freezer from last summer that is better than most fresh stuff you can get this time of year.

I am not Martha Stewart, nor do I do like she does nor do I even like her.

My time is too valuable to spend it on something as useless as shopping. I spend that time on volunteer work and my hobbies and my housework and my friends and family. THAT's not a waste of time.

As far as drycleaning-I didn't ask if there were drycleaners in the urban areas, I asked how you walk and carry a large order home on a windy day like yesterday. Still waiting for that answer.

Hey chef-do you have a GOOD recipe for a GOOD flourless chocolate cake?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

nota wrote: As far as drycleaning-I didn't ask if there were drycleaners in the urban areas, I asked how you walk and carry a large order home on a windy day like yesterday. Still waiting for that answer.
I think you got your answer from multiple people.  We have our cleaning delivered to our door, so we don't carry it anywhere.  Not even in from the car in the garage.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't understand the need to repost the same thing.....what answer were you expected?  You asked no question.

nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

KCPowercat wrote: I don't understand the need to repost the same thing.....what answer were you expected?  You asked no question.
This is what I wrote, but I didnt' phrase it in a question:
I picked up a big order at the drycleaners today. I was just wondering how if you live in the city you carry that home. Especially on a day like this (windy.)
And I haven't seen an answer yet.

The delivery dry cleaners are too expensive for me.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

nota wrote: And I haven't seen an answer yet.

Delivery is free.  Their rates are less than Pride Cleaners in OP where I used to get stuff cleaned.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Hold off on all downtown development, we need to check the prices on delivered dry cleaning!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

nota wrote: Obviously none of you who attacked bothered to read what I wrote.
Attacked???? Really????
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

nota is a bit of the drama queen. 

Just to answer her specific non-question.  I've carried dry cleaning home.  I carry flowers home.  I carry my computer home.  It's amazing what a human can do.

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Ah.

Last night I carried home angst and self doubt.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

nota wrote:
even though i did not use them at 910 penn, they had delivery, and it was free, right to your front door.
nota wrote:
Hey chef-do you have a GOOD recipe for a GOOD flourless chocolate cake?
yes. i actually just used it recently to do a girl scout cookie thin mint decadence cake, it was the bomb. i have a flourless chocolate cake that gets baked, and a chocolate pate that is like silk.

pm me
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Gee, I didnt' curse, I didnt' call anyone names, nor did I make any personal comments about anyone. But I got called a name just the same.

I could walk and carry my 'puters home, my flowers home, my groceries home, but I couldnt' carry home the drycleaning I had the other day. It was a big order and it was quite windy. I had 3 suits, 2 long winter coats, several shirts and a few pair of slacks. If you could walk and carry that home in 20 mph wind, you must be superman.

What I was wondering was if urbanites used their cars for some errands but not others.
KCPowercat wrote: nota is a bit of the drama queen. 

Just to answer her specific non-question.  I've carried dry cleaning home.  I carry flowers home.  I carry my computer home.  It's amazing what a human can do.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yes.  I use my car for some errands.

skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Funny to mention dry cleaning delivery services..

because i actually am the owner of one.

My dry cleaning delivery service costs "no more to your door".  However, i don't service DT, we only serve Western JoCo. However, we have 4 other vans on the road in Lee's Summit, Parkville/nkc, and almost all of JoCo.

Nota, i believe you said you lived near Parkville, PM me and i might be able to get you a great service for way less than you might think. 

Also, just a suggestion to people like Staubio, etc. that live DT... if you're not happy with the upcharges for delivery.... CALL AROUND... you'd be surprised how many cleaners are willing to deliver....Also, don't let your building manager select only one cleaners to serve the building, that just means you get charged more...   
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Tired of urban living? Well too damn bad, because that's where our society is going when reduced oil production prices the suburbs out of reason.

The existence of the suburbs only hastens the process, and increases the possibility of large-scale anarchic bloodshed in this country and others.

Bad times are coming, and it's largely because we, as a society, invested the bulk of our postwar wealth in a system of development that has no future, and exists to the detriment of all else.

I'm not saying this to validate my own living situation. I'm frightened as hell of the coming changes. I'm just stating what is going to happen, largely because of the suburbs.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

bahua wrote:

I'm not saying this to validate my own living situation. I'm frightened as hell of the coming changes. I'm just stating what is going to happen, largely because of the suburbs.
Fear is the Mind Killer.

Salvaging a system in a late stage of decay is going to present fantastic opportunities.
Last edited by Steve52 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCPowercat wrote: yes.  I use my car for some errands.
i think you almost have to on some occasions, based on sheer exhaustion ( career related ) or just your mood. when i lived in kc, and since in washington, and new york, my mind set was i am going to live in the city, support the city, and live the city life. and i did. shopping at various places on the east and west sides, and in the river market. and you are able to be self sufficient doing that, without ever using your car.

once in a while, it gets to the point that you just want to, not often though. for me, during christmas season, working 70-90 hours, i would not change my shopping habits, however, i would find myself driving to get this and that at the river market a little more, or driving to californias to get my fruit juices, or to the eastern market to get tea, however, it was again, just because i had been working 3 trillion hours, during the busiest time as a chef, and did not want to wait those 10 minutes for a bus and lug this and that.

i think the ocassional use of your car, even though you are trying to be the urban cowboy and all, just is what it is. and it is why you have a car, to say, yeah, 29 out of 30 days i take the bus, and 80 out of 84 times i walk / bus it to go shopping, but those ocassional trips, you just feel different.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

No. I like urban living, I wish they would get more stores like  Best Buy, Walmart , Kmart, Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I like the restaurants , there everywhere down here and have a large selection. I can live without the bars, nude shows, adult book stores and gambling.
Its not far from KCI, only 20 minutes. Bartle Hall is right down the road as with everything else is. Highways are easy to get on and off. I know where central patrol is. The hospital is close by. Dont give money to the homeless.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

that posting was a joke, right Paintfumes?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.