Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by Midtownkid »

Man all those buildings in the Freighthouse and Crossroads will be so hot once the PAC is open.  $1,000,000 views! (probably quite literally.)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

loftguy wrote: Somebody sedate Bill Drummond until it's built.
is he really against this one? it's not dramatically taller (if at all) than it's surroundings, which was the "problem" with the broadway.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Yeah, I'm not even sure it fills the volume that the old warehouse did.  I really hope this happens!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Yeah, the only folks who might be opposed to it that I can think of would be the folks who shelled out the big bucks for the north facing penthouses in the freighthouse lofts just south of this lot. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: is he really against this one? it's not dramatically taller (if at all) than it's surroundings, which was the "problem" with the broadway.
Is he for knocking down the midrises from the first part of the 20th century that already stick out all over the Xroads? That guy sucks. It's called Kansas CITY(!).
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Anybody see the new gallery across from the Arts Incubator this last first fridays?  I didn't catch the name but they said it was put on by a church.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Was it called something like 'Slaps and Tickles'?  I saw that in the Pitch and hadn't herd to it before.  Was it cool?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Midtownkid wrote: Was it called something like 'Slaps and Tickles'?  I saw that in the Pitch and hadn't herd to it before.  Was it cool?
Well, a church called 'Slaps and Tickles' would be interesting but I think I would have remembered that name. Soooo, I don't think that's probably it.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Midtownkid wrote: Was it called something like 'Slaps and Tickles'?  I saw that in the Pitch and hadn't herd to it before.  Was it cool?
The Slap 'n Tickle is a kickass gallery, but I doubt it is run by a church (lots of erotica), and it isn't new.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

ahh, I haven't noticed it before...though its been a while since I've been to a FF.  I'll be there next month though!  Woo Hoo!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

loftguy wrote: Dermadoctor is a downtown KC business success story.   They sell an expanding line of surgical quality cosmetics and moisturizers and distribute worldwide from their shop. They started 10 years ago in the RiverMarket and have been in the west crossroads for about five.  They are doubling their size with this move.
Cool signage.

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I'd be her patient, anyday.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Ahhhh...cartoon love..But then again you loved the Western Auto sign also..SLUT
P&L Free since 2008
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Anybody see the new gallery across from the Arts Incubator this last first fridays?  I didn't catch the name but they said it was put on by a church.
I did.  Very cool, I loved that guy's work too.  I tried finding his name online this week, but no luck.  John Laux or something, do you remember!? : )
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

don't think i mentioned this before, but the CCA has decided to focus PIAC improvements on wyandotte to create the "hub" that the neighborhood desperately needs. this would feed off what already exists there (black bamboo, mildred's, YJ's, elements of green, PAC).
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Sounds like an awesome idea that I hope is replicated in the urban core.

Collison: OfficePort KC has been a success so far, and plans to keep expanding

Four months after opening OfficePort KC in the Crossroads Arts District, Shaul Jolles is finding there?s a good market for entrepreneurs needing cheap space to set up shop.

He?s filled 46 ?ports? of his venture at 208 W. 19th St. with monthly tenants, all happy to have a place to work complete with a snail-mail address and state-of-the-art telecommunication service, and now has opened an adjoining space, called JavaPort, which costs even less....

An OfficePort space rents for $400 per month, no lease required and 24/7 access, and provides users with a 70-square-foot work station, desk, high-speed Internet access, phone and IT support. JavaPort basically gives you a hip, sunlit room to roam, get Wi-Fi, receive business mail and, of course, drink coffee, for $125 per month.

zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

$400/month.  seems pretty steep to me.  I'm not sure exactly what you get for that....obviously your fill of coffee from Rostarie
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I actually walked through Office Port and Java Port Saturday night.  The $400/mo gets you a space surrounded by some modern 'curtain walls,' a desk, a large rolling file cabinet that locks and access to a fax/printer.  I imagine the phones are included, but not sure about phone service fees.  My friend who knows the owner says they are doing great and only had a few available spaces left on the ground floor.

I was a little perplexed by the Java Port, but my understanding is for $125/mo you have access to the room, which is set up 'coffee shop' style with high tables/chairs - basically a place to have conference meetings.  They actually used reclaimed wood from Union Station flooring for the table tops.

I wish them well.  I know other cities have tried this type of venture before, but it's such a great location for the Crossroads and the inside of the building looks great.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

zonk wrote: $400/month.  seems pretty steep to me.  I'm not sure exactly what you get for that....obviously your fill of coffee from Rostarie
A place to meet clients that isn't your kitchen?

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

zonk wrote: $400/month.  seems pretty steep to me.  I'm not sure exactly what you get for that....obviously your fill of coffee from Rostarie
Sounds like basically a fully outfitted cubicle, mail service, phone/internet, IT support.  I don't know if they have shared conference type facilities?  Heck, I expect a lot of home entrepeneurs probably spend upwards of a $100 a month just to get mail service at one of those shipping stores.