P&L District: 12th & Main Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: P&L District: 12th & Main Site Proposal

Post by KCPowercat »

they are there to sell their condos and their retail space.  They might come up and ask you some questions but they are more than happy to talk to you and give you information.  Just go into town pavilion, go to the 30th floor and take a left out of the elevator.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

KCPowercat wrote: they are there to sell their condos and their retail space.  They might come up and ask you some questions but they are more than happy to talk to you and give you information.  Just go into town pavilion, go to the 30th floor and take a left out of the elevator.
Alright, thanks!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Tosspot wrote: We can do a lot better than that. The streetfront of the building in this rendering looks as though it hardly cares about street-level design. I wouldn't say it's outright hostile to the street from a design perspective, but the designers could probably do better than this.

EDIT: that storefront for the grocery store really is miserable the more I look at it. But hey, who really gives two shits about quality design in this city anyway? Not many, apparently.
Several of the P&L blocks have badly sloping elevations including this one.  It will be very interesting to see just how successfully Cordish deals with that issue. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I asked the same question the other day in the Aerials thread.  I think that slope is far greater than the pics show it.  I was driving down there again today, and the bordering for the arena construction was eye level to my right.....while i could see down into the pits near HRB on my left.

I think those renderings of a nice paved level street thru P&L are not feasible at this time.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

The floor of each retail space will step down the hill so that they are near the same elevation as the sidewalk at the front door.  I don't know how Cordish will successfully or unsuccessfully "deal with the issue," that's just how buildings have always been built.  Well, adjusting the floor elevation, or using steps at the entrances, which is frowned upon in the age of ADA.

As for that rendering-- the tower and the supermarket don't bother me so much.  I mean, it isn't world-class architecture, and I don't know why they had to go out of town to get the architect for something so generic. . . I would imagine it came down to who would design it for the lowest fee, or Cordish already has a relationship with that firm.  But it isn't bad in the overall urban scheme.  Personally I don't mind the occasional blank wall, because I like to see variations in density-- I think it is a good thing to make a pedestrian speed up, slow down, look up, look across the street, instead of constantly moving at the same speed, looking in the same direction.    What is bad is the buildings in the background behind the supermarket, but I'm hoping those are just placeholders in the rendering.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

man, i guess this means they still haven't completely cleared the site of the old foundations.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

ComandanteCero wrote: man, i guess this means they still haven't completely cleared the site of the old foundations.
they are moving pretty slow. I doubt they will have everything ready for the parking garage to go in by march. When are they suppose to be done with this 22 story residential? I thought they said Winter 2006...December by the latest...seems way out of reach to me.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

yeh, I had the impression they had said they'd be done clearing the site by October.... :?
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Not much has changed. This is getting kind of depressing. Are we not going to have a 22 story residential building?  :( There isn't that much further they have to dig once the basements are torn up.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

digging all of that out takes time.  The tower will rise, don't worry about that.  Look how fast the H&R block tower rose up.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCPowercat wrote: digging all of that out takes time.  The tower will rise, don't worry about that.  Look how fast the H&R block tower rose up.
really. once they get the site prepared, they waste no time at all.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Wow.  Looks like they finally got back to work on this block. 
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Wow.  Looks like they finally got back to work on this block. 

I don't think they ever stopped . . .    :?
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

They have moved along very fast:

KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Wow, congratulations to the first block that didn't sit with a puddle of murky green water for 6 months before construction.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Hopefully some actual construction will start soon.  They are going to have to bust some ass to get anything open by Fall, the way things look now.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

lock&load wrote: Hopefully some actual construction will start soon.  They are going to have to bust some ass to get anything open by Fall, the way things look now.
Well, the garage is suppose to be going in underground on the left side of the picture, with the residential going ontop of that. They have started digging out that corner so it should move pretty fast.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Anyone know how many levels this garage is supposed to be?  The "live" block was just beginning to be dug out this time last year....and that garage is not even close to being done.  No way this is open in 9 months.  Take that and quote it Justin ;)