Ward Parkway Mall just sighed up

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Ward Parkway Center

Post by KCMax »

Not surprising at all. Town Center has a 1% CID, which Prairie Village cited to justify its own 1% CID, and now Ward Parkway probably feels they have to do the same to keep up. These are going to start spreading like wildfire as they're a nice way for developers to get taxpayers to foot the bill for private improvements, and they're easier to sell to the public than a general sales tax.

I agree, its silly to use it to house another big box. Be forward thinking here - what will retail look like 10-20 years from now? I think they have to do something bold and creative here, otherwise, what is really distinguishing the mall from shopping at big box stores at 119th and Metcalf?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I see the CID as a way to justify the razing of Dillards and maybe a way to reconfigure the parking garage.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

loftguy wrote: rather than making it part of the rent/common area maintenance charges to the retailer.
In which case the retailer then would pass those costs onto its customers. Either way, customers pay.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCMax wrote: Not surprising at all. Town Center has a 1% CID, which Prairie Village cited to justify its own 1% CID, and now Ward Parkway probably feels they have to do the same to keep up. These are going to start spreading like wildfire as they're a nice way for developers to get taxpayers to foot the bill for private improvements, and they're easier to sell to the public than a general sales tax.

I agree, its silly to use it to house another big box. Be forward thinking here - what will retail look like 10-20 years from now? I think they have to do something bold and creative here, otherwise, what is really distinguishing the mall from shopping at big box stores at 119th and Metcalf?
Considering that Ward Parkway was able to land a coveted TJs there's no reason that shopping center couldn't be something of a high profile, new urban development. Demos don't lie...
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

trailerkid wrote: Considering that Ward Parkway was able to land a coveted TJs there's no reason that shopping center couldn't be something of a high profile, new urban development. Demos don't lie...
I disagree. Sometimes they do lie.
kcmokid
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcmokid »

Ward Parkway Center renovation moves forwardImage

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/04/28 ... ation.html
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

good news for WP, though i would rather have seen Trader Joe's, and the city and private resources, going into areas closer to the urban core.  for example, a nice new TJ's-anchored development in the burgeoning but still underutilized 51/Main area with some retail, commercial, and residential.  but, i suppose i'll take it. 
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

If I had to choose one thing from WP that I'd rather see in the core, especially the S. Plaza area, it'd be Target. TJ's is the kind of retail fetishism that seems really vulnerable to the notoriously fickle tastes of the bobos.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

chingon wrote: If I had to choose one thing from WP that I'd rather see in the core, especially the S. Plaza area, it'd be Target. TJ's is the kind of retail fetishism that seems really vulnerable to the notoriously fickle tastes of the bobos.
sure, but why not have both, and more?  imagine an urban target, TJ's, and other retail anchoring a mixed-use development in South Plaza or the Linwood/Main area...that'd be tight.   
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Of course.

I merely meant that, even when we lived in NE, there were times I would drive to WP to go to Target, and I'm not much of a Target fan. I would assume that there a lot (like 150K) people within say 5 miles of 51st/Main who would go to Target 1/month, and more like 25K (W.A.G.) who would go to TJ's that often.

Mainstream retail is abysmal in the core, but I know for a fact people there buy shit.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chrizow wrote: good news for WP, though i would rather have seen Trader Joe's, and the city and private resources, going into areas closer to the urban core.  for example, a nice new TJ's-anchored development in the burgeoning but still underutilized 51/Main area with some retail, commercial, and residential.  but, i suppose i'll take it.  
Did they have plans to open more stores in KC or are these the only two?

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCMax wrote: Did they have plans to open more stores in KC or are these the only two?
to my knowledge TJ's has not stated it plans to open more stores in KC, although i think it is likely.  i would liek to think they'd open one in the city, but i dont think they will. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

chrizow wrote: good news for WP, though i would rather have seen Trader Joe's, and the city and private resources, going into areas closer to the urban core.  for example, a nice new TJ's-anchored development in the burgeoning but still underutilized 51/Main area with some retail, commercial, and residential.  but, i suppose i'll take it. 
Guess you just might not entirely agree with your new mayor.
Throughout the campaign, James said, he came to realize how every part of the city feels ignored and shortchanged. He said he had put together a transition team that labored over the past month on recommendations to create a more unified city in which everyone realizes that a benefit to one area can benefit the whole.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/02/28 ... z1LUXHUJYv
Don't forget that area of the city needs some assistance also.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Yea Chrizow, why don't you agree 100% with Mayor Sly James??????

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCMax wrote: Yea Chrizow, why don't you agree 100% with Mayor Sly James??????
:lol:
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

chrizow wrote: good news for WP, though i would rather have seen Trader Joe's, and the city and private resources, going into areas closer to the urban core.  for example, a nice new TJ's-anchored development in the burgeoning but still underutilized 51/Main area with some retail, commercial, and residential.  but, i suppose i'll take it. 
Yessir!!
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

So you would support tax help for a development at 51st/Main even though it's within a mile of some of the richest people in the city? Just curious...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's also within 2 miles of some of the poorest people in the City.
There is no fifth destination.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

FYI.  The tax help for Ward Parkway is an additional 1% added to the sales tax to be paid by shoppers at the mall.  The city, county, and state still get to keep all of the taxes that are currently collected by sales at the mall or paid by mall and store owners.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: So you would support tax help for a development at 51st/Main even though it's within a mile of some of the richest people in the city? Just curious...
well, ward parkway is within a mile of some of the richest people in the city too (and 100 feet from old leawood).  i would prefer that the city not provide tax incentives at all at this point, but if we are going to, yes i would prefer those resources to go more into RCP corridor rather than a dated enclosed mall (or only slightly less-dated "lifestyle center" development).  i don't think that public funds going to ward parkway mall really is going to "the people" any more than public funds going to 51st and Main.  indeed, i would say the opposite, proximity to sunset hill notwithstanding.