GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 2012 CHIEFS!

Post by KCMax »

I think the booing - however much there was -was pretty classless. I think it was also terrible by the Chiefs to put the fans in the position of cheering for an injury to their QB because they continue to run a QB who has clearly demonstrated to everyone else in the entire city that he has no business playing.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KC-wildcat wrote:It was absolutely ridiculous, but considering the number of drunk, beligerent, white trash assholes in Arrowhead Sunday, it wasn't very surprising.
I go to Arrowhead and am always surprised at what I see. It's like a parallel universe Kansas City with blinged out jeans, puked stained shirts and 300-pound midrift.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

beautyfromashes wrote:
KC-wildcat wrote:It was absolutely ridiculous, but considering the number of drunk, beligerent, white trash assholes in Arrowhead Sunday, it wasn't very surprising.
I go to Arrowhead and am always surprised at what I see. It's like a parallel universe Kansas City with blinged out jeans, puked stained shirts and 300-pound midrift.
Good observation. Arrowhead is definitely no stranger to Ed Hardy, True Religion, bedazzled, distressed jeans. for whatever reason.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Very disappointed in the cheering regarding Cassel's injury. The incident is receiving quite a bit of discourse in the sporting world. KC has always been known in that world, whether it's accurate or not, for being a classy place with classy fans - hate to see this happen, not to mention comeing on the heels of some boorish behaviour at the all star game also in the national limelight.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

There's alot of factors here. I know there are some drunken b00bs out there who were cheering for Cassel's injury. There's no denying that. But the majority of the fans were cheering because it was a 16-yard run by Charles. Cassel getting up and walking off the field on his own power got a nice cheer. Quinn warming up and entering the game.

You don't need to throw the whole fanbase under the bus just because of a few idiots. Winston also needs to shut his mouth and get off his soapbox.
Last edited by KCRoyal on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Wow. I agree with Jason Whitlock about this. Man, I must be really off base here? :-k

KC's anger directed toward GM and Owner, not Matt Cassel
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Atlantic: No, Kansas City Football Fans Aren't Bloodthirsty Idiots

Onion: Chiefs Scold Fans For Cheering Brady Quinn
“You cheer for a touchdown, a field goal, or even when a player you don’t like gets hurt, but you don’t cheer Brady Quinn. It’s basic human decency.” Winston also told reporters he was extremely embarrassed to be playing for a team with despicable fans that would give Brady Quinn a raucous ovation.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Screw you, ESPN!

I reject the question, "Would you ever cheer because a player got hurt like Chiefs fans did for Matt Cassel on Sunday?"

http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollRes ... Id=3227701
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

AllThingsKC wrote:Screw you, ESPN!

I reject the question, "Would you ever cheer because a player got hurt like Chiefs fans did for Matt Cassel on Sunday?"

http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollRes ... Id=3227701
If you're a football fan and have cheered a big hit, you've already cheered for a player getting hurt. The fact that ESPN is asking this - they of the "Jacked UP!" feature - is hypocritical and totally predictable.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

It's one thing to cheer the big hit when both players get up afterwards. It is another thing when one player doesn't get up, especially if that player is for the home team and the home team fans cheer the hit.

Didn't see the game nor the individual play, just read some of the commentary afterwards. So how did the fans react after Cassel got up? When he went to the sidelines? When he went off the field?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Fair enough. For me, it's not a distinction that I'm comfortable making. The average NFL career is around 3 years, and we're all aware of the medical problems they are prone to later in life. Even the hits that everyone gets up from inflict damage, though they don't count as injuries. If the line is that we are okay cheering up to the point a man in peak physical condition cannot get off the ground, I have a huge problem with that. But I know I'm in the minority there.

A few people cheered the injury. But then there were people booing the people cheering the injury, people cheering the play who (presumably) hadn't seen Cassel go down, and people cheering for Brady Quinn coming into the game.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

The media loves to hype controversy.

They are hyping this both ways - what the fans did was terrible or Winston shouldn't have said anything.

The basic problem is you have too many people trying to make a living with sports commentary these days. You have the local newspaper, the sports talk radio guys, the cable shows, the sports web sites/bloggers and reporters, announcers and bloggers trying to make extra income by appearing as guests on radio and tv. Most of these people are not really qualified to evaluate talent, so they go for "conflict stories." Basically, my recommendation is to ignore them.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That's why I have stopped watching ESPN.

Tanget: For me the most interesting thing in all broadcast sports is when they have a former player as the color guy or 3rd guy in the booth. Having someone able to break down plays and techniques is fascinating. Not all of them are good (P90Rex, McCarver), but the good ones (Collinsworth, Francona) are riveting.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: So how did the fans react after Cassel got up? When he went to the sidelines? When he went off the field?
From the video that I posted, it sounds like any other player injury at Arrowhead.

1. The crowd becomes quiet as they see there's an injured Chiefs player and try to figure out who it is.
2. The crowd remains quiet until Cassel get up, then they cheer.
3. The crowd becomes quiet again as Cassel walks to the sideline.
4. Not in the video, but they cheer Quin coming into the game.

From that video, it seems no different from any other player injury. The national media is running with Winston's words that "70,000 fans cheered Cassel's injury." It is clear that the majority of people didn't cheer anything. Moreover, at what point would the crowd have to cheer for it to be considered "cheering for an injury"? It certainly wouldn't be when Cassel got up, would it?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Clark Hunt FINALLY issues a statement, defending the KC fans. He should have done this on Monday, IMO.

The statement from Hunt reads, "I want to make it perfectly clear: A small few who may have cheered when Matt went down do not accurately represent the best fans in the National Football League. Period."

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/ ... a5c4cc5fde
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:
aknowledgeableperson wrote: So how did the fans react after Cassel got up? When he went to the sidelines? When he went off the field?
From the video that I posted, it sounds like any other player injury at Arrowhead.

1. The crowd becomes quiet as they see there's an injured Chiefs player and try to figure out who it is.
2. The crowd remains quiet until Cassel get up, then they cheer.
3. The crowd becomes quiet again as Cassel walks to the sideline.
4. Not in the video, but they cheer Quin coming into the game.

From that video, it seems no different from any other player injury. The national media is running with Winston's words that "70,000 fans cheered Cassel's injury." It is clear that the majority of people didn't cheer anything. Moreover, at what point would the crowd have to cheer for it to be considered "cheering for an injury"? It certainly wouldn't be when Cassel got up, would it?
compelled to point at that the crowd was cheering while Cassel was still on the ground. They very well may have been cheering Brady Quinn warming up on the sideline. I don't know.

But, in a "typical" injury situation, nobody is cheering for the backup while the to-be-replaced player is still motionless on the field.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KC-wildcat wrote: compelled to point at that the crowd was cheering while Cassel was still on the ground. They very well may have been cheering Brady Quinn warming up on the sideline. I don't know.

But, in a "typical" injury situation, nobody is cheering for the backup while the to-be-replaced player is still motionless on the field.
In the video that I posted, at what point does the crowd "cheer" while Cassel is on the ground?

The loudest cheers are 1) the end of the play (cheering for the result of the play), and 2) as soon as Cassel gets up.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Couldn't tell much from the video audio you posted. Wasn't great quality.

Again, I was at the game. My ears worked pretty well from my seat.

As far as I'm concerned, this story is dead. Cassel's career is over as starter.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

So, do you think 70,000 fans cheered while Cassel was down? Or was it just a handful?

The video, which is all I have to go with, makes it sound as if the cheers were when Cassel got up, with perhaps a few random cheers/shouts here or there while he was down. But, collectively as a crowd, the cheer I hear is when he got up.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:So, do you think 70,000 fans cheered while Cassel was down? Or was it just a handful?

The video, which is all I have to go with, makes it sound as if the cheers were when Cassel got up, with perhaps a few random cheers/shouts here or there while he was down. But, collectively as a crowd, the cheer I hear is when he got up.
Like I posted earlier "if you were there in attendance, there was no question that a sizeable number of Chiefs fans took out their frustration with this season, this coaching staff, and with Matt Cassel by cheering his injury."

Again, the audio from that video doesn't tell the story. You had to be there to witness it to understand. Certainly, fans cheered when he got up and walked off the field. But, it's not even a dispute that fans were cheering while he was laying on the field motionless.

Interestingly, I was listening to 610sports today while I was on the road for work. Danny Parkins show. They had Jeff Passan of Yahoo sports weighing in on the Cassel injury. He agreed with Winston and myself that the cheering was despicable and though fans have every right to be frustrated with this franchise, coach, and QB, cheering while he was down was not the right way to vent that frustration. Danny Parkins prefaced the conversation by stating that he was at the game and when fans started cheering when Cassel got injured, he live tweeted about how we were turning into Jets fans. Parkins and Passan then started taking calls on the air from fans who disagreed with Passan and multiple guys called the show to justify why their cheering was appropriate. The jist of their justification was that they're season ticket holders, Cassel makes millions of dollars, NFL should be a gladiator mentality, and one guy even thought Cassel was faking the injury.

We should move on as a city and fanbase. But, don't believe for a second that it didn't happen or try to revise history. It happened. People were caught up in the moment. Arrowhead was at a boiling point. leading up to his injury, cassel was 9 of 15 with 2 INTs and a fumble (all in the red zone) and the staff kept trotting him out there. The fans were frustrated with the game and wanted a change at QB. They were justifiably frustrated with this entire season, this staff, and this QB's performance. They unjustifiably took it out on Cassel after a pretty serious injury.