KC Bike share

Transportation topics in KC
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: KC Bike share

Post by chingon »

Thanks. I'll dig into that study a little.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The studies seem to be a wash but statically speaking (and via common sense) it would seem bicycling down a minor street would have less a chance of issues since there are less moving cars to deal with - and the cars tend to be moving slower.

When KC does urban bike lanes, I do hope they don't put them down Broadway or Main (Midtown) or Grand or Bway (Downtown).
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I missed what this had to do with the KC bike share?
Oh, I am so, so sorry. Just didn't want to start a new topic and since this topic has to do with bikes in the city and this article is about bikes in the city thought it was close enough to the topic.

But then you say nothing about the postings concerning safety, bike lanes, etc. What do they have to do with this topic?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
I missed what this had to do with the KC bike share?
Oh, I am so, so sorry. Just didn't want to start a new topic and since this topic has to do with bikes in the city and this article is about bikes in the city thought it was close enough to the topic.

But then you say nothing about the postings concerning safety, bike lanes, etc. What do they have to do with this topic?
Nothing. Your post led to the digression. Why not start a new topic? I'd suggestion General discussion....Urban Living...we have many options.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So is there someone working/volunteering to shift the bikes around stations so that if one is full/empty, bikes are moved where needed? Am seeing stations either full or empty at times.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote:Nothing. Your post led to the digression. Why not start a new topic? I'd suggestion General discussion....Urban Living...we have many options.
Just about every topic that goes on for a few pages has a digression or two or more for a short period of time. Then it goes back on-topic until another short digression happens and the pattern is repeated. A few times a moderator will start up a new topic if there appears to be a demand or interest, which could have happened here.

As an example of a digression would be the topic concerning the Brookfield Building which has some postings concerning the Hotel Midwest. Why didn't you jump in on that topic?

Of course, your posting did lead to digression of a digression.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Bcycle is offering a free 30 day pass to downtown residents - you still have to pay for rides over 30 mins. I have the code but not sure if they validate that you have a downtown address to get code or during signup. If you live downtown (I'm guessing it's greater downtown), email DNA at dnakcmo@gmail.com, say you live downtown and ask for the code. You can signup online and enter the promo code.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Here's another phone app that I like more than Bcycle's app. It supports many bike systems around the world including Bcyle in KC. Has a nice list view of stations with bike/slot availability. Can do by list or by map.

Spotcycle - Android, BlackBerry, iPhone...

http://www.spotcycle.net/en/appsdevice_en.html
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:So is there someone working/volunteering to shift the bikes around stations so that if one is full/empty, bikes are moved where needed? Am seeing stations either full or empty at times.
yes. tricycle transit is "balancing" the bikes.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

I noticed coming and going from Fanfest that the 12th and Wyandotte station always had a few bikes. It seems like they're doing a good job with the balancing.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/09/36 ... s-and.html
Dislike: The new bike rental system

“The bicycle thing needs some tweaking,” Leavey said.

He, Morga and another friend all rented BikeShareKC bicycles near Union Station but said the system requires you to check in at bike stations every 30 minutes, making it difficult to eat lunch or sight-see.

Well, the system is made for short trips, said BikeShareKC director of marketing and communications Sarah Shipley. And stations are located at sightseeing and transportation hubs so that whether you’ve paid for one trip or a day pass, finding a place to park your bike at a station is easy.

Shipley said others don’t seem to be having a problem with the system, which just launched last week. In fact, she’s pleased with the success so far.

“We’ve had hundred of people using the bikes,” Shipley said. “Even during this heat wave.”
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^No surprise some people won't get it.

BTW, I had a quirky incident last time using it. I checked a bike in at Union Station and it locked in place. Did my US business then tried to check another bike out but it wouldn't let me (on my annual pass). It showed an X for my card, not allowed to check any bike out from any slot. The bike I checked in was still there and it was locked in place but I pushed in further and then some lights blinked confirming the checkin. Then I was able to check out another. This could be bad if you think it's checked in but it's not. You'll get charged $4/hour if you think it's checked in but it isn't. So be sure the lights blink 3 times on checkin - the bike being locked in isn't enough. Fortunately I wasn't in US very long, I didn't hit the 30 min limit overall.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DC bikeshare program increased business in bicycle shops.

http://wamu.org/programs/metro_connecti ... XQ.twitter
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

earthling wrote:DC bikeshare program increased business in bicycle shops.

http://wamu.org/programs/metro_connecti ... XQ.twitter
I can vouch for that. I started using DC's bikeshare in 2011 after living there for four years and it greatly increased my desire to get my own bike.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

neighbor.ly's second crowdfunding project is an expansion of kc's bike share system: http://www.neighbor.ly/en/bikesharekc
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It shows $400K+ already. Apparently major sponsors are already tapped in before the effort started.

$100 for a 2 year pass is a great deal given that it's $65 for one. Downtowers should jump on this one as it will also help expand the system.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

For those working downtown, encourage your downtown company to get involved and send them the links for sponsorship. Someone with HR Block needs to encourage them to sponsor a station as one is really needed near Consentino's. Send it to Hospital Hill hospitals too. Who else?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

These bikes are great. We used them while in town. Hope they catch on and are expanded.

I'll post some pics later.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i wish downtown was flatter.