trader joe's.

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: trader joe's.

Post by jdubwaldo »

](*,)  Except they can't sell wine without jumping through a bunch of hoops, which is sort of what drives much of the excitement about it.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Omaha beats us to it..... 
This is a good sign though, right!?! They are expanding and coming our way at least.....
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

after caring about TJs for awhile, I'm come to realize when they do land here it will be so far away from the city I'll never go there.....so either way for me anymore.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

The kcgroceryservice.com TJ service might actually be reducing KCs chances.  TJ's doesn't need to invest a dime yet has a presence.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Is WP Mall too far out?

I need to check out kcgroceryservice!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

TJ's opening in KC is not an if, but a when and where.  i'd be curious to know where the omaha goods are being distributed from.  

i'm with Dave on "buying local" though.  TJ's isn't that great for the basics, but it's good for specific items like cheap bags of thai-flavored cashews and the like.  it's cheaper and better and fulfilling to get your eggs and produce and whatnot at the nearest farmers market.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

ignatius wrote: The kcgroceryservice.com TJ service might actually be reducing KCs chances.  TJ's doesn't need to invest a dime yet has a presence.
I'm sure kcgroceryservice.com is great, but it can't give them anywhere close to the business they will have when they build here.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

In reading Meg Whitman's (former Ebay CEO) book...she discusses the grocery delivery business..Interesting that she states that it is a unique business in that the more clients you have...the less profitable it becomes.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

So what is the deal with TJ's? What magical shit do they have that nobody else has? It seems to have been touched on, but as far as I can tell it's mostly processed crap for wannabe epicurean yuppies.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mean wrote: So what is the deal with TJ's? What magical shit do they have that nobody else has? It seems to have been touched on, but as far as I can tell it's mostly processed crap for wannabe epicurean yuppies.
or "stuff white people like"  :lol:
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote: So what is the deal with TJ's? What magical shit do they have that nobody else has? It seems to have been touched on, but as far as I can tell it's mostly processed crap for wannabe epicurean yuppies.
for me, it's that they sell things that are often expensive - like nuts - for cheap.  like, you can get a giant bag of awesome cashews, almonds, etc. for about $4 (compare at $8/lb).  cheese too - they have great cheeses that are way cheap.  they also have some nice flavors of granola and the like.  they have some decent, eclusive options in the frozen category that will do in a pinch - pupusas, pierogis, dumplings, etc., all inexpensive.  they have great deals on wine (but, oddly, not beer).  we have historically really enjoyed their jarred curry sauces as well - if you add a couple of your own spices, they are great and an easy dinner to throw together with whatever veggies or meat you have around.  
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

Well, I think we ALL can agree that it is not VITAL that TJ comes to KC. There is, however, a market for things that aren't completely necessary to human survival. I don't really give a shit about TJ, but some people do, for some reason. This is what merits SOME PEOPLE getting excited about it coming to KC.

Plus, they have pretty cheap alcohol.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! THEY OPEN A TJ IN OMAHA AND NOT IN KC!!!
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Im also all about buying local, but they also have amazing coffee and good quickie prepared salads, etc that are healthy options.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Gourmet ingredients cheap - its like a dean and deluca except everything is a cheap house brand. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Huh. I wonder how that works. It's not like they're so big that they can dictate prices like Wal-Mart.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

mean wrote: Huh. I wonder how that works. It's not like they're so big that they can dictate prices like Wal-Mart.
The bulk of the stuff is sold under their own label, so I think they are cutting out some middle men - probably more than anything, its a reflection of just how much mark up there is on that sort of stuff.  I think the natural instinct in selling that stuff, is to go for a luxury image, swanky store, low volume and mark up the price as much as possible.  TJ's is saying screw it, we are going to sell it in volume, out of a down-market store, often in a cheap rent building, in the cheapest packaging we can find, with little to no marketing,
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

mean wrote: Huh. I wonder how that works. It's not like they're so big that they can dictate prices like Wal-Mart.

The way it was explained to me, TJ's is a highly efficient operation.  It's owned by relatives of the German owners of Aldi stores.  They don't force low prices by raping and bullying their suppliers, but rather they seek value and create it, and they've been doing it for 40+ years. 

That model really messes with their competition
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

loftguy wrote: They don't force low prices by raping and bullying their suppliers, but rather they seek value and create it, and they've been doing it for 40+ years.
Anecdotal, but from what I've heard, they do squeeze their suppliers pretty hard.