900 Baltimore Ave.

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: 900 Baltimore Ave.

Post by taxi »

It's too bad that we have to write laws to keep owners/developers from letting historic structures rot to the point of no repair. Should be common sense and common courtesy.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

taxi wrote: It's too bad that we have to write laws to keep owners/developers from letting historic structures rot to the point of no repair. Should be common sense and common courtesy.
You assumption would be more correct in a society that valued its history and culture more than its dollars.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the windows had all been removed when i walked by at lunch. i suspect this building won't see the end of the week.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

100% serious question. Does anyone know where the parking is or will be for the Union Carbide building and the building that is next to it? Isn't the owner of 900 Baltimore Ave the same person that owns Union Carbide? I am wondering if they actually want the space at 900 for parking? This whole soap opera would then make more sense to me, since it seems like the M.O. of KC development.
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Pork Chop wrote: 100% serious question. Does anyone know where the parking is or will be for the Union Carbide building and the building that is next to it? Isn't the owner of 900 Baltimore Ave the same person that owns Union Carbide? I am wondering if they actually want the space at 900 for parking? This whole soap opera would then make more sense to me, since it seems like the M.O. of KC development.
This article mentions that parking for Powell's buildings would be at John's Parking Garage on the SE corner of 9th and Wyandotte, which would be enlarged by demolishing the McWhirter Printing Co. Building to the south of it.

http://www.downtownkc.org/content.aspx? ... xCompID=82

McWhirter Printing Co. Building

Last edited by FangKC on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no fifth destination.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Well, this is something:

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/12/20 ... toric.html
The city has delayed plans to demolish a historic downtown hotel to give a potential buyer time to return with a viable plan to save the 129-year-old building.
Saved for now it appears, but still touch and go going forward.

What does anyone know re: Adam Jones?

I found this 2005 article from the Business Journal:

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... sas%20city
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Still, not a lot of time to come up with a financing plan.
There is no fifth destination.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Jones co-owns the Hobbs Building and was one of the people behind Ripple Glass. He also rehabbed a historic hotel in Boonville, MO
Hobbs' history The 1904 Hobbs Building was first a furniture factory, then a manufacturing/distribution warehouse. "When I bought it in 1997, it was vacant," developer Adam Jones said. "There were no windows, and it was facing structural collapse."

The art When Adam Jones rescued The Hobbs Building more than 10 years ago, he envisioned a community of creators. He got his way. A diverse coterie of artists occupy lofty studios on the third, fourth and fifth floors. Their art, displayed among exposed brick and vast windows, ranges from sculptures to paintings to photography. "Just the feeling of having many artists in one space helps you create better," said Lori Raye Erickson, a mixed-media artist who has occupied a studio in The Hobbs for nine years. "We all get to see each other's artwork and give constant critiques, which is pretty much crucial to every artist." Starting this summer, the building will allow artists public access to use its printmaking facility in the basement. Plans for the area include lithography, etching, letterpress and woodblock. Jones said he's also been working with the city on an initiative to build an outdoor sculpting space.
Sounds like just the guy to rehab this property, provided he has enough capital.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The city should mothball it if they can't find private investor.  Losing that building would be ridiculous.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

KCMax wrote: Jones co-owns the Hobbs Building and was one of the people behind Ripple Glass. He also rehabbed a historic hotel in Boonville, MO

Sounds like just the guy to rehab this property, provided he has enough capital.
Adam has done many buildings, including the Carnival Bldg. on Broadway, which he sold for what may be a record price in KC for a historic rehab, proving there is value in such development.

Adam is likely the most passionate developer in town, when it comes to historic preservation. He is also a very generous guy. I can't think of anyone who is better qualified to save this bldg. Hurray for Adam.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

This is great news, I really hope something works out.  If anyone can get in touch with him tell him he has my free labor to help on this building!  For serious.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

And apparently he's also a co-owner or something of Foundation Architectural Salvage in the WB.  Fingers are crossed.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

FangKC wrote: Another past example of saving a "dangerous" historic building is the old industrial warehouse on the northeast corner of Second and Walnut streets in the River Market. It stood until very recently without a roof, and just standing walls, and it was renovated into office space.

(Correction:  It is now low/mod income loft apartments.)
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

taxi wrote: Adam has done many buildings, including the Carnival Bldg. on Broadway, which he sold for what may be a record price in KC for a historic rehab, proving there is value in such development.

Adam is likely the most passionate developer in town, when it comes to historic preservation. He is also a very generous guy. I can't think of anyone who is better qualified to save this bldg. Hurray for Adam.
Truth.  Adam is sick (that's a good thing).
kid a
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kid a »

adam jones rocks!!! i hope this happens with him....i can't think of anyone
who would more responsible !
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

Also the contractor on the two historical rehabs in Beacon Hill that were so noisy.  Adam's methodology for the last decade or so is to ask the City for the money it would have spent on the demo and create a possible win win for everybody.  

Although he has delayed a few demos that hasn't worked out for him in the past.  He used to have a master carpenter (who's name I can't recall) who used to keep him on task and in the black on his projects, Adam being the visionary.  Since they broke up a decade or so ago Adam has had some good ideas but not much has been completed.

I hope he can show the City he has a plan, the money and a quick timeline for improving this structure.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This again begs the question where is the city before this point. Why isn't more done to hold building owners accountable before the point of a building 'needing' to be torn down?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: This again begs the question where is the city before this point. Why isn't more done to hold building owners accountable before the point of a building 'needing' to be torn down?
Saving old buildings like this is just done to make those DT leaches and developers happy and drains valuable resources that could be spent patching sidewalks in real neighborhoods!  &&&&&&&&
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:Saving old buildings like this is just done to make those DT leaches and developers happy and drains valuable resources that could be spent patching sidewalks in real neighborhoods!  &&&&&&&&
Oh, now. I call sarcasm fail. I don't think even the staunchest "we need to fix the sidewalks, why are we spending a hojillion dollars on a nightlife mall" person would rebuff the city for intervening and spending money to save this building. Well, ok, maybe the staunchest...  :P
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCPowercat wrote: This again begs the question where is the city before this point. Why isn't more done to hold building owners accountable before the point of a building 'needing' to be torn down?
I hate the Government and bureucratic bull shit like "task forces."  But, KCMO needs a CBD historic building task force, the purpose of which is to inspect "at risk" buildings and enforce codes issues.  Ya know, something proactive.