Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
archiKC
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by archiKC »

posted on their facebook and twitter

I think its funny that the person who did this rendering used the same font as bulldog for the signage
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

josey records will open a record store at 1814 oak this month:

https://www.facebook.com/joseyrecordskc/
http://spaceskc.com/blog/new-record-sto ... rossroads/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote:josey records will open a record store at 1814 oak this month:

https://www.facebook.com/joseyrecordskc/
http://spaceskc.com/blog/new-record-sto ... rossroads/
soft opening june 13.

also:

- weinberger fine art has relocated to the former black bamboo space on southwest boulevard (leaving a vacant storefront at 18th & baltimore)
- torn label tasting room should be open this summer
- EDC is working on an "east crossroads urban renewal plan"
- midwest hotel has sold, plans are TBD
- the city is embarking on a "pedestrian programming study" of the main street bridge over I-670 and the main street viaduct near union station (public meeting june 17)
- rhythm & booze is expanding
- marketing agency osborn barr is moving into a renovated 1911 baltimore (from the CBD)
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

DaveKCMO wrote: also:
- the city is embarking on a "pedestrian programming study" of the main street bridge over I-670 and the main street viaduct near union station (public meeting june 17)
Assuming that the triangular remaining portion of the former Walnut ramp on the Main St viaduct isn't going anywhere, my suggestion for it is to parklet it up. If putting trees/grass/flowers there isn't a viable option, at a bare minimum, a handful of (durable and probably permanently attached) tables, chairs, and benches would be nice (and preferably umbrellas/over covering over the tables).
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

swid wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote: also:
Assuming that the triangular remaining portion of the former Walnut ramp on the Main St viaduct isn't going anywhere, my suggestion for it is to parklet it up. If putting trees/grass/flowers there isn't a viable option, at a bare minimum, a handful of (durable and probably permanently attached) tables, chairs, and benches would be nice (and preferably umbrellas/over covering over the tables).
Recall seeing something abut this already

Some kind of shade would be very smart like awnings on tables. That spot is in the sun all day
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pash wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:- midwest hotel has sold, plans are TBD
Tell us more. ...
i would tell you if i knew. new owner hasn't come out explicitly for demolition, so there's that.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The bank owns the lot to the east of the Herford building site
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: - EDC is working on an "east crossroads urban renewal plan"
details:
- proposed by developer matt abbott (he owns a lot of properties in the east crossroads)
- would enable individual projects to apply for 10-year/100% LCRA tax abatement
- boundaries are (loosely) oak to US-71 and truman to 20th
- headed to CPC on july 7, LCRA on july 22, council in mid august
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is good to see effort to encourage development for E Xroads but it sure would be nice to see higher priority to infill central Xroads surface lots - too many of them. I suppose when streetcar is actually launched it may naturally occur anyway - might.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:Is good to see effort to encourage development for E Xroads but it sure would be nice to see higher priority to infill central Xroads surface lots - too many of them. I suppose when streetcar is actually launched it may naturally occur anyway - might.
People have to be willing to sell those lots or sacrifice parking for adjacent tenants. But yeah, it will happen if prices continue to rise. Ain't nothing more worthless than a surface lot...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The planning needs to start now because it takes years for these things to get accomplished.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:
earthling wrote:Is good to see effort to encourage development for E Xroads but it sure would be nice to see higher priority to infill central Xroads surface lots - too many of them. I suppose when streetcar is actually launched it may naturally occur anyway - might.
People have to be willing to sell those lots or sacrifice parking for adjacent tenants. But yeah, it will happen if prices continue to rise. Ain't nothing more worthless than a surface lot...
Does The City own any lots in Xroads? They could promote development of other lots by building a large garage with anchor retail (pursue City Target? Walgreens/CVS? Trader Joes?) on one City lot, temporarily offer priority free parking to those impacted as other lots developed. It might even be worth to offer free shuttle service or even free bus passes for those not along streetcar line. If not specifically this, need to find (even invest in) creative ways to entice development instead of watching surface lot squatters stand by. Eminent domain is a less kinder tool to use but if lot squatters are preventing progress, might be appropriate with mix of above.

My Xroads master plan... Would like to see Main St developed as a contiguous pedestrian friendly street with mix of neighborhood amenities as well as hip retail/eats - thinking Clark St in Brooklyn or Bedford Ave in Williamsburg. Number one goal ideally would be zero surface lots. N/S through car traffic needs to be guided over to Grand/Broadway and mostly off Main. New MAX bus line down SW Blvd and up Mission to KC Joes and to 18th/Vine - eventually upgrade portion to streetcar when it makes sense. Shift Orange MAX line down Grand (straight shot to City Market) after streetcar starts. Add several pocket parks for spots too small to develop.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Yes, the city owns the lots for the convention hotel and Bartle Hall.

Other than that, nothing. Not exaggerating, the city owns nothing else in the crossroads

Development is going to be limited initially by how many blocks have multiple owners. The 1600 block of Walnut/Main is prime land but the block has 11 owners. I'm also amazed how many parking lots are actually are split down the middle and part goes with the building next to it, so you can't just sell the land, you have to get the city to split the parcel too. That same block has seven parcels like that.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

What the City could do - when the next major surface lot project comes near streetcar line in Xroads, if the project wants TIF for garage help, the City could require/help fund a couple floors of parking in garage dedicated to City, which can then be used for idea above. Or the City could simply buy a lot that eventually used for a major project with above application.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I've always liked the idea of having requirements to get incentives like:

mandatory shared parking
minimum height
mixed use
public need

Like a developer promising a discount rate for a preschool and would do it for 15 years they should instantly get incentives to make that happen. If a preschool with space for 40 kids at $500/month opened up they would fill in days.

But I would like to see incentives targeted more towards specific uses. like not necessarily giving incentives to build the whole project but rather the city gives a break equal to the cost of the preschool space itself.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:...temporarily offer priority free parking to those impacted as other lots developed.
the city's transportation policy no longer includes free parking, specifically downtown.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Not as a transportation policy but a new development 'policy' to offer temp free parking while another lot is developed.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Does anyone else hate the building redo at 18th and Main? It's looking terrible! I'd almost wish they'd had knocked it down instead.