OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: New Convention Hotel

Post by MidtownCat »

The great KCrag How Many Stories Is It caper!
bhedges1987
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bhedges1987 »

MidtownCat wrote:The great KCrag How Many Stories Is It caper!
We will never find out!!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Maybe it will be cleared up with official announcement Monday or maybe we have to wait for the final design - this may just be conceptual for now. The Biz Journal didn't mention number of floors, KC Star may have had bad source. Maybe the height in rendering is exaggerated, maybe the KC Star estimated bad floor count (she said 'likely' so may have been of the cuff comment), or maybe it's the way the hotel floors sit on top garage/exhibit/retail floors. Something doesn't seem right though either way with 22/23 floor report. Hotel height per floor is usually much shorter than office building floors. My guess it's either many more floors or the renderings are exaggerated.

I wish it had a residential component, but then more parking would likely be required.
bhedges1987
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bhedges1987 »

earthling wrote:Maybe it will be cleared up with official announcement Monday or maybe we have to wait for the final design - this may just be conceptual for now. The Biz Journal didn't mention number of floors, KC Star may have had bad source. Maybe the height in rendering is exaggerated, maybe the KC Star estimated bad floor count (she said 'likely' so may have been of the cuff comment), or maybe it's the way the hotel floors sit on top garage/exhibit/retail floors. Something doesn't seem right though either way with 22/23 floor report. Hotel height per floor is usually much shorter than office building floors. My guess it's either many more floors or the renderings are exaggerated.

I wish it had a residential component, but then more parking would likely be required.
I just don't see it having more rooms than the sheraton, but half the size.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It's hard to confirm from the renderings, but looks like the lower 10-12 floors are L-shaped like Westin and that the upper 10-12 floors are stacked one of the L legs - so essentially a 22-23 building next to a 10-12 floor building. That sounds like it could handle 800 rooms. But in this case, it probably would not be as tall as P&L Building unless having unusually tall floors for a hotel - maybe if garage/retail/event space is equivalent to another 10+ floors. I suspect the renderings are exaggerated if the above scenario but it could be the floor count reported was an off the cuff remark.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Pretty sure that rendering is correct. Here is how I see it

Really, this is the perfect site for that hotel.

However, I always thought that was such an interesting piece of land and I wish it could remain a natural bluff. I've always imagined this site as a pocket park with the bluff cleaned up and stabilized and a waterfall/water feature added. Some small retail like a coffee shop and resturant with large patios facing inward toward the park. On top of the bluff a smaller building could be built. But that's not gonna happen now...

The real questions now are: What's going on at the top. What are the blank N / S facing walls covered in.

The crown should be developed much more. That could be a cool place for an art installation...hope blank walls are not the end result.

The North and South facing facades of the tower look to be covered in cement panels with a mosaic in the middle. This is going to be a very very visible wall...so it better be amazing looking...
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Midtownkid wrote:Pretty sure that rendering is correct. Here is how I see it

However, I always thought that was such an interesting piece of land and I wish it could remain a natural bluff. I've always imagined this site as a pocket park with the bluff cleaned up and stabilized and a waterfall/water feature added. Some small retail like a coffee shop and resturant with large patios facing inward toward the park. On top of the bluff a smaller building could be built. But that's not gonna happen now...

The real questions now are: What's going on at the top. What are the blank N / S facing walls covered in.

The crown should be developed much more. That could be a cool place for an art installation...hope blank walls are not the end result.

The North and South facing facades of the tower look to be covered in cement panels with a mosaic in the middle. This is going to be a very very visible wall...so it better be amazing looking...
It would be cool if they used the stone from the bluff throughout the hotel.
bhedges1987
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bhedges1987 »

Midtownkid wrote:Pretty sure that rendering is correct. Here is how I see it

Nope, that doesn't add up to near enough rooms. You would still be missing around 500.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

What I question from the rendering is that if it is under 24 floors, it shouldn't be as tall as P&L building even factoring garage/event space - unless it has very very high ceilings in the rooms, which isn't common for convention class hotel rooms. It is more likely either 20 something floors and shorter than depicted or as high as P&L with many more floors. It very well could be high ceilings for every floor but that be unusual.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote:What I question from the rendering is that if it is under 24 floors, it shouldn't be as tall as P&L building even factoring garage/event space - unless it has very very high ceilings in the rooms, which isn't common for convention class hotel rooms. It is more likely either 20 something floors and shorter than depicted or as high as P&L with more floors.
23 floor hotel portion, 7 floors for the base, 4 floors for the grill thing on top for a total 34 floors.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

That could be with maybe a little extra higher ceilings. The same hotel developer did Hyatt in Denver - it's 1100 rooms, 38 floors and 489'. P&L is 481'. Sheraton in CC is 45 floors, 504'. 35+ total floors sounds more realistic if it will be as tall as P&L. But otherwise considering it's more of a tiered L-shape building with maybe larger floor plates, the renderings may simply be exaggerating the height. One rendering implies it as a new tallest in KC.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Great floor count sleuthing here, guys!

A good ol fashioned whodunit.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

MidtownCat wrote:Great floor count sleuthing here, guys!

A good ol fashioned whodunit.
I lol'd

23 stories was just a red herring!
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

I walked by the site today and for what it's worth, it looked like ground level at that site is about level with the top of the 4th floor of the P&L Building, so there is a natural height advantage of about 4 stories that comes into play when looking at the renderings.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

Not sure if anyone is still up, but the site is live...

http://heretostaykc.com/

Don't get your hopes up, it's very basic. I haven't found anything that states how many floors it will have.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Yes, but so do all the people!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Now that page link has been removed...the mystery deepens!
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

Pretty sure that's the same rendering, jus skewed. Notice how it used to be vertical and they tried to cram it into a horizontal space.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

kboish wrote: Now that page link has been removed...the mystery deepens!
It most certainly does. I don't know if I can take much more floor count suspense!